A cheap question...

Dobbit said:
It seems to me a smaller band would be getting a bigger cut off the sales of a cd, personally. I mean, with mainstream acts like Britney Spears, the record company has to pay for promotion and then to get whatever on MTV and all that bullshit. A smaller label with a less well known group probably makes more per cd than a larger one.

No, because the label takes more risk with a more underground act.

This has got to be one of the most tacky threads I have ever read.

Jesus. Do you think anyone sits around here thinking, "Hmmm. That guy says he works at (insert crappy low paying job that you have here). He probably makes about 6 bucks an hour. He's on this message board alot, so he's obviously part time...probably doesn't work more than 24 hours a week...so yeah, he definetly makes less than 20,000 a year."

Get a fucking life, people. This is someone's personal income you're discussing here on their own forum. Have some fucking tact.

:yuk:

Mr. Niel said:
Get a fucking life, people. This is someone's personal income you're discussing here on their own forum. Have some fucking tact.

:yuk:

well said, well said. Young people rarely have tact or manners or even common sense for that matter though. However, since the dawn of rock stars and proffesional musicians, it has been 2nd nature to wonder how much they make. :erk:

Mr. Niel and Land of Grey and Pink, as usual, know all.

for the record, this thread was started by risquit, who i believe is 36. it was backed by me and im 28. so, in respect to the rest of the board, i would say we're the oldest members, by far.

to justify:

i am interested in what the band members make per year for three reasons: 1) they are about the same age as me 2) have a very interesting career and 3)have chosen a relatively very risky career. when people ask me how much i make or whats the job like or what education is required, i tell them. whats the big deal? i would think mike or any of the other guys would be glad to talk about the financial situation of an "underground" musician as long as someone is interested in the career and doesnt just want to compare incomes.......

For the record, the reasons why I posted on this thread wasn't because I am interested in what the band makes. There are a few reasons why I did post:

1) I didn't have anything better to do. Yup, I don't have much of a life, thus I just felt like reading a bunch of threads, and responding to some.

2) I just felt like putting my own 2 cents in for when someone mentioned how much they make per album sold. And for the record, the majority of bands on smaller labels DO make more money per album sold. Generally because the label doesn't spend millions on promotions, and doesn't go to the top state of the art studios to record albums in. (they don't go to complete shit studios either, but it doesn't cost as much as the larger labels because the larger labels choose to record in much higher-tech studios) They also don't pay MTV to get on the air or pay radio stations. The risk that smaller labels take doesn't matter too much for the reason that they don't produce millions of an album. They produce about how many they think they will sell, thus not putting themselves in too much risk for having over-production.

my parents raised me never to talk about money or how much someone makes, and normally i don't, but still... it IS pretty damn interesting. like if they have a day job, what do they do? imagine Mike selling you a hotdog or something next time you're in Stockholm!

a7r0phy said:
my parents raised me never to talk about money or how much someone makes, and normally i don't, but still... it IS pretty damn interesting. like if they have a day job, what do they do? imagine Mike selling you a hotdog or something next time you're in Stockholm!

This guy gets it....funny how the 28 and 36 year olds dont understand something as simple as manners.

and yes, in this case...we know all. :err:

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
This guy gets it....funny how the 28 and 36 year olds dont understand something as simple as manners.

and yes, in this case...we know all. :err:
dude, i wasnt implying that we all ask mike personally what he makes. i, too, think that would be rude (the same reason i dont ask my friends point blank how much they make). asking this question here is tantamount to looking it up on salary.com. but that website doesnt seem to have a category for "professional death metal band" and i dont see mike posting here so we, most likely, arent offending him. not to forget, he found the whole anti-jew thread to be amusing (as opposed to offensive).

i appreciate your concerns regarding rudeness and i agree to a point but why bother posting here if you dont like what its about? you and mr. niel have only made yourselves look like the emily posts of the opeth forum.

on a different note: how does a swedish band get paid for touring in foreign countries? would they have to go through a currency exhange? if so, would they lose money? is there anyone here who would know this kind of stuff? its very interesting to me.

