Jihad

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Has anybody else heard about this 'Freezing Mood, Carnage / Jihad' split album featuring Mayhem and The Meads of Asphodel?

The Mayhem material is from 1990, and it is supposed to be the only material recorded in a studio with the original line-up (featuring Dead on vocals).

The Meads of Asphodel material was inspired by the 9/11 attacks. I'm assuming that means it is some sort of celebration of those hijackers. If that is the case, has the band simply done it for notoriety? Or is the material actually against terrorism.

Tha album cover has some Taliban guy on it. The End has it, but they don't show that part of the cover on their website.

FERLY007PD.jpg

I think it's just 'about' jihad without any leaning in particular. From their description, it sounds like they try to introduce middle-eastern sounds into their music.

We had a thread about Meads...I'll see if I can dig it up.

From December 3rd:

Erik said:
I don't believe Meads of Asphodel are any good though I have nothing to back that up... Anyway, as far as the Mayhem side goes, this split was only a cash-in re-release of the two studio tracks with Dead "Freezing Moon" and "Carnage" from the "A Projection of a Stained Mind" comp.

They have that Tomas Lindberg guy from At the Gates, Lock Up, etc. They play metalcore with a hint of industrial influences. They are easily the best new metalcore/hardcore band around. The riffs remind me of Grip Inc. It's all about the riffs.

JayKeeley said:
From December 3rd:

Originally Posted by Erik
I don't believe Meads of Asphodel are any good though I have nothing to back that up...
Does this strike anyone else as a bit...daft? :erk:

FYI, Pelle (Dead) was not in the original Mayhem line up. Those two songs are fucking great, especially from that recording session, which is indeed the only studio recording featuring Pelle on vocals.

Original Mayhem lineup: Euronymous, Necrobutcher, Manheim. Necrobutcher has not been in mayhem all the time from the beginning-->now, though. He was kicked out (For being 'too normal', I believe) and asked to come back after Euro's death. Manheim was never anything but a hippie.

I can't really say much cos I'm quite partial to slagging off bands I ain't heard before because I can't be arsed to check them out :D