Kamelot/Edguy Tourdates Announced!

That's my biggest beef with the metal shows I've seen outside of PP. Local opening band will get 90 minutes, band 2, a band we actually paid to see will get 30 minutes, and then the headliner goes on an hour later and plays only 75 minutes because they got a late start.

Yeah, crappy openers salt the wound even more when the direct support act is really good too. Let's hope neither Kamelot or Edguy get screwed with a shortened set due to some garbage openers.

Yeah, crappy openers salt the wound even more when the direct support act is really good too. Let's hope neither Kamelot or Edguy get screwed with a shortened set due to some garbage openers.

I think there should only be 1 local max! Does it really help to have 2 local acts when we have to wait for the headliner so late at night. I think Division should be the only act for the Jaxx show, or just Kamelot and Edguy.

That's my biggest beef with the metal shows I've seen outside of PP. Local opening band will get 90 minutes, band 2, a band we actually paid to see will get 30 minutes, and then the headliner goes on an hour later and plays only 75 minutes because they got a late start.
hold on one second... is this 90 minutes split between a few bands or are you saying local openers get an hour and a half set? I've flat out NEVER seen a local opener get more time than any of the touring bands. In my area, locals are lucky to get a half hour most of the time.
Crappy local openers are a plague. At Possessed in seattle, we had some bullshit bro-core bands open for possessed (FUCKING LEGENDARY POSSESSED!!!) because they know some people. I'm not saying the entire night of music needs to sound the same, but having some false bullshit open for a true metal band is pretty lame... and happens way too much. That's why people need to support their local scene, find the bands that are deserving of these slots (i can guarentee that there's at least one band in an area that is good) and demand they open the shows. the fans have the influence because promotors just want people in the doors.
I think there should only be 1 local max! Does it really help to have 2 local acts when we have to wait for the headliner so late at night. I think Division should be the only act for the Jaxx show, or just Kamelot and Edguy.
most of these places have bars and they want the show to go as close to last call as possible. i've been on a 3 band bill once that had a 4th band but they dropped off. We were set up at 8:30 or 9 and we had to wait until 10:30 to start playing because they didn't want the show to end early. Thanks to that (and a long set change-over from the second band... bullshit pisses me off) Slough Feg had to cut about 6 songs :(

They still rocked it though.

that's a sweet pre birthday party gig!! See you So. Cal fans at the Key Club!

p.s. Firewind is playing the Key club Mon. 5/30 sadly it's the same night as Iron Maiden.

Crappy local openers are a plague. At Possessed in seattle, we had some bullshit bro-core bands open for possessed (FUCKING LEGENDARY POSSESSED!!!) because they know some people. I'm not saying the entire night of music needs to sound the same, but having some false bullshit open for a true metal band is pretty lame... and happens way too much. That's why people need to support their local scene, find the bands that are deserving of these slots (i can guarentee that there's at least one band in an area that is good) and demand they open the shows. the fans have the influence because promotors just want people in the doors.

And that's just it. There ARE local bands that are decent/good/great that could really help round out already killer metal shows. Sadly, it's the all the local crap out there(good lord the shit I've endured at Pearl Room) that's clogging up the pipeline. And yeah, like you said it doesn't even need to be similar sounding bands, just something good.

No doubt .. it gets tiresome hearing the Chicago folks complain about having to take a little road trip. The people on the Powerfest board constantly bitch about having to go to Mokena. Get over it folks ... suck it up, get up off your dead asses, and make the little road trip. Shoot, I think they have train service from the city that comes within blocks of The Pearl Room.

Britt

No doubt .. it gets tiresome hearing the Chicago folks complain about having to take a little road trip. The people on the Powerfest board constantly bitch about having to go to Mokena. Get over it folks ... suck it up, get up off your dead asses, and make the little road trip. Shoot, I think they have train service from the city that comes within blocks of The Pearl Room.

Britt

Or those in the south bitching about "band x" not coming to the south...again. Or the second ANY tour gets announced, at least 50 ppl from Atl begging/pleading/bitching about an Atl date, or why isn't there one yet... Or people complaining about shows being during the week and they've got work.

I could go on and on here. The point is that everyone tends to complain/bitch here and there about concerts, venues, travel, costs, sound quality at shows, etc. Perhaps you should deal with it. I routinely travel across the country for concerts if that's what I need to do, as do many others here. So just because someone complains about proximity of a venue, I wouldn't go assuming they can't "suck it up" or can't get off their "dead asses."

Or those in the south bitching about "band x" not coming to the south...again. Or the second ANY tour gets announced, at least 50 ppl from Atl begging/pleading/bitching about an Atl date, or why isn't there one yet... Or people complaining about shows being during the week and they've got work.

I could go on and on here. The point is that everyone tends to complain/bitch here and there about concerts, venues, travel, costs, sound quality at shows, etc. Perhaps you should deal with it. I routinely travel across the country for concerts if that's what I need to do, as do many others here. So just because someone complains about proximity of a venue, I wouldn't go assuming they can't "suck it up" or can't get off their "dead asses."
Whatever ... travelling 45 minutes to a show shouldn't force the kind of belly-aching I constantly read about on these boards. That's a short trip to see some quality shows at quality prices.

Britt

SOME of us have Careers and can;t just travel across the country for concerts.:Smug:

SOME of us have Careers and can;t just travel across the country for concerts.:Smug:

I have a career and regularly travel to go to these shows. It's the major reason I'll likely be missing this one since it's a weekday and my vacation time this year is going towards my honeymoon. If I didn't have a career, there's no way I could afford to travel anywhere.

