Jesus Gibson, Mel Christ, Whatever the Hell er-- Heaven (Earth, whatever)

I'm sure you'll get some numbnuts coming out with a line like this ' Yo, I don't believe that dude, Jesus, died' - As if they weren't expecting it. Like in Titanic, when the ship actually sunk - DOH! :)

ChiefB said:
I'm sure you'll get some numbnuts coming out with a line like this ' Yo, I don't believe that dude, Jesus, died' - As if they weren't expecting it. Like in Titanic, when the ship actually sunk - DOH! :)
Nah, it would be more politically correct conspiracy theories, like "That 'aint Jesus! Everyone be knowing Jesus a black man!", just like when Denzel Washington confronts Christopher Plumber, the prison priest, in Malcom X.

Where does this film end by the way? At the crucifixion, or at the resurrection?

JayKeeley said:
Also, have you read the reports of Mel Gibson's father talking about the Jews? That man is a closet Nazi!!! He even denied the holocaust.
Got some quotes you can share?

Speaking of which, I'm surprised nobody picked up that I'm selling Kristallnacht for $5. It goes for $20 on eBay. Dreamlord? :loco:
Oh yeah, I saw that, but I've got a copy comning through, should be arriving any day soon but I'm a bit annoyed at the wait.

It's no surprise the Jews are protesting about this film, if they ain't being praised to the rafters and/or making shitloads of money from it of course they won't like it. There was a bit in the paper yesterday about how the Jews simply couldn't be responsible in any way for Jesus' death, but I didn't read it. Me and a mate were talking last night about how they were the ones who betrayed him to the Romans and chose Barrabus (sp?) to be freed over him, so it's not like they have much right to complain. Anyway, it's not as if you actually need a reason to hate Jews.

I probably won't see the film, but it's tempting for the appeal of watching Jesus getting the shit kicked out of him :D

I saw the movie. It's easy to look past the religion in the movie, and just see it as a man who is tortured and beaten for standing up for what he believes in. It is VERY brutal, and out of 126 minutes, I think he his beaten for at least 100 of them. Not an inch of his body is left untouched. You really do flinch everytime he gets hit. The acting in this movie is incrdible. I suggest it, even if you're not religious, see it for a history [well, Mel's vision anyway], and you won't be disappointed. It's worth seeing once.

Novembers Paul said:
I saw the movie. It's easy to look past the religion in the movie, and just see it as a man who is tortured and beaten for standing up for what he believes in. It is VERY brutal, and out of 126 minutes, I think he his beaten for at least 100 of them. Not an inch of his body is left untouched. You really do flinch everytime he gets hit. The acting in this movie is incrdible. I suggest it, even if you're not religious, see it for a history [well, Mel's vision anyway], and you won't be disappointed. It's worth seeing once.
I completely agree with Novembers Paul on this. The movie is great. I'm interested in religions and sects and things and watching this from a religious perspective is fine, but I'd suggest going in and watching it as a movie. Jesus was in fact a man put to death because he stood up for something.

Oh . . . and Satan is in almost every scene in the movie. Very interesting . . .

I've heard some oh-so disturbing reports of the gore...sounds wickedly brutal. Like Dream though, I see no reason to plunk down $9 for the theater. This one will be watched from the comfort of my couch in a few months. :)

On a completely unrelated note, I'm very glad to have seen LOTR dominate the Oscars. Truly deserving.

I liked seeing it at the theater just to see the different people walking out when Jesus started to take the beatings. What did they expect??? It's not like this movie hasn't been in the news.

npearce said:
Oh . . . and Satan is in almost every scene in the movie. Very interesting . . .
Hmm, that sounds rather intriguing. Perhaps my interest in the movie just got rekindled, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm probably going to wait for the DVD as well.

Even though the Academy is a mockery of modern celluloid, I'm glad LOTR kicked some serious ass last night. :)

npearce said:
I liked seeing it at the theater just to see the different people walking out when Jesus started to take the beatings. What did they expect??? It's not like this movie hasn't been in the news.
How about the sentiment towards the Jews? Do you think people would leave the theater feeling some further resentment towards them, as some semitic leaders would have feared?

I'm certainly do not have a religious bone, but I must admit that I have always enjoyed watching stories about religion - I know it sounds weird. Take the classic 'The Ten Commandments' that's an awesome film or even 'The Last Temptation of Christ' which got slammed by Vatican when it was released.

Those that have seen it, Could it be an Oscar slammer in 2005?

I haven't even seen it Amman, and I can assure you it won't be involved too much with the Oscars. They don't want the "bad" publicity, and no matter how you slice it, this film has numerous lobbyist groups up in arms.

markgugs said:
I haven't even seen it Amman, and I can assure you it won't be involved too much with the Oscars. They don't want the "bad" publicity, and no matter how you slice it, this film has numerous lobbyist groups up in arms.
*Cough* you mean ChiefB - I have enough problems with US immigration !! :)

But surely, those films which cause controversy do appeal to liberal Hollywood. Not pointing the finger here, but the lobbyist group you speak of is only one - hard line Jews who don't want to be portrayed as the bad guys. First it was the story of Jesus that pissed them off, then it was Shakespeare with 'Merchant of Venice' and now its the world looking at their self-created ghetto wall they have errected on the West Bank. Ooops...politics...slap me on the wrist.

It's probably a good idea to rent The Passion of Christ and Schindlers List together. That way, when you watch the first and end up hating all the Jews, you can watch the other and balance things out.

But if you're really cool, you can watch Willy Wonka inbetween. :loco:

markgugs said:
Yes, it IS the hard-line Jews, and we all know they run the Oscars, and most of Los Angeles/Hollywood anyway, so I still say thee nay!
Exactly!

Willy Wonka > Jews

Except maybe Mel Brooks. :loco: