Jobs/Professions

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
We had a thread like this a long time ago and I hate bumping threads that have been dead a long time so here we go.

We know Krow works for an oil company or something. We know CIG is a handyman. What do you all do?

I'm a business/quality analyst for an insurance company. I basically have to do two sets of tasks due to staffing concerns, but basically someone will submit a project to be worked on and it'll get assigned to me. I will go to the business partners who wrote the project and ask them what they want the ultimate goal of the project to be. Currently, I work with an administration system the company uses and write requirements based on enhancing or fixing the system. After this, I present the requirements to people in the company for approvals. At this point, a developer (programmer) is hopefully diligently working on writing the code for the fixes/enhancements. Once this is completed, I will test their code to make sure it both works and that it didn't break anything. I will report defects and then retest fixes for those defects as necessary. I will then write up a project summary and send to the business partners. After this, I move to the next project.

It's boring and sucks most of the time but I'm considered a subject matter expert and only two other people in the company know more about how this system works than I do so I have a little bit of knowledge power as well.

I work in management at a large international company that offers entertainment, hospitality, tourist attractions and vacation packages aimed at a variety of different demographics. I'm involved in collecting data, identifying inefficiencies, event planning and managing personnel on my team.

I’m a maths teacher for 11-18 year olds. I love it, but it’s hard work. Usually get to school around 7am and don’t leave until 17:30. When I get home I generally do some more work in the evening and I also do some work at the weekends. It’s an amazing feeling when you’ve planned a lesson that engages and motivates the students. But it’s also soul destroying when you have those lessons you just can’t engage them or get them focused.

There’s currently a lot of shit that comes with teaching, stuff that feels like box ticking exercises and don’t positively benefit the students. There’s also the insane pressure of achieving good results. There has been a massive change in culture since even I was a school - there’s no accountability on the students these days for not achieving their target grades. It’s all on you as the teacher.

Work in industry, raffining iron ore. Manage my section of the factory, taking samples for analysis, repairs, daily maintenance etc. I empty train wagons of iron ore arriving to the factory. Also got a role to manage loading finished product on to boats shipping it to the customers. As well, i drive alot of this beast moving the finished product. Writing this i just realised i got alot of diffrent tasks at my work...i should get a raise.

48806-l350f-volvo.jpg

PS: Not me in the photo.

Construction worker. Laborers' Local 4 Chicago. Mostly deal with concrete (busting, saw/slab cutting, scarifying, patching, etc.). Also do crane lifts. Occasionally one of the guys you see holding up traffic, just standing there leaning on a shovel......doing nothing.

Reactions: CiG and Dak
Deli clerk at one job, basically a barista at a small coffee chain at another. You need sliced cold meat, I got it. Just don't ask for it shaved cause only plebs like sandwich meat shaved. Slices or fuck off.

I was initially in basic broker customer service but ~4 years back got on the 'outbound' team where we would call customers proactively about requests they had submitted that couldn't be processed. My specialty was account transfers. Customers would want to transfer their Schwab, Fidelity, etc. account to our firm but filled the paperwork out wrong. I'd call 'em up and walk them through fixing their problems. It was a fun job because you get to research the problem before talking to the customer and got to spend more time per customer and develop some rapport with them. It was solid aside from the shitty commute.

Customer service slowly got understaffed over time. We ended up doing regular inbound customer service calls more than our normal jobs (a complete 180 in quality of life). My awesome boss got promoted and replaced by an uptight little shit who ran everything like a prison block. I gave it a year and things kept getting worse so in early September I resigned. Chilling till January and then looking for something that pays close to what I was making before (don't mind a small pay cut), a much shorter commute, and most importantly no customer contact. Looking for more difficulty/complexity but less people-oriented stress. Don't care too much. Something like Ozzman's job sounds decent.

Seriously. Why the fuck would you want meat shaved or otherwise unless it's like shredded pork or something?
Shaved deli meat of any kind is the worst. And a bitch in all aspects; both in daintily sprinkling the shit on your sandwich, and in cleaning off the slicer when I shave the damn shit. Be a normal person and get slices, people. You are only making more work for me and yourselves.

Something like Ozzman's job sounds decent

I'm part of IT in our company. It's nice because the people I mainly deal with act like adults and are competent which was not like my last position there where my boss was a micromanager and spent more time emailing you than talking to you like he gave a shit. There's a balance that needs to exist between manager and subordinate where they don't care too much about your life story but just enough to where it's not going to affect your work if shit hits the fan.

I would not be management material where I work because I typically don't give a shit about people's problems unless it is affecting my performance somehow. As a manager there, you have to care about so and so' s problem with their estranged husband or some shit when you really just need to deal with the problem on your own.

This was my progression of jobs from 2009 until now at this company:

-Mailroom
-Data entry/processing
-Call center (absolutely soul crushing but I think everyone should do this job for at least a year)
-Essentially I learned the system I deal with now but worked in the area that processed contract changed
-Complex support analyst (basically a high performing subject matter expert within the business area)/apptentice QA
-My current position

6 promotions in 8 years. Slowly climbing that ladder until I can run shit.

Last edited:
I would not be management material where I work because I typically don't give a shit about people's problems unless it is affecting my performance somehow. As a manager there, you have to care about so and so' s problem with their estranged husband or some shit when you really just need to deal with the problem on your own.

That wouldn't bother me so much. Interpersonal stuff within the company is a lot easier IMO than dealing with introducing yourself and feeling out a new pissed off customer every 10 minutes. Though maybe that's just me as I've always had social anxiety with regards to new people. I'd rather help someone I know work through a major life crisis than deal with someone I don't know gripe about the AC being too hot.

I'd rather help someone I know work through a major life crisis than deal with someone I don't know gripe about the AC being too hot.

I'm with you here but I would be willing to help them out with a problem if I had already known them a while or had some strong, instant connection with them. I could talk about interpersonal work dynamics for hours, my dude. The stories I could tell...

Last edited:
retail atm. love the hours, location and total lack of stress (it's a quiet store so it's pretty easy, i totally forget about the place as soon as i walk out the door) but i could really do with more money now so i'll likely get something vaguely more ambitious this coming year. i've also been running a department for a magazine on the side until fairly recently; was responsible for recruiting and managing my own team, soliciting work from them, editing/publishing it, as well as collaborating with other department heads on various projects. i had a lot of freedom and it was basically my baby, so i enjoyed it a lot, but it was unpaid and my team was understandably unreliable so i eventually got tired of it.

I'm a teacher at a railway education company. Usually teaching new train drivers the safety rules and the technical aspects of stuff like breaking systems, on board train control systems aswell as the general workings of a vehichle/locomotive.

While as I said teaching new train drivers is my main job I also do quite alot on-service training for more seasoned drivers and railway construction workers.

I'm also upholding my license to drive trains which require me to drive a certain amont of trains myself each year. Which for me is usually some kind of cargo train and/or railway construction train/machine.

I work for a small company which means everyone does their own thing. So I most of the time manage everything from planning, making course material, bringing in payments from customers and stuff like that. I'm very free when it comes to work times and stuff as long as what needs to be done gets done.

Last edited: