Jeff Buckley

Nexis

Feb 2, 2006
I know a lot of you are into a bunch of stuff aside metal around here...so what do you think of Jeff Buckley?
I think he was quite possibly the most original artist in the whole decade of the 90's, hands down. He also put Zeppelin to shame (barely thouogh) with his cover of "Night Flight" from his Live at Sin-é album. Completely amazing. His death was more of a tragedy than pretty much any musician in years. Not to discredit the other musicians who've died early, just based on his musical potential, I guess.

If you haven't heard him...I feel bad for you. Such an amazing voice, such an amazing guitar player/songwriter. I haven't the words, really. Check out the live album from Sin-é album and Grace. Both are amazing, but I like his solo stuff best.

steel102 said:
lol@amazing guitar player, but grace pwns.
he is. or was, sorry. listen to the live at sin-é album. he doesn't shred on that, but as anyone who's slightly intelligent about guitar knows, playing really fast doesn't make you good. listen to some live bootlegs, he covers some zeppelin songs and pulls off solos with ease, and same with other songs. another interesting note, he changed everything from the album when he went on tour, so instead of playing an A chord as 577655 or something, he'd play it as xx79109, and he'd do this on the fly, and it'd be mixed up, and he'd use subtleties in everything, like diminished chords and such. he never played one song the same. most people say he wasn't the greatest guitar player, but most people haven't seen/heard a bunch of his live shows etc. his guitar playing was on par with his singing. he was great.

I still have to get that live at sin-e thing, but the damn thing is like 30 dollars. I have the DVD, sketches for my sweetheart and grace though. Grace's originals are the greatest things ever but the darn cd is way too short and 3 of the songs are covers (and 2 of those aren't even good!). :( :( :(

I definitely view his death as the greatest musical tragedy (well, in terms of squandered potential :p) of the last 20 years at the least.

Jeff Buckley is great. And as far as guitar playing goes, he is great at that finger picking stuff, not to mention live he is usually improvising vocally a lot while playing guitar. It's hard enough singing a simple melody and playing guitar at the same time let alone pulling off that stuff he does. His death was a shame because he could have gone in any direction, because he had a lot of varying influences from Led Zep and the Doors to Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn to Joni Mitchell. And the Live @ Sin-e (the deluxe edition) is my favourite Buckley album. It captures his essence better than his studio recordings.

I've always loved Jeff Buckley. He was definitely one of the greats of our time. His compostions and performances were always so emotive and powerful. It's a shame he had to go.

wankerness said:
I still have to get that live at sin-e thing, but the damn thing is like 30 dollars. I have the DVD, sketches for my sweetheart and grace though. Grace's originals are the greatest things ever but the darn cd is way too short and 3 of the songs are covers (and 2 of those aren't even good!). :( :( :(

I definitely view his death as the greatest musical tragedy (well, in terms of squandered potential :p) of the last 20 years at the least.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...392074-0147945?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174
$25, and more than worth it. I don't know what you're talking about two of the covers he did not being good. Lover You Should Have Come Over = fucking amazing....Lilac Wine = hauntingly beautiful.....Hallelujah...I don't even need to say anything about that.
He totally put Bob Dylan to shame with LYSHCO. you're right about grace being too short. Pick up the legacy edition. it has a second disc of about 10 songs, with some great blues and other stuff and theres a bonus DVD swith all the videos and interviews etc.

Nexis said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C0FHR/ref=m_art_pr_3/104-4392074-0147945?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174
$25, and more than worth it. I don't know what you're talking about two of the covers he did not being good. Lover You Should Have Come Over = fucking amazing....Lilac Wine = hauntingly beautiful.....Hallelujah...I don't even need to say anything about that.
He totally put Bob Dylan to shame with LYSHCO. you're right about grace being too short. Pick up the legacy edition. it has a second disc of about 10 songs, with some great blues and other stuff and theres a bonus DVD swith all the videos and interviews etc.

WHAT? Lover you should have come over isn't a cover! Maybe dylan did a song with the same title or something, but wtf, where did you get that idea?! I was referring to Hallelujah, Corpus Cristi Carol, and Lilac Wine. Lilac Wine is as boring as hell and the Carol just isn't very exciting compared to the rest of it.

Jeff is perhaps one of my all-time favourite musicians. It's all been said before about him, so I won't go into an overly verbose appraisal of his life's work, but I love his music.