Kalmah became 200% better! Screeching vs. Growling

Screeching vs. Growling

• Screeching

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Growling

Votes: 31 57.4%

• Total voters
i definitely prefer the older vocals. The new vocals get sort of boring and repetitive after awhile. Still think that the new vocals are amazing, but maybe a mix of both would have been better, have the older vocals mostly and throw the deeper vocals in like they did in the older albums but maybe a little more.

FromHereToDeath said:
Other words that could be used for Anders Friden's nowadays voice...

Squealing
Whining
Shite... :err:

his older voice was a million time better, back in the "jester race", "whoracle", and somewhat "colony" days.

The older vocals were much, much better, but I think it would be even better if they combined them. Have some songs with only screeching, have some songs with only growling, and have some songs with both. This would be truely wonderful. :worship:

I love the vocals on the new album, thats the only thing i didn't like about their older stuff was the vocals. This album fixed that.

I really thought I liked the older vocals better, but now that I've really had time to absorb the Black Waltz (and going back and listening to the old vocal style to contrast) I feel that the growls just add more raw power. Ultimately, I would like to see like a 50/50 mix of the 2 (as I'm sure most everyone would...hint hint kalmah), but as for now I prefer the deep growls.

I prefer Kalmah's older screaming vocals, but I don't really "mind" the growling vocals, just need to get used to it.

The reason Kalmah's new growling vocals don't fit completely with the music is because the vocals are too brutal... Think about it, Kalmah's music is around making perfectly-harmonized and "beautiful" melodies and not making heavy brutal guitar-tuned-down music.

Listen to any Kalmah song (that is not on The Black Waltz) and compare it to: say, a Cannibal Corpse song. You can immediately see the difference in how these different artists make a fitting-contrast between the music (bass, snare drum pitch...) and the vocals (growling or screaming).
Any comments? Agreements?

Depends on the song for me. I dont think that "Defeat" would be nearly as good as it is with the older vocals, but I think that "The Groan of the Wind" would've been better (but only by a little bit; that song is awesome as it is) with the older vocals, or maybe a combination of both with more of the older than the newer.

I am with the people on the older vocals. They were Kalmahs...I mean sure there might be bands that sound like them (vocal wise, show me one). Hence the reason why my favorite song off of the new album is Time Takes Us All. Besides the music but the vocals own. On parts of the new disc they sound like Insomnium...not saying thats bad but the older style vocals made it that much easier to say "hey...thats Kalmah". Now once in awile I have to fight about if its Kalmah or Insomnium or EToS.

well,im gonna lay it down. Basicially the change in lyrical stlye completely changed the sound. And that old sound is the one I love so I just like the older stuff a lot better. It's not that It is bad,just I would much rather listen to older songs.