Just saw Attack Attack live

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Quick and short review of the gig.

Anyway, Attack Attack was the headliner, they got a massive back line (four Orange 4x12 full stacks double miced with 57 and e906 and two 8x10 Ampeg fridges single miced with b52) in a small club called Cabooze in Minneapolis. They had a new (temp?) guitarist and I gotta say that I just went to see and experience the band. Never really listened to their music and I'm not a fan. I know "stick stickley" and heard both albums a few times, but they were kinda "meh" to me.

But being an audio engineer I have the disease that comes with the profession; Almost all gigs sound fucking terrible or mediocre mix wise. I could say that it was one of the worst gigs I've ever seen, considering the above par technical equipment of the venue. They were unnecessarily excessively helluva loud, only thing I could hear clearly was the subdrops, melodic vocals and the click from the drums. The bass sound was only just low end rumble and chest resonance, the lead vocal mic fed back constantly and there was no definition on the guitars even when they were playing by themselves. But "surprisingly" the backing tracks sounded good.

There was 4 bands (Attack Attack, Pierce The Veil, Of Mice And Men, and In Fear And Faith) in there and if the vocalists didn't change, I definitely couldn't have told when the band changed. They all had the same stage maneuvers, sounded the same except they got gradually louder towards the end and the music was just something I wouldn't necessarily... Or actually never mind. I'll just keep it to myself.

Was it worth the 20 bucks and would I see them again? Probably not, but it was worth experiencing at least once. They were really entertaining band to watch, they made the crowd move, jump, mosh pit, crow surf and do some really weird shit like make huge amount of girls have a cat fight while being on someones shoulders :err:

I've seen them twice, albeit on Warped Tour, and they were really never that bad. Sound is going to vary from venue to venue but the mix was fine when I saw them.

I'd say all bands of a given genre will sound similar if the mix is terrible and you're not familiar with the music - I've seen OMAM and PTV, as well, and know they're completely different bands.

I will say, they had pretty funny stage banter, and got the crowd to do some funny shit. Seeing 500+ people get on each other's backs and have an out-of-water chicken fight was just fucking awesome.

pierce the veil is nothing like attack attack, even my mum can see that one. the others, id agree.

and i agree with the rest. small gigs with lots of volume is never going to be that good.. unless glenn is mixing :p

Loud? YOU AINT SEEEEN SHEEEEEAAAAAT :D

sunnamps.jpg

the guitarist is a temp but because the other guitarist left to follow god because the band was ruining his relationship with god LMFAO XD

i thought this was a joke.. but its not ha

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1UKI1qskGw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Yeah, PTV aren't much like AA.
However, I honestly can't tell much difference between most post 00s post hardcore bands anymore.
The genre used to be all about creativity and every band sounded so different, but it's really fell victim to homogenization, so I can kinda understand why someone would go see that lineup and think the bands were basically the same.

And goddamn, that backline is just retarded.
AA tune a lot lower nowadays don't they? Think it it was C# standard for their first album (going by the song Stick Stickly, haven't heard any others) and I think that new album was in A or something, could have contributed to the mud maybe, dunno.

I sort of get what he's saying and I respect it, strangely enough.

Sometimes you just get a feeling that what you're doing with your life at the moment isn't what you NEED to be doing, so he left to refocus his energy on what he felt he would benefit him more. Healthy body healthy mind, all that.
Yeah, the fact he uses the words "soul searching," "God" and other such things is a bit odd, when really soul searching and god are just intuitive guidance that people have given names and personification to, but I can relate to this actually. There was a lot of time this year where I had to put music to one side to focus on other things.

Fundamentally, there's nothing wrong with what he's doing. Even though he was a member of one of, what I personally percieve to be musical poison, I wish him all the best. *shrug*

Yeah, PTV aren't much like AA.
However, I honestly can't tell much difference between most post 00s post hardcore bands anymore.
The genre used to be all about creativity and every band sounded so different, but it's really fell victim to homogenization, so I can kinda understand why someone would go see that lineup and think the bands were basically the same.

And goddamn, that backline is just retarded.
AA tune a lot lower nowadays don't they? Think it it was C# standard for their first album (going by the song Stick Stickly, haven't heard any others) and I think that new album was in A or something, could have contributed to the mud maybe, dunno.

the genre is dying in my opinion. but pierce the veil are sometimes not even in the genre in my eyes..
they incorporate their mexican roots in their songs a bit.

AAs first album was Drop C# and new one is a mix of drop B, drop G and maybe more

Even more epically gay version you mean?

Yeah!

I never liked Korn except 1-2 songs that i think are ''ok''.
I always hated their attitude.

But i liked Heads solo album.

Although i think the ''i quit the band, i find GOD and my inner self, and then i start playing again'' is mainly a self advertising trick to draw attention.

And that is a higher state of gayness in my book.