Just got myself an SSL!

OMGGGGGGGG. Congrats, Plec!!! You make me feel like a HACK considering I'm only 4 years younger than you!

One day soon we will be better acquainted when bands we work with are willing to shell out for external mastering... YES.

Thx again mate!

My gear lust could not be kept in check so we had a couple NS-10's and cheap sound card wired up just to get some signal into the board for a little test drive on the analog side of things.

The dynamics on this thing is silly!

Need to A/B the bus compressor to my Smart C2 but the onboard Quad Compressor just sounded sooooo good on anything you put through it. Easily smashed a mix with 8db of bus compression without it sounding anywhere near freaky. The two channel dynamic strips also pure heaven! You know what I mean when I say.. digital vs. analog compression snap! Never been a fan of neither the Waves or UAD SSL channel strip dynamics, but this was really beautiful.

It's not uncommon for people getting the AWS to also get an X-Rack pumped with dynamic strips. Will probably go that route too in the future.

The onboard quad comp is a thing to behold isn't it? We have an aws 900+se with an x-rack filled with dynamic strips, you know you're GONNA have to go that route don't you? ;) haha, the dynamic strips are indeed AMAZING!

The only thing I get annoyed with, is that the faders many times get stuck! Like, literally stuck, you can't move them, you can feel it's a magnetic thing though, but you give them a good fiddle and they get back into shape, but when it happens it's VERY annoying. We had an SSL technician having a look at it and GUESS WHAT HE SAID?! That it's a ground problem and that whoever would be mixing at the board should use like a strap thing attached to his leg and the board to keep the electric current on ground and flowing through our body and the board... LOL! HOPEFULLY that has been fixed and you won't run into that problem!

I don't know. I would never get such an expensive console.

See - the funny thing about the term "expensive" is that like most things in life it's a relative term. Most people say the same thing about their individual purchases such as my wife thinking it's crazy I want to spend $90,000 on a car, saying to me "I'd never spend that much money on a car!" or "does a $90,000 dollar car change the way you get to work - it's still point A to B . But as I always point out to her, it's a cost that is relative to your income, which trust me is out of my reach at this time, but a $40,000 car might not be. Why? Because it's all relative to how much you can afford to spend.

Add to that return on investment in the case of a business purchase which in this case Plec's SSL console is, it's simply reinvesting in his business with something he feels will either:

A - improve his end product
B - attract further customer base
C - please his current customer base
D - all of the above and then some

But in the end, it's still relative to what the business or person can afford. One man's pittance of a penny is another man's treasure. We all say the same thing about many purchases, but given the resources, as they get higher, the level at which we say "I'd never buy something that expensive" changes relative to what we consider expensive.

Back to the original topic - Sweet desk there Plec!!!

I have supreme envy, nice board man! Oh god I love the smell of new stuff (just got a new office chair today although nowhere near $100K lol)

Thanks!

It's cool and will improve my workflow quite a bit plus it will be 100 times more fun working on this beast compared to mousing around. But as Brett said before, no piece of gear will make you more successful, and it's just a tool. There is no holy grail when it comes to audio.

Do you have it unboxed infront of you so you can stare at it before you go to sleep?

Cause that's what my boss says he did when he finally bought the Midas Heritage 3000 hehe.

Cheers bro and may it buy you another 948. That's a major score, and definitely the desk to own IMO.

damn impressive!

i just bought an xrack full of comps and eqs, and the ssl stuff brought my mixes from 80 to 100%,
but with this baby, damnnnn!! im really glad people can afford desks like that!
and you certainly deserve it!

Wow, thx again for all your encouragements. It will be needed once the installments start taking place on this monster. :)
@dcb - Did you get the 4k modules or the "modern" ones??

Wow, thx again for all your encouragements. It will be needed once the installments start taking place on this monster. :)
@dcb - Did you get the 4k modules or the "modern" ones??

i got both, 3 channels of 4k and 4 channels of the "modern" ones.
really cool to have different flavours, though i wouldnt say that they sound dramatically different. but then again im not that trained on ssl eqs yet, i guess i will get to know them better trying them out on different stuff.

id love to have as many available as you have now! ;-)

on your console is that 4k modules or 9k ?

Yes, A/B everything! A/B the world, we want everything. Nebula vs AWS vs Waves vs Rackstrip vs Duende :p

Congrats to both you guys. They sound like great purchases. As you know I'm starting to dig the 9k sound over the 4k for the day to day metal stuff we do, so I'm hoping you grow to like it as well. I imagine with the desk you'll stop using Nebula so much, Plec?