Just got myself an SSL!

Yes, A/B everything! A/B the world, we want everything. Nebula vs AWS vs Waves vs Rackstrip vs Duende :p

Congrats to both you guys. They sound like great purchases. As you know I'm starting to dig the 9k sound over the 4k for the day to day metal stuff we do, so I'm hoping you grow to like it as well. I imagine with the desk you'll stop using Nebula so much, Plec?

thanks ermz! at the moment i actually dont care if anything sounds "better",
im really glad i found a tool that does what i want.
having knobs to turn and listen to how they change your soundn dramatically
is what i never experiencced with plugins in such a musical manner.
i know this might be sounding esotherical, but i think your mixes get more intuitive and "less visual" with great outbard. the total recall on the ssl is what i was missing with other outboard. now this is huge!
i pmed plec, will compare 9 k vs 4k soon!

having knobs to turn and listen to how they change your soundn dramatically
is what i never experiencced with plugins in such a musical manner.
i know this might be sounding esotherical, but i think your mixes get more intuitive and "less visual" with great outbard.

I agree. Mixing with a console/outboard gear really put me into the song and the moment. Much better vibe and the mixes came together faster than ITB. I used to mix on a Neve 8034 but now I am ITB with some outboard. I really miss the big desk.
Congrats on the SSL's.

Gotta respect that dedication, eh? To drop that kind of money on something that doesn't necessarily guarantee a better end product, but rather just facilitates the sort of workflow one might desire. A lot to be said for that sort of commitment to the craft. Much respect!

Serious, serious respect for Plec right now. This thread inspired me to own an SSL console by the time I'm 30, which gives me 8 years. If Plec can do it, so can I!

Probably going to haul that big ol' thing into Studio 1 next week and use it as a sidecar on some drum sessions. Will be fun!

Jordan Valeriote at Sundown Studios did the Borealis mix I believe. :)