Just been given the biggest gig of my life, too!

Once again - pay a MUSIC/ENTERTAINMENT lawyer, once you have the contract. Don't even consider using a non-specific lawyer. We are currently sueing a multi-media group and they are getting raped in court because they asked their friend (lawyer) to defend them. This guy doesn't know the basics about copyright law and currently our opponents bills are 10 times of what the original sum in dispute was. Even the court suggested out-of-court settlement to avoid ruining them. And all because their lawyer was too "inexperienced" with the subject matter ...

But aside from that: music industry contracts are a world of their own and while everyone told me that my former record label was fair and generally has a good reputation, my lawyer (very music industry experienced, with clients from Nana to Tokio Hotel) sent the original contract back with the words "You can't be serious!" ... and of course they were not serious. They were just trying to get the maximum amount possible.

Think of it this way: nobody at a record label like NB is doing this for the music. Nobody. If they don't sign you, they'll sign someone else. They do this for the money (and they do make good money, despite the constant whining) - and usually the bands never see any of that money.

Right now you are thinking "Wow, Nuclear Blast, wow wow!!" but in the end when you come home from 2 months of touring with less money than before, rent to pay and other obligations, you'll think "WTF did I give up those extra 50% on the merch??". And especially when the label drops you because you didn't sell as much, you'll think "Great, 2 years of shitty gigs and hard work and all I got was debt?".

I am purposely painting a grim picture because that's how it ends 95% of the time. Especially with ultra-niche bands like yours.

The lawyer won't be able to prevent any of that. But he might at least work the contract in a way that in the end you can a) leave the contract b) remain with copyrights and rights associated to the band etc. and c) actually get a decent percentage of sales.

P.S.: To think that the guy from Sony is on your side is naive at best. He might actually get percentages for discovering new bands that get signed (unusual in Germany, but who knows ...) and he has absolutely no incentive to tell you about the bullshit that's going on behind the scenes. Especially not if he is working with other bands that are signed with Nuclear Blast.

P.P.S.: If you are poor: some music industry lawyers work out their payment based on a percentage of the advance. That way you don't have to front any cash.

I fucking hate Nuclear Blast. They ripped off so many bands I loved in the past. Maybe their attitute changed, dunno.
Anyways congrats and good luck! I'm looking forward to see you on tour once you're around NRW sometime :kickass:

And get me on the guestlist :lol:

so what amount of money are we talking about? few thousand euro? few hundreds? I have absolutely no idea. What if I will pay money into a lawyer and in the end I have no contract and have to pay off the lawyer? I guess having a bad contract is worse then having to pay for a lawyer?

and btw: that guy from sony atv never gave me any further informations regarding bands and/or other labels.

My lawyer charges 200 Euros per hour. His former company (Zimmermann & Decker) charges 300 Euros/h. I think it all depends on what comes out later. Usually you take the contract that you are offered and then the lawyer will tell you what costs to expect.

In the end it comes down to whether you want to do this as a nice little hobby on your weekend and are happy that someone is paying the bills. Then you can just sign anything and not worry. But don't expect to end up with anything either. If you want to do this professionally and maybe even live off of it, then you'll have to be very careful with every little thing that is written in the contract.

Example: my first contract stated in the 3rd paragraph that it was for 1 album with 2 options later. That means if the label wants to release more than 1, they need to say so and then they can release the 2nd and 3rd records. In the end of the contract (maybe paragraph 18 or sth) it was stated that the contract was termed for 10 years. The first lawyer who looked at that (non-music lawyer) missed that. My current lawyer saw it. It effectively meant that the label could have more and more options for 10 years. Of course all of that was phrased in the most hideous german entertainment law language that you just can't understand if you don't deal with it. Also the contract had been written with my personal name on it and if my lawyer hadn't inserted project exclusivity (=label exclusively owns rights to the project Faderhead) as opposed to personal exclusivity (=label owns your ass), then I wouldnt have been able to start other projects without the consent of the label. This issue even came up once and the label owner said "Ah, well, we will have to discuss the side-projects!" and I could just tell him to check that he only has project exclusive rights. He was really surprised and even said that I am only the 2nd artist on his label who has that.

I could go on for hours about these things ...

Dude, you know I love you. I wish you the best of luck. If you ever tour AMERICA, I will take all of you guys out to party. I swear.

You're the king, d00d!

About lawyers.. We are lucky here in Sweden. If we join the Musicians Union (can be combined with other unions) we pay 30USD per month and per band member - that gives us free lawyers for anything we want for the band! Thats really cool!

fuck i'd like to be from sweden now. Actually I live in a place which was dansk a long time ago so I'm a bit of a scandinavian ;)

About lawyers.. We are lucky here in Sweden. If we join the Musicians Union (can be combined with other unions) we pay 30USD per month and per band member - that gives us free lawyers for anything we want for the band! Thats really cool!

what the hell, I've never heard of that! Where do you apply?

what the hell, I've never heard of that! Where do you apply?

REALLY.. oh my god..
http://www.musikerforbundet.se/

If you're on tour and the bus dies on you they'll help you with that too.
You can get really good insurance for your instruments - you can forget it on the airport and almost get a new one..

Ther are different levels of membership. One for you who earn your living from playing music and one for us who don't...

I can't believe you don't know about this.. well now you do.
Make sure you say hello from Souldrainer in Östersund then :)

Good luck and go sign yourself up!

btw. Actually it's one of the Herrey's brothers who is one of the lawers! He's cool!

I can't believe you don't know about this.. well now you do.
Make sure you say hello from Souldrainer in Östersund then :)

Dude, we even had a guy come to our school to speak about what you should think of when signing up to a label, and his band hired private lawyers and shit.
He basically said that its almost impossible to get that help that musikerförbundet apperantly offers. o,0

Dude, we even had a guy come to our school to speak about what you should think of when signing up to a label, and his band hired private lawyers and shit.
He basically said that its almost impossible to get that help that musikerförbundet apperantly offers. o,0

Are you from Sweden too?

Man.. You just forward a contract from a record company and a few days later you'll get it full of comments and phone support. He will/can have direct contact with the labels lawyers if you want too aswell.. it's totaly amazing and it's all included in the membership. You have to be member for atleast a year I think - but that just makes sense so you don't get all that help and be a member for a month.