Jonas does some Guest Vox

Mh. Great. Looking forward to hear this, as Swallow the Sun is, from my point of view, one of the best bands ever and not overrated at all.

DiviniaCommedia said:
Mh. Great. Looking forward to hear this, as Swallow the Sun is, from my point of view, one of the best bands ever and not overrated at all.

Well said, I couldn't agree more. It's ok not to like StS, but to calling them overrated is just bollocks.

Anyways if you want real doom, don't listen to StS, listen to for example Reverend Bizarre or Fall of the Idols.

Hevimees said:
Well said, I couldn't agree more. It's ok not to like StS, but to calling them overrated is just bollocks.

Anyways if you want real doom, don't listen to StS, listen to for example Reverend Bizarre or Fall of the Idols.

Hehe. I guess what's "real doom" or not can be discussed... I have, for example, never really cared for the more traditional type of doom, no matter how much people praise Candlemass and similar bands. I haven't heard very much by Reverend Bizzare, but I can't say I liked what I heard. =p As for Fall of the Idols, I've never heard of them. :S

Funeral doom and Death/doom for the win!

DiviniaCommedia said:
Hehe. I guess what's "real doom" or not can be discussed... I have, for example, never really cared for the more traditional type of doom, no matter how much people praise Candlemass and similar bands. I haven't heard very much by Reverend Bizzare, but I can't say I liked what I heard. =p As for Fall of the Idols, I've never heard of them. :S

Funeral doom and Death/doom for the win!

The little genre-police inside me got out when I wrote my last post, sorry about that. I guess it was Kev's comment that pushed me over the edge, since I think of StS mostly as a death metal band.

Fall of the Idols is rather traditional doom, so you probably won't like them either. For the same reason I can understand why you don't like Reverend. I actually didn't like them some years ago either, but nowadays I've also gotten into the more traditional type of doom.

Some teasers in the form of articles from the pre-listening sessions of the new StS album:

First in Finnish: http://www.imperiumi.net/int_2.php?id=813
and then in english: http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/article.php?article_id=141

EDIT: A comment made by Mikko Kotamäki about the new album: "If someone can hear doom on this record then he's got shit in his ears". Finnish speaking folks can find this here: http://www.noise.fi/haastattelut/index.php?id=384

I was drunk when I said that man...And who cares what people claim what to be...in the end its all FUCKING METAL!!!! Don't take things seriously, then you will have a fun time.

Hevimees said:
The little genre-police inside me got out when I wrote my last post, sorry about that. I guess it was Kev's comment that pushed me over the edge, since I think of StS mostly as a death metal band.

Fall of the Idols is rather traditional doom, so you probably won't like them either. For the same reason I can understand why you don't like Reverend. I actually didn't like them some years ago either, but nowadays I've also gotten into the more traditional type of doom.

Some teasers in the form of articles from the pre-listening sessions of the new StS album:

First in Finnish: http://www.imperiumi.net/int_2.php?id=813
and then in english: http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/article.php?article_id=141

EDIT: A comment made by Mikko Kotamäki about the new album: "If someone can hear doom on this record then he's got shit in his ears". Finnish speaking folks can find this here: http://www.noise.fi/haastattelut/index.php?id=384

Swallow the Sun is often described as a "doomy death metal" band, and I think that description fits very well. Although the music style is mostly some sort of slower death metal, it has a atmosphere most death metal band can only dream of. I find it impossible to listen to songs like "Through Her Silvery Body", "The Ship" or "Gloom, beauty and Despair" and not think "doom!".

I read the article on metalstorm... If "Hope" is half as good as the one who wrote it claims, I'll be in heaven. :p Strange that the article made "Hope" seem like such a doomy album when Kotamäki said it's not. I guess it will be something in the vein of the previous albums, with the death metal music with doomy atmosphere.

I WANT THAT ALBUM NOW!

DiviniaCommedia said:
Swallow the Sun is often described as a "doomy death metal" band, and I think that description fits very well. Although the music style is mostly some sort of slower death metal, it has a atmosphere most death metal band can only dream of. I find it impossible to listen to songs like "Through Her Silvery Body", "The Ship" or "Gloom, beauty and Despair" and not think "doom!".

That's true, but it's doomy death metal, not deathy doom metal :rolleyes: I'll shut up now :)

DiviniaCommedia said:
I read the article on metalstorm... If "Hope" is half as good as the one who wrote it claims, I'll be in heaven. :p Strange that the article made "Hope" seem like such a doomy album when Kotamäki said it's not. I guess it will be something in the vein of the previous albums, with the death metal music with doomy atmosphere.

In that Finnish interview they said that when they listened to the stuff they had recorded, bands like Pantera, Napalm Death and Carcass came to mind. A little later they said that the new album sounds like a mix of Him, Negative, My Dying Bride and Entombed. With some laughs after that...

So the best bet is probably just to guess that Hope will sound like Swallow the Sun, with some new twists and turns.

The Finnish article on Imperiumi gives the same impression as well, that Hope will be an excellent album. The reporter goes even so far that he predicts the album a top place on the Finnish album chart.

DiviniaCommedia said:
I WANT THAT ALBUM NOW!

My thoughts exactly. The intro on www.070207.com is so good it's torture, since there's still three month's wait ahead :erk: