Kalmah revolution

Well, of course we can all give anykinds of meanings for the songs, but Pekka has himself talked about this song in couple of interviews and told about the burbot's revenge for him. He loves to fish, anytime, anywhere.

Hey guys, I don't think I've ever posted on this forum...I actually haven't posted on UM at all in about two years. I used to post on the Opeth forum a lot before it went gay. Anyway, all those rambling aside, I was kind of interested in the topic of whether or not any of the guys in Kalmah have any Christian beliefs; not that it would in any way change my view of how awesome the band is.

The Wings of Blackening lyrics seem to point to obvious Christian themes...the only real question is if it is sincere or if it's written from a viewpoint of satire and mockery as so many metal bands tend to do these days

Here's another interesting thing I found in an interview online

MetalCrypt.com - "If they were both alive and willing to kick some ass who would win in a WWF wrestling match between Ghandi and Mother Theresa?"

Antti Kokko (lead guitarist) - "The Holy Spirit"

this just seemed like a very unusual answer from somebody in a finnish metal band. Even if the answer was said in a moment of humor...it's interesting that it was even on his mind

yea so I'm pretty much just rambling on here...It'd be nice to get a statement from one of the guys in the band just to satisfy my curiousity

even as a strong atheist and social rationalist, i dont think that i would be bothered even if Kalmah do turn out to be Christian after everything the music has done for my life, but i do have this to say. I do not think that any group of people who think enough about things as to write lyrics this controversial and make music that different and atmospheric could ever tie themselves down to blind faith, I think that kalmah are either speaking sarcastically or, when talking about "the holy spirit" as such, they do not mean a deity or god but instead they simply believe in free though and the good in both ghandi and mother teresa's hearts. And remember, there are still a fair amount of pagans living in scandanavia, especially in the black/death metal culture. Also, Kill the idealist is definately talking about how we as a society do always seem to kill the idealist (christ himself was killed for challenging the norm). and as for wings of the blackening one line says it all

Master lead me, please, in thru your door
Pierce this willing ear just one more time
Please let me stay, I'LL WORK LIKE A SLAVE
I WILL SUFFER, OBEY

again, Kalmah are mocking religion by writing like they are christians and trying to point out the obvious corruption and ignorance in a christian mind.

even as a strong atheist and social rationalist, i dont think that i would be bothered even if Kalmah do turn out to be Christian after everything the music has done for my life, but i do have this to say. I do not think that any group of people who think enough about things as to write lyrics this controversial and make music that different and atmospheric could ever tie themselves down to blind faith, I think that kalmah are either speaking sarcastically or, when talking about "the holy spirit" as such, they do not mean a deity or god but instead they simply believe in free though and the good in both ghandi and mother teresa's hearts. And remember, there are still a fair amount of pagans living in scandanavia, especially in the black/death metal culture. Also, Kill the idealist is definately talking about how we as a society do always seem to kill the idealist (christ himself was killed for challenging the norm). and as for wings of the blackening one line says it all

I WILL SUFFER, OBEY

again, Kalmah are mocking religion by writing like they are christians and trying to point out the obvious corruption and ignorance in a christian mind.

ignorance is what you, dear sir, showed in some parts of your post.
i am a Christian and if one wishes let them call me Gods Slave - i dont mind. i want to believe that these lyrics dont mock Christianity and i admire Pekkas courage to include some Christian principles in them. do you really think there is this black and white only? putting 'blind faith' on one scale and 'paganism' on the other? are YOU blind? there is only one white and only one black but hundreds of shades of grey.

i dont want to convert anyone here and i dont mock anyones beliefs. i would be grateful for the same tolerance in return.

the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit not some idea. if he had any other idea in mind he would probably call it a different name.

you are sick people! i always belived that metal community was very tolerant (excluding black metal fags and some death metal total maniacs) and i am like that. i have black metals and pagans as friends and i dont bother. i enjoy the variety the metal world gives to us.

dont be faggots!

