just saw opeth live :)

I was at the Adelaide gig and I thought the show was fantastic. Virgin Black were excellent as an opening band, the lead singer absolutely blew me away with his superb voice. Fuck Chalice for a joke. I got almost murdered in the pit numerous times, but the closest I got to death was during Master's Apprentices. Fuck that went off. To Bid You Farewell was a very welcome surprise. There was little crowd action during it, but this is no way to gauge how well it worked live. It settled the mood and the mosh pit, but not in a bad way - it was being appreciated more than anything. Besides Demon, it ranks as my song of the night. :D

I was actually quite disappointed at virgin black. They were really generic sounding and I was somewhat bored by them, as were most of the people around me. I don't think they deserved and hour set. The lead singer, in my opinion, had the stereotypical depressed, "world is against me" style of singing and playing that seemed to bring the music to a bottleneck, although, he could really really scream (last song ;) ) I was pretty annoyed at the drummer. he only seemed to have one style and that severely limited their talents which didn't seem to shine. I don't think it 'warmed up' for opeth, but made them look like the gods they are.
As for chalice, they had a lot more variance in their styles and, even if you didn't like their style, i think it was more appropriate.

Aip said:
I was actually quite disappointed at virgin black. They were really generic sounding and I was somewhat bored by them, as were most of the people around me. I don't think they deserved and hour set. The lead singer, in my opinion, had the stereotypical depressed, "world is against me" style of singing and playing that seemed to bring the music to a bottleneck, although, he could really really scream (last song ;) ) I was pretty annoyed at the drummer. he only seemed to have one style and that severely limited their talents which didn't seem to shine. I don't think it 'warmed up' for opeth, but made them look like the gods they are.
As for chalice, they had a lot more variance in their styles and, even if you didn't like their style, i think it was more appropriate.
Haha, I don't think you're really in a place to talk about Rowan London's vocals. If you think they're typical, you must not have been listning at all. London was trained by a man that had the same teacher as Pavarotti, this man loved his voice and praised their music, although he was/is a strictly classical fan. He has a good voice by any standards. You are right, the drummer doesn't do much but keep the rythm, but really VB is all about Escarbe and London. Those two have more talent than all four of Opeth's members, although Opeth is a cool band with a very cool sound, I don't think there's any denying that VB has more talent. I'll probably get ripped for this, but at least think about it/listen to VB before you do.

JColtrane said:
Haha, I don't think you're really in a place to talk about Rowan London's vocals. If you think they're typical, you must not have been listning at all. London was trained by a man that had the same teacher as Pavarotti, this man loved his voice and praised their music, although he was/is a strictly classical fan. He has a good voice by any standards. You are right, the drummer doesn't do much but keep the rythm, but really VB is all about Escarbe and London. Those two have more talent than all four of Opeth's members, although Opeth is a cool band with a very cool sound, I don't think there's any denying that VB has more talent. I'll probably get ripped for this, but at least think about it/listen to VB before you do.

I think that comment is probs way too harsh, and opinionated. I take it you like VB as much as I like Opeth, I don't deny my love for it, however, I didn't have the prior mindset of disliking vb, nor did they have any expectations to live up to. More and more listening to them, I jut got bored. I will however give them a proper listening to but I certainly don't agree about the talent comment. As for songwriting talent, I think vb lack a lot. I like, and need, music to absolutely grab me. I need to be surprised by something not as predictable, and that doesn't mean cutting the song every 2nd minute to a softer part. I feel that every time they built up a pace, a rhythm, it was ruined because it switched (with little muscial transition) to a softer, half-beat riff that I was half expecting.
I'm not impressed by what training or what other people might think of the artist, but of how they perform for me.
I'm not baggin VB, despite my initial remarks, I like to support my local bands. It was and is just my opnion and I don't expect ppl to agree. Its interesting to see what ppl think though.
Were you at the adelaide show, or are you a fan of VB? I'm assuming you were there, if so, whereabouts? I ask to see what dynamics you would have experienced.

No, I live in Indianapolis, USA so as much as I wish I could've seen them I wasn't there. I would expect that their show would be like their music, filled with deep passion and lot's of classical musicality showcased. As far as their CD's their writing is very classicaly influenced and the song structure is very good. Much of their music is, however, very soft, inter mixed with parts of large amounts of intensity. The music is closely related to the lyrics so without a complete understanding of the lyrics the effect is certainly not the same. Some parts of the music that are very good would be cut out of the show however, the cello, the choirs and the flute. So maybe their show is not as good as their CD's I dunno.