Whatever ... travelling 45 minutes to a show shouldn't force the kind of belly-aching I constantly read about on these boards. That's a short trip to see some quality shows at quality prices.

Yeah, it's a little different IMO from when a band doesn't come within a *6-hour* drive of Atlanta, which, for those of you who think we bitch a lot, is the rule. Iron Maiden hasn't been here since I've LIVED here. So I finally went to NYC to see them--but I still reserve the right to be unhappy that they skip Atlanta on every tour.

I can't simply take 2 days off of work and drop a couple hundred bucks or more to go see every band that I want to see that skips Atlanta, and I'm guessing most others can't either. Travelling a long distance for a show is pretty much a once- or twice-a-year thing for me at most. To pretend that travelling cross-country for shows should be "routine" for anybody is simply not realistic by any stretch.

Shaye

Yeah, clearly. I wasn't implying that cross country travel is a realistic solution for most people. Simply that when the opportunity arises I have no problem doing it. Invisible Guest made mention of people getting off their asses and making the 45 min "road trip" to a particular venue. I just thought it was a bit presumptuous to assume just because Chicago residents aren't keen on traveling to the suburbs for a show, that they are lazy or whatever, because I take quite a few road trips for concerts(NYC,Minn, STL, Clevland, Milwaukee,etc.) and still feel entitled to bitch about The Pearl Room.

I live in the suburbs about 35-40 miles southwest of Chicago, and would much much much rather spend an hour driving downtown for a show than to fucking Mokena. It's about an equal drive for me, but I'd be willing to drive double just to actually be going downtown rather than The Pearl Room.

Yeah, it's a little different IMO from when a band doesn't come within a *6-hour* drive of Atlanta, which, for those of you who think we bitch a lot, is the rule. Iron Maiden hasn't been here since I've LIVED here. So I finally went to NYC to see them--but I still reserve the right to be unhappy that they skip Atlanta on every tour.

I can't simply take 2 days off of work and drop a couple hundred bucks or more to go see every band that I want to see that skips Atlanta, and I'm guessing most others can't either. Travelling a long distance for a show is pretty much a once- or twice-a-year thing for me at most. To pretend that travelling cross-country for shows should be "routine" for anybody is simply not realistic by any stretch.

Shaye
I can fully understand the folks in Atlanta being pissed when a show skips their area. That's totally understandable. You shouldn't have to make a regular practice of having to travel great distances to see shows.

My comments earlier were directed at the folks who live in Chicago who bitch every single time a band decides to play out in the burbs instead of inside the city. It's like a 45 minute drive, and public transportation is avaialble for those that live in the city, but don't have vehicles.

Britt

Yeah, clearly. I wasn't implying that cross country travel is a realistic solution for most people. Simply that when the opportunity arises I have no problem doing it. Invisible Guest made mention of people getting off their asses and making the 45 min "road trip" to a particular venue. I just thought it was a bit presumptuous to assume just because Chicago residents aren't keen on traveling to the suburbs for a show, that they are lazy or whatever, because I take quite a few road trips for concerts(NYC,Minn, STL, Clevland, Milwaukee,etc.) and still feel entitled to bitch about The Pearl Room.

I live in the suburbs about 35-40 miles southwest of Chicago, and would much much much rather spend an hour driving downtown for a show than to fucking Mokena. It's about an equal drive for me, but I'd be willing to drive double just to actually be going downtown rather than The Pearl Room.
I could understand the bitching if the venue was a peice of shit, but that's not the case with The Pearl Room. It's actually a pretty good spot to see a show, and is the perfect size for the bands like Kamelot, Symphony X, etc.

What prompted my first post in this thread was the thought that someone was going to skip the show because it was in the burbs, and not in the city. I just thought that was pretty lame .. as did a few other posters.

Britt

hold on one second... is this 90 minutes split between a few bands or are you saying local openers get an hour and a half set? I've flat out NEVER seen a local opener get more time than any of the touring bands. In my area, locals are lucky to get a half hour most of the time.

most of these places have bars and they want the show to go as close to last call as possible. i've been on a 3 band bill once that had a 4th band but they dropped off. We were set up at 8:30 or 9 and we had to wait until 10:30 to start playing because they didn't want the show to end early. Thanks to that (and a long set change-over from the second band... bullshit pisses me off) Slough Feg had to cut about 6 songs :(

They still rocked it though.
When I saw the Metal for the Masses Tour last year with SCAR SYMMETRY, INTO ETERNITY, DARK TRANQUILLITY, and THE HAUNTED at The Trocadero in Philly, the dickhead promoter put a local band on first. They were called CIRCLE OF FEAR. They had no business being on a four band bill that started at 8 p.m. They played 5 songs. One was a SLAYER cover whose title escapes me at the moment. SS was up next and played 4 songs. IE was after SS and were cut one song. SS was who I was fucking dying as all hell to see. We saw Christian Alvestam(Scar Symmetry vocalist) near the end of the show. He told us they got cut 3 songs. Fuck that shit! A local opener gets one more song than the act who's part of the tour? That's bullshit!

For some reason I have a real hard time believing you on this note. In the many years I've been going to concerts, I have absolutely never heard of a local opener getting 90 minutes. It seems virtually impossible to me, but...