Perhaps by "ignorance" and "corruption" you mean the stereotypical Catholic. What makes you think that atheists are impervious to ignorance? Christianity is in ideology just like atheism. I will agree with you though, the majority of "Christians" today pretty much match what you have said, but to attack the religion as a whole is just stupid.

Both of you make a fair point and it seems my post has been slightly misinterpreted so i shalll try and draw a straight line through it. First of all, when i mentioned paganism, what i meant was that Pekka might not be talking about a christian god, it could be traditional norse faith that he is invoking.Second, I do not condemn right hand path religion as long as one has rationally decided that it is the best option for them and would benefit their lives more than any other faith, it is only when the faithful only follows the religion because of their parents beliefs of because it is not socially acceptable not to follow that religion, this is the only time that it is blind. Third, I am not just a straight atheist, im an einsteinian atheist, which, in a nutshell is a right hand religion without a god and with the good principles of equality and various other human rights (which a lot of powerfull religious leaders contradict). But i have to say that, considering the nature of this thread (whether or not Kalmah are religious) i find it a little presumptous to say that pekka is definately making christian conotations. But I Sincerely Apologise for offending you so much mrs black orchid

im an einsteinian atheist
This sounds funny to me... Einstein was christian...strong faithed... dunno if it was orthodox or catolic... it doesn't matter...

Anyway why does matter what faith have Kalmah band members? The are propaging revolution that is communistic/anarhistic and in that system there is no matter in what you believe... evryone are equal with rights!

I'd choose a fanatical christian over a fanatical atheist any day :p
The raging christians are at least entertaining...

"I Don't Try To Imagine A Personal God; It Suffices To Stand In Awe At The Structure Of The World, Insofar As It Allows Our Inadequate Senses To Appreciate It" Albert Einstein, A Deeply Religious Non-Believer.

"How Is It That Hardly Any Major Religion Has Looked At Science And Concluded, 'This Is Better Than We Thought! The Universe Is Much Bigger Than Our Prophets Said, Grander, More Subtle, More Elegant'? Instead They Say, 'No, no, no! My God Is A Little God, And I Want Him To Stay That Way.' A Religion, Old Or New, That Stressed The Magnificence Of The Universe As Revealed By Modern Science Might Be Able To Draw Forth Reserves Of Reverence And Awe Hardly Trapped By The Conventional Faiths." Carl Sagan, The Pale Blue Dot.

Then Again Steven Weinberg Argues That

"Some people have views of God that are so broad and flexible that it is inevitable that they will find God wherever they look for him. One hears it said that 'God is the Ultimate' or 'God is our better Nature' or 'God is the Universe.' Of Course, like any other word, the word 'God' can be given any meaningwe like. If you want to say that 'God is Energy,' then you can find God in a lump of coal."

"I Don't Try To Imagine A Personal God; It Suffices To Stand In Awe At The Structure Of The World, Insofar As It Allows Our Inadequate Senses To Appreciate It"
Indeed!

"How Is It That Hardly Any Major Religion Has Looked At Science And Concluded, 'This Is Better Than We Thought! The Universe Is Much Bigger Than Our Prophets Said, Grander, More Subtle, More Elegant'? Instead They Say, 'No, no, no! My God Is A Little God, And I Want Him To Stay That Way.' A Religion, Old Or New, That Stressed The Magnificence Of The Universe As Revealed By Modern Science Might Be Able To Draw Forth Reserves Of Reverence And Awe Hardly Trapped By The Conventional Faiths." Carl Sagan, The Pale Blue Dot.
Not so sure about this one.
Many churches used/use the discoveries of science as further proof of the world as a work of God, afaik.

Then Again Steven Weinberg Argues That

"Some people have views of God that are so broad and flexible that it is inevitable that they will find God wherever they look for him. One hears it said that 'God is the Ultimate' or 'God is our better Nature' or 'God is the Universe.' Of Course, like any other word, the word 'God' can be given any meaningwe like. If you want to say that 'God is Energy,' then you can find God in a lump of coal."
Yup. Makes the notion of God rather redundant. Occam's razor strikes again.

Im Glad You See My Point But Im Afraid We Have Strayed Largely From The Main Topic, There are hundreds of forums on the w.w.w for this kind of stuff but aye.....so Kalmah Lyrics an Revolution an shit....do drugz its fun!!!!!!.....aye then?

But While were on the subject I Have to say that most churches and religions do not use the findings of science to forward the belief of god but instead search for gaps in scientific knowledge and instantly place them in gods hands proposing said gap is an example of irreducible complexity or whatnot when the rational thing to do is to say "said gap is a gap because our current technology cannot open our eyes to the truth about said gap, this does not mean that in the future, we shall have more advanced technology that shall allow us to take said gap out of the hands of god (the darkness of ignorance) and back into the logical, rational and reasonable. Hence Religious People worship ignorance and scientists (Philosophers, theologians etc.) consider it necessary yet not permanently non-revealable and it is also their purpose TO reveal these gaps. e.g a religious man goes to see a great magic trick, say, the dissapearing man or whatnot the man seems to dissapear right in front of his eyes and reappears somewhere in the crowd, the religious man would come to the conclusion that it was the doing of god or supernatural forces. A sophisticated non religious man (by sophisticated i mean a man who is clever enough to think about things deeply rather that an average person who doesnt care really) sits a few rows up and after watching the trick he comes to the conclusion that the illusionist has created it on a different level of imagination or intelligence than his own and decides that "this is a great trick and i have appreciated it because i cannot know its secret, i cannot know its secret because it was created by the illusionist who himself is thinking and creating in a different mindset from my own and has had the skill and thought to engineer such a trick, not beacause it is 'magical'"

I WILL SUFFER, OBEY

see i take this from a completely different angle.. i see them supporting it.
like when it says

"Hey Mr.Charles where are you now?
Knocking at the heaven's door
But there's no-one around?
Standing behind your theory
That a man comes from an ape?
Or can't you see all that God has created?."

obviously its darwin and i take the last couple of lines to mean do you really believe that man comes from ape or are you just too fucking dumb that you dont see all that God has created.

Then as we go down we encounter Mr. Adolf Hitler
i take it as who are we to judge who is important for the world.
what it is then saying is how can a man who is doing so much evil belive that he is doing it for God? (Trying to find the path to the light in vain?)
and yet again! can you not see what god has created!
and the same for the last part.

and in response to those examples of SIN it goes to begging God to not let him go the same way as these evil doers..

Please let me stay, I'll work like a slave
I will suffer, obey

its all plain as day

i take the whole song as mocking those who cannot "see" what has been created as it is right in front of them.

Yes, lyrics for "Wings Of Blackening" are clearly christian.
But what about "Towards The Sky"?

Warnings and threats fall on deaf ears
Wilderness screams, it cries for help
And from his throne God is watching
The world with empty eyes
And the cancer is wasting her lungs
I can feel that but I still stay hopeless
And the smoke in the sky won't dispel
And God is too busy to give a damn

Yes, lyrics for "Wings Of Blackening" are clearly christian.
But what about "Towards The Sky"?

Warnings and threats fall on deaf ears
Wilderness screams, it cries for help
And from his throne God is watching
The world with empty eyes
And the cancer is wasting her lungs
I can feel that but I still stay hopeless
And the smoke in the sky won't dispel
And God is too busy to give a damn

non-fanatic believers have their ups and downs as every human being.
for me these lines show kind of impatience for God for He sometimes seems like He's "not there" when one needs His hand. and more frustrating is the fact that He promised to always be there for those who call Him in prayer. He might just respond in a way we dont like and sometimes causes things we dont like to happen - and this sounds like that piece of cake given to a mass on an evangelistic crusade.. but well. my poor Polish mind doesnt allow me to express what i mean as nice as id like to :rolleyes:
I also had moments like that and it always seems like a good topic for metal lyrics :p