RAVEN North American Tour 2010

Bwah?????? "Faster Than the Speed of Light"? "Tyrant of the Airwaves"? "Live at the Inferno"? These guys were fore-runners of thrash. They've always been rooted in insanely fast, chaotic metal......proto-thrash and Raven go hand in hand.

Well, all NWOBHM is an influence of thrash.

WIPED OUT for example is a HEAVY NWOBHM album.

Though they took a more direct trad metal approach with albums like STAY HARD (which is a GREAT GREAT album!!!)

edgeofthorns - you might like em.

Here's one of my all time fav tracks by them:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.....Stay Hard and The Pack Is Back were done for an American audience....they lost their thrashy roots, and because of it, lost much of their fan base. I remember Metallica saying "what happened to Raven....they used to be cool". Yeah, they were/are a NWOBHM band, but they pushed the speed and energy to a crazy degree.....like I said earlier, no one sounded like them before, and there still are no bands that sound like them now.

Eh, who cares what sub genre they are labeled..........

They are a great band, and I am glad they are hitting the States!!!!

Yeah, I certainly remember the KILL EM ALL FOR ONE tour, as it was pretty much right when I was getting into underground metal. It wasn't though until STAY HARD came out that I probably first heard RAVEN, and agree that it was definitely more of a commercial direction. I still like that stuff though.

Eh, who cares what sub genre they are labeled..........

They are a great band, and I am glad they are hitting the States!!!!

Yeah, I certainly remember the KILL EM ALL FOR ONE tour, as it was pretty much right when I was getting into underground metal. It wasn't though until STAY HARD came out that I probably first heard RAVEN, and agree that it was definitely more of a commercial direction. I still like that stuff though.

Agreed!:headbang: I dig all of their stuff, though their '94 cd "Glow" was a weird shift in direction. I'm really looking forward to their new cd!

Ha!!! Yeah, that was a VERY commercial attempt visually, but I love that track.

As far as classics go, you might like this:

That was the one. Great time wasn't it?

Was Testament there as well? My memory fails me.

They were, but they only played 30 minutes because Body Count wouldn't get off the stage. That building was humongous and the fact there were so few people there made it look even bigger.

Hey, nomisofsiman,

I've been to The Abbey a few times (I've seen The Alex Skolnick Trio, Asia, and Ozric Tentacles there), and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. The setup is pretty cool, and the sound is top-notch. Reggie's could learn a thing or ten from that place. I'm pretty surprised that any metal bands would play there, though. The atmosphere of the place doesn't exactly scream "METAL!" It's very