Jeff Buckley

I just find it ironic to write someone off for being christian and singing songs that pertain to god (even though that song is clearly a love song between a man and woman) on the opeth forum, when opeth themselves write songs about pagan, occult, and devilish beliefs. That's just odd to me. IT would be like saying "i dont wanna listen to opeth because i dont want them peddling their occult beliefs on me."

The Poona of Peshwa said:
LOL NO, have you heard of the Enlightenment my good sir? The French and American Revolutions? Jesus got teh royal punt about 1730.
Also Lucretius, he owns.

Shut up, the point remains that a huge majority of people who produced great art and achievements (i mean...really worthless ones) throughout history were religious.

BurningSky said:
I just find it ironic to write someone off for being christian and singing songs that pertain to god (even though that song is clearly a love song between a man and woman) on the opeth forum, when opeth themselves write songs about pagan, occult, and devilish beliefs. That's just odd to me. IT would be like saying "i dont wanna listen to opeth because i dont want them peddling their occult beliefs on me."

but satan is COOL so if they sing about that they're not FUCKIN FAGS and they're WAY SMARTER than JEFF BUCKLEY that FUCKIN RETARD cause he sang a COVER with the word HALLELUJAH in it!!111111

wankerness said:
IT REALLY MATTERS IF THAT SONG WAS RELIGIOUS CAUSE IT WAS WRITTEN BY SOMEONE ELSE AND ALSO CAUSE IF HE MEANT IT WHEN HE SANG IT THAT MEANS ALL HIS OTHER SONGS ARE RELIGIOUSLY THEMED ALSO EVERYONE THAT'S EVER BEEN RELIGIOUS WAS WORTHLESS AND AS SOON AS YOU FIGURED OUT THEY WERE RELIGIOUS YOU WROTE ALL THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS OFF AS CRAP THEREFORE IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO FIGURE OUT IF SOMEONE'S CHRISTIAN CAUSE IF THEY'RE CHRISTIAN ALL THEIR STUFF SUCKS OMG OMG OMG SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF JEFF BUCKLEY WAS RELIGIOUS SO I KNOW IF HIS SONGS SUCK OR NOT

My only argument was that the song has some religious factor in it, i never said it was shit because of it.

I only mentioned once that i wasnt a big fan of people selling me god, and there is a big difference between that and being a christian.

Why did you over react once i mentioned one thing negative towards gospel music?

Nuk3m said:
My only argument was that the song has some religious factor in it, i never said it was shit because of it.

I only mentioned once that i wasnt a big fan of people selling me god, and there is a big difference between that and being a christian.

Why did you over react once i mentioned one thing negative towards gospel music?

It was more to the other people in the thread your post just didn't make much sense and was the last one i read so it got quoted

wankerness said:
but satan is COOL so if they sing about that they're not FUCKIN FAGS and they're WAY SMARTER than JEFF BUCKLEY that FUCKIN RETARD cause he sang a COVER with the word HALLELUJAH in it!!111111

Satan is COOL? Really? What do you know about him? Or her, or it? You read his program? What's his message?:erk:

That makes me sick!

Does anyone here seriously think that a Leonard Cohen (that happy-clappy evangelist :rolleyes: ) song would be naively selling Christianity? For facts and speculation about the lyrics take a look at the Wikipedia entry for the song (I had no idea how many other cover versions existed).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallelujah_%28song%29

I absolutely love Grace but haven't heard it for years. This thread has inspired me to dig out some more of Jeff's work. Thanks folks!

Oh and Poona, I second that comment about Wankerness' tabs - I've really appreciated the Opeth stuff, it's absolutely brilliant.

I know this is an old thread, I just couldn't help but to reply to the Jeff/hallelujah/religious thing:

Jeff's music is thought by some to be very spiritual and moving. As for his religious or spiritual beliefs, Jeff had this to say in Dimitri Ehrlich's book Inside the Music: Conversations with Contemporary Musicians about Spirituality, Creativity, and Consciousness:

"I don't have any allegiance to an organized religion; I have an allegiance to the gifts that I find for myself in those religions... I'd rather be non-denominational, except for music. I prefer to learn everything through music. If you want divinity, the music in every human being and their love for music is pretty much it. It's the big indication of their spirituality and their ability to love and make love, or feel pain or joy, and really manifest it, really be real. But I don't believe in a big guy with a beard on a throne, telling us that we're bad; I certainly don't believe in original sin. I believe in the opposite of that: you have an Eden immediately from the time you are born, but as you are conditioned by your caretakers and your surroundings, you may lose that original thing. Your task is to get back to it, to claim responsibility for your own perfection."

Ehrlich, Dimitri. Inside the Music: Conversations with Contemporary Musicians about Spirituality, Creativity, and Consciousness, 1997 Shambhala Publishers, Boston, Pages 157-158

Found that ^ here

Another quote from Jeff about religion:

" Why do they always show Christ up there bleeding and dying on the cross? We don't remember John Lennon lying there with a bullet hole in his head. I'm just against all of it, all religion...I'm against the arbitrary organization of 'God' as a concept. We should all experience it all individually and purely. I don't agree with the separation of God and the body, I don't believe we aren't a part of 'it', I don't agree that it's a man. In most religions there's no place for women. There aren't any women in the Holy Trinity and I need that. I love women, I came from a woman."

Listen to Jeff without any preconceived notions, without mourning his death like he's some tragic hero; the music should come before all that other shit.