I'd just like to offer a different opinion to this thread. Regardless of how I was raised, I think the notion of a universal set of manners pertaining to an issue like this is ridiculous. There's no reason why one shouldn't be able to inquire about another's income. It's the other person's choice whether to respond, but the question itself is harmless. This is an internet forum, a place for openminded discussion, and hopefully for people who aren't inhibited by needless social restrictions. Also, the internet isn't the place to look for tact and manners, don't expect to find them here in any great quantity. It was just a harmless topic for discussion.

As to the question itself, I remember Mikael commenting that Opeth funds it's own tours, which means that they must be doing pretty well. I wonder also whether they still need day jobs, but I guess if they really enjoy what they do (i.e. Mikael working in a guitar shop as he once did) they might keep them up even though they're better off now.

IAmEternal said:
I'd just like to offer a different opinion to this thread. Regardless of how I was raised, I think the notion of a universal set of manners pertaining to an issue like this is ridiculous. There's no reason why one shouldn't be able to inquire about another's income. It's the other person's choice whether to respond, but the question itself is harmless. This is an internet forum, a place for openminded discussion, and hopefully for people who aren't inhibited by needless social restrictions. Also, the internet isn't the place to look for tact and manners, don't expect to find them here in any great quantity. It was just a harmless topic for discussion.

As to the question itself, I remember Mikael commenting that Opeth funds it's own tours, which means that they must be doing pretty well. I wonder also whether they still need day jobs, but I guess if they really enjoy what they do (i.e. Mikael working in a guitar shop as he once did) they might keep them up even though they're better off now.

my sentiments exactly.

peter talks about day jobs in his interview which is posted somewhere here. the interview is pre-BWP days so i would think they are doing better financially now. i too would like to know if they have to maintain other jobs anymore, or maybe when they are between albums. how does that work? how do they get income? is it one big check or do they get paid like the rest of us?

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
Young people rarely have tact or manners or even common sense for that matter though.

This ageist attitude is so frequently used by adults to discredit the opinions of younger people. The truth of the matter is that there are very many teens and children who are as polite and exhibit manners just as strongly as adults. There are also a great number of adults who are completely bereft of any sense of manners, and behave like idiots towards younger people or to people in general. In truth, I see a lot more adults snubbing, ignoring or being rude to teens than I see teens doing the same to adults. You're supposed to be our role models, but not all of you act like it. It's kind of shortsighted to view all young people based on a stereotype of angsty highschool kids with no respect for authority. How does treating us like lesser beings encourage us to become integrated in society and move towards being the future of our communities?

I think it goes both ways to be honest...it's more of a feedback loop than anything. One side (it doesn't matter which) commits some sort of offense so the other reacts, which provokes something else, and so on. Trying to figure out whose fault it "really" is is kind of a chicken-or-egg question.

Here's how I deal with children (even the little ones) and young teenagers, at least...I always use a matter-of-fact tone with them, the same one I'd use on adults, and I take them seriously and consider what they say before I respond. Young kids especially respond to that...it's different and very striking to them. And not only that, I try to push even young children as far as their intellects can go rather than dumbing stuff down. I think they like that better even though they have to ask for some definitions. After all...the reason I do that is because I know they're capable of learning.

Now, I do think there are some teenagers who to go through a stage of empty rebellion in their lives...that is, completely flouting everything they ever grew up with for no reason other than contrariness, pissing adults off, etc.. Some of them really ARE the "angsty high school kids". Others are not...they're people who actually think through their positions logically...so you can't paint them all with the same brush. You just have to consider the particular individual.

About the salary thing, that started all of this...while I would be interested in knowing what Opeth's day jobs are, for the insight it would give into what they enjoy outside of playing in the band, I don't have a need to know exactly how much they're worth. That seems more like their decision than mine if they want to disclose that...in my opinion, anyway.

Rose Immortal said:
Here's how I deal with children (even the little ones) and young teenagers, at least...I always use a matter-of-fact tone with them, the same one I'd use on adults, and I take them seriously and consider what they say before I respond. Young kids especially respond to that...it's different and very striking to them. And not only that, I try to push even young children as far as their intellects can go rather than dumbing stuff down. I think they like that better even though they have to ask for some definitions. After all...the reason I do that is because I know they're capable of learning.
Agreed, haha. If it wasn't for the years of continuous verbal beatdowns I've received from forums, I'd still be at the Soulboard propagating the 'y0 momma = skank Hoe!' sentiments.

Remember, the only way people learn is if you swear at them repeatedly! :)