Judas Priest - Painkiller

MURAI

-
Nov 6, 2002
Canada
Looking through the Five Perfect albums thread I read many of you mentioning Painkiller. I love this album. I bought "Screaming For Vengance" and "British Steel" earlier, so I expected something more catcy and hard rockish. But I was surprised that it was Priest being more heavy.

If you like that album, Murai, you should seek out Cage - Darker than Black. It's in the same vein of extremely melodic, but super powerful metal. The singer can sing like Halford, although he has several different styles that he is adept in, including some death metal screetches here and there.

There is one song from the Darker than Black album on their Cage Myspace link

"Painkiller" is an excelent album. If JP would had split and never done anything afterwards would have been the best swan song in metal history (actually I guess that's why "Jugulator", "Demolition" and even "Angel Of Retribution" can't shine a much or at all in comparison)

Still my best all-time fave album is "Defenders Of The Faith" because of several reasons and thus not even "Painkiller" can top it.

NP: Helloween - 'The King For A 1000 Years'

As far as straight up, classic Metal goes, Painkiller is hard to beat. I recall when that came out - I had looooong since given up on Priest and someone told me how heavy it was - I was highly skeptical...and quickly made to believe! If it weren't for the generally silly(typical later-era Priest) lyrics, it would be flat-out brilliant...it may be anyway!
I had always wondered what they would sound(in their 'modern' post Les Binks years) like with a drummer who could play more than two basic beats. And boy did Painkiller deliver on that front:kickass: :kickass:

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
The singer can sing like Halford, although he has several different styles that he is adept in, including some death metal screetches here and there.

I tend not to like vocalists that jump around to different styles, Mikael Akerfeldt being an exception. I prefer that vocalists focus on perfecting one style with different forms of it.

And yes, Painkiller is one of those few classic metal albums that I can listen to from front to back without getting bored. Maybe I'm just too young to really appreciate the classics, but I know a great album when I hear it. :kickass:

Authentic Metalhead said:
I tend not to like vocalists that jump around to different styles, Mikael Akerfeldt being an exception. I prefer that vocalists focus on perfecting one style with different forms of it.

And yes, Painkiller is one of those few classic metal albums that I can listen to from front to back without getting bored. Maybe I'm just too young to really appreciate the classics, but I know a great album when I hear it. :kickass:
That's fine if you want to limit yourself on your singers. Personally, I like cds that have many different singers because they add diversity to the album overall. I also like any vocalist that can sing in different styles on one album, because, again, it adds diversity.

Maybe you are too young to appreciate the classics. But you're not too young to know a great album when you hear it. PAINKILLER KICKS ASS, NOW TRY MORE MAIDEN! :kickass:

Wyvern said:
"Painkiller" is an excelent album. If JP would had split and never done anything afterwards would have been the best swan song in metal history (actually I guess that's why "Jugulator", "Demolition" and even "Angel Of Retribution" can't shine a much or at all in comparison)

Still my best all-time fave album is "Defenders Of The Faith" because of several reasons and thus not even "Painkiller" can top it.

NP: Helloween - 'The King For A 1000 Years'

I'm with you on this one Wyvern. "Defenders" IMO has been the pinnacle of their catalog.

Painkiller is indeed awesome.

However, for my money, Priest's true dominance is found in their 70s material. The following records are the living DEFINITION of metal:

Stained Class
Sin After Sin
Hell Bent / Killing Machine
Sin After Sin
British Steele

I'm firmly on the bandwagon with this one, Painkiller rules through and through. By far the most solid album Priest has ever done. I'd even go as far as saying this is the only truly timeless Priest album. I'm not trying to say that the earlier stuff is bad by any means, it's just that the 70s stuff sounds like the 70s and the 80s stuff sounds like the 80s. Painkiller just kicks ass.

Authentic Metalhead said:
Trust me, Sean Peck's clean vocals are nothing short of perfect on Darker Than Black. He doesn't really use a whole lot of that screeching either, I think it's just in two songs or so.

I know a great album when I hear it. :kickass:
One more reason for you to pick up Darker Than Black, then.:kickass: :D

I like it much better than both, there's some nice stuff harmonys and solo on Defenders of the Faith, but Sad Wings sounds very dated and tough to listen to as it sounds more like PRoto-metal. The solos and songs over all on Painkiller are epic. :)

THE HELL PATROLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

One of my favorite songs EVER!!!!! I listened to that song for hours till i had every riff memorized. Then I picked up my guitar and jammed for days. Im such a loser.

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
THE HELL PATROLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

One of my favorite songs EVER!!!!! I listened to that song for hours till i had every riff memorized. Then I picked up my guitar and jammed for days. Im such a loser.

Yessss! I love that one like nuts, glad to see a fellow patroler :headbang:

You have to check also Avalanch cover (when Avalanch was good), pretty neat euro power version.

NP: Allen/Lande - 'Universe Of Light'

"Defenders..." - the ultimate in Priest? I never thought I would hear that.
Wow, back when it came out, it was something of a disappointment really, coming on the heels of "Screaming..." and "British Steel." I still think it is a really solid album(I first saw them on that tour - great show) but, surely not the best. Go figure...

Painkiller is what turned me on to Judas Priest, had it not been for a friend of mine lending me a greatest hits with Metal Meltdown I would never have become a fan. The stuff on the radio like You Got Another Thing Coming, or Breaking the Law never did it for me, thankfully I realized there was something deeper after hearing Metal Meltdown. Oh, BTW, Defenders is an f-ing strong album, I don't think it has too much of an '80s sound to it, how can a song like "The Sentinel" be given that label? Love Bites, Eat Me Alive, Jawbreaker (and how did Rob manage to keep up the charade, lol), Some Heads Are Gonna Roll, the whole freakin' disc is a masterpiece! It really is a shame JP couldn't follow up with another disc with Rob... What do you guys think of his solo work? I liked some of Fight, but his "Halford" discs are really heavy and sort of pick up where he left off in JP. Crucible and Resurrection are albums to check out, anyone else have these?

Imp! said:
Painkiller is what turned me on to Judas Priest, had it not been for a friend of mine lending me a greatest hits with Metal Meltdown I would never have become a fan. The stuff on the radio like You Got Another Thing Coming, or Breaking the Law never did it for me, thankfully I realized there was something deeper after hearing Metal Meltdown. Oh, BTW, Defenders is an f-ing strong album, I don't think it has too much of an '80s sound to it, how can a song like "The Sentinel" be given that label? Love Bites, Eat Me Alive, Jawbreaker (and how did Rob manage to keep up the charade, lol), Some Heads Are Gonna Roll, the whole freakin' disc is a masterpiece! It really is a shame JP couldn't follow up with another disc with Rob... What do you guys think of his solo work? I liked some of Fight, but his "Halford" discs are really heavy and sort of pick up where he left off in JP. Crucible and Resurrection are albums to check out, anyone else have these?

I have the live one and Resurrection. The vocals are great and Mike is an exellent guitarist. I loved it.

Will do on the Avalanche cover. Has anyone heard of a band called Derdian they are a symphonic power metal band from Milan , the actually found me on myspace. Checked them out and they are really good. Kinda like Rhapsody and Symphony X and a little Sonata Arctica.