Just a simple F'ing question.

You can't compare 2 different vocalists with different styles - it's all about how the vocals fit the music

Haha, uhh wait. That makes no sense. You have to have two somewhat different things to compare otherwise there would be no point in making a comparison, because then they would be the same... If they had the same style no one would be talking about who is better. :puke:

Ok jeez, one more thing. Two more actually. No wait three haha. I could just erase the one and two part and say three but I don't want to lift my hands for the mouse I'll just keep typing.

The Murders cover sounds awkward to me; even within Maiden only Dianno could sing fast enough to do that song.

I don't know man, I think the In Flames version was sung fast enough. It may not be warp speed, but it feels like they are just charging through the song in mind raping heavy metal fashion and that's what I like about.

Second thing, another bonus song that I really like is Strong and Smart on Clayman. If you want to see why Friden is a good vocalist listen to this song.

Third. Technically I mentioned this before but these threads always get off topic. I was wondering what the lyrics are in the Lord Hypnos song during that ridiculously epic part in the middle when Friden is speaking softly.

I was under the impression Anders did do vocals on the Murders in the Rue Morgue cover... I could be wrong, but it sounds like a TJR/Whoracle Anders to me, and I'm sure I've read somewhere it was him..

Hmm, funnily enough, I prefer the Skydancer version with Friden on vocals. I don't think Stanne's voice suits the songs off the Skydancer album, whereas he fits everything that came after it. Stanne certainly couldn't have done anything post-Whoracle the same justice Anders did (IMO).

What do you mean with ''Stanne certainly couldn't have done anything post-Whoracle the same justice Anders did''?

Ofcourse, let's face it; Stanne is an better vocalist then Friden, he always had a more stronger growl and sounded pretty emotional and better...everything friden lacked at.

Stanne's growl is much better than Friden's. However, Friden (in my opinion) is better at every other vocal aspect.

Haha, uhh wait. That makes no sense. You have to have two somewhat different things to compare otherwise there would be no point in making a comparison, because then they would be the same... If they had the same style no one would be talking about who is better. :puke:
um...
the thing about singing is that unless you want to talk about technical singing - vocal range, sustain, vibrato, etc - you can only talk about how the vocals fit the music. For example, Urban Breed's vocals on the Tad Morose album Modus Vivendi. He has a very strong voice with excellent control and range - he's a talented singer - but he doesn't fit very well with the music on that album, imo. On Bathory's Blood Fire Death, say, Nergal just sorta croaks - his voice is painful to listen to - but it fits perfectly. So who's the better vocalist?
Another comparison: I never feel like Mikael Akerfeldt's deep vocals fit into Opeth's music, yet they are awesome - deep, clear, and fucking badass. Meanwhile, Glen Benton's pronunciation sucks - it sounds like deep gurgling, technically inferior to Akerfeldt's - yet on Vital Remains' Dechristianize his voice fits perfectly. So who is the better vocalist? Not even - it's an album by album thing. Which album has the better vocals - Dechristianize or any Opeth album? I'd say Dechristianize. He's not as talented as a vocalist but he FITS THE MUSIC BETTER (imo, you don't have to agree but the point remains)

I was under the impression Anders did do vocals on the Murders in the Rue Morgue cover... I could be wrong, but it sounds like a TJR/Whoracle Anders to me, and I'm sure I've read somewhere it was him..
maybe. it really doesn't sound like henke. I'll check the back when I get home, it lists all that shit.

What do you mean with ''Stanne certainly couldn't have done anything post-Whoracle the same justice Anders did''?

I just don't think Stanne's voice would have suited Colony and beyond. Anders is perfect for that music. Read WeAreInFlames post, it's one I for once agree with entirely.

I just don't think Stanne's voice would have suited Colony and beyond. Anders is perfect for that music. Read WeAreInFlames post, it's one I for once agree with entirely.

Ok, i agree with that, Stanne could might would have sounded good on the subterran ep, perhaps Tjr but not on clayman/colony and those other albums.

Hmm, funnily enough, I prefer the Skydancer version with Friden on vocals. I don't think Stanne's voice suits the songs off the Skydancer album, whereas he fits everything that came after it. Stanne certainly couldn't have done anything post-Whoracle the same justice Anders did (IMO).

Would you think that Lunar strain was good when Anders was the vocalist around that time? hmm, it would be interesting to hear Skydancer re-recorded with stanne as vocalist. I'm sure it won't be bad.

Would you think that Lunar strain was good when Anders was the vocalist around that time? hmm, it would be interesting to hear Skydancer re-recorded with stanne as vocalist. I'm sure it won't be bad.

Judging from Anders vocals around that general period I don't think Lunar Strain would have been better with him on vocals. Again, Stanne fits that music quite well. A Colony-style Anders may have made the album better, though, as the rerecorded versions of Behind Space and Clad in Shadows are killer.

I really love skydancer, I think the album is a gem and am happy with it just the way it is. I think Anders voice suits the melancholy/desperate atmosphere, and with the lyrics being so brutally and beautifully literate, the lack of emotion in his vocals is not an issue.

They did, but there is also a definate difference... for example the original "Alone" from Skydancer with Anders on, and "Alone '94" with Stanne on vocals, are clearly sung by different vocalists with slightly different styles. Anders' was more raspy and frail, whereas Stanne had power behind his voice.

Judging from Anders vocals around that general period I don't think Lunar Strain would have been better with him on vocals. Again, Stanne fits that music quite well. A Colony-style Anders may have made the album better, though, as the rerecorded versions of Behind Space and Clad in Shadows are killer.

I really love skydancer, I think the album is a gem and am happy with it just the way it is. I think Anders voice suits the melancholy/desperate atmosphere, and with the lyrics being so brutally and beautifully literate, the lack of emotion in his vocals is not an issue.

hmm... Skydancer is alright, it's good for what it is; though i think it would sound better with stanne (imo).

In flames should have recorded Lunar strain in 1997 and 1999 :p would love to hear both versions.

If you nerds would like to know: "In 1999, [Lunar Strain] was re-released in Japan, instead with Anders Fridén on vocals, including all the tracks of the Subterranean album, under the title Lunar Strain & Subterranean." - Wikipedia.

Oh gosh everyone says Wikipedia is supposed to be so unreliable but this sounds pretty legitimate, and you would have to be retarded to make this up.

The only two songs ever rerecorded from LS were Behind Space and Clad in Shadows. Confirmed.