Jonas does some Guest Vox

Schism

Evacuate, Assemble here..
Jan 15, 2003
Mittagong, NSW Australia
Visit site
From Blabbermouth:

Finnish melodic death/doom metallers SWALLOW THE SUN have set "Hope" as the title of their third album, due on February 7, 2007 release via Spinefarm Records. The follow-up to 2005's "Ghosts of Loss" was recorded at Seawolf Studios in Helsinki and was mastered on Oct. 16 at Finnvox studios with Minerva Pappi.

"Hope" track listing:

01. Hope
02. These Hours of Despair
03. The Justice of Suffering
04. Don't Fall Asleep
05. Too Cold For Tears
06. The Empty Skies
07. No Light, No Hope
08. Doomed to Walk the Earth

According to the band, "The album will feature vocal appearance by Jonas Renkse of KATATONIA on 'The Justice of Suffering'. A single of 'Don't Fall Asleep' will be released prior to the album release, and it will include a cover of TIMO RAUTIAINEN AND TRIO NISKALAUKAUS song 'Alavilla mailla', with AMORPHIS singer Tomi Joutsen on vocals."

"Ghosts of Loss" entered the official Finnish album chart at position No. 8.

Reactions: Swany
Yeah I read this the other day, I wasnt gonna buy the new STS album seeing as their 2nd wasn't anywhere near as impressive as their 1st, and didnt really show much growth in sound or theme, but Jonas featuring on 1 track of this album is enough to make me buy it.

I would like this band a lot more if they had mostly clean vocals. hopefuly this album will be like that.

Schism said:
From Blabbermouth:
[...]

According to the band, "The album will feature vocal appearance by Jonas Renkse of KATATONIA on 'The Justice of Suffering'. A single of 'Don't Fall Asleep' will be released prior to the album release, and it will include a cover of TIMO RAUTIAINEN AND TRIO NISKALAUKAUS song 'Alavilla mailla', with AMORPHIS singer Tomi Joutsen on vocals."

Sounds awesome :D Lots of cool stuff then, and Tomi Joutsen with STS, I hope I will hear that song live one day :cool:

As for the vocals, I think that Mikko does beautiful growl-vocals, he´s in the top 10 of that kind of singers for me. It also fits with the music, so majestic and dark. I´m not entirely sure, since I haven´t heard him singing with clean voice much - some songs only have short pieces - but I think his growls seem way better than his clean vocals, so it wouldn´t make too much sense to change. Could be a wrong impression, though, since his speaking voice is pretty cool, too.

Scourge of Malice said:
Hes got some of the best growls for sure, I like their clean vocals too though.

have you heard Mikko sing in Enter My Silence? Pretty neat stuff aswell :) He was on the debut called "Remotecontrolled Scythe" (but now EMS have a different singer).

Can't wait to hear the new Swallow the Sun album. Especially the song with Jonas doing guest vox.

There's a part 1/2 interview of Swallow the Sun in finnish at http://www.noise.fi/haastattelut/?id=384. I read the interview earlier today and the band doesn't reveal how the new album, Hope, is going to sound like. But they do mention that by their standards Ghosts of Loss was very bleak and heavy album and that Hope ain't gonna be as heavy. Guitarist Raivio also tells that Hope sounds like the mixture HIM, My Dying Bride and Entombed. But the interviewer tells that Raivio laughs after the comparision, so you can't really tell if he is for sure or is he just kidding. But I guess we'll just have to wait and find out. So check out http://www.070207.com/site/index.php on 1st of November for samples and stuff.

My beef with STS is how overrated they've gotten in. There's a lot better Doom bands such as Daylight Dies, Novembers Doom and October Tide who are shadowed by their success. Damn those melo-death influences :p

i would like to listen clean vocals instead of growls, enough already with the doomy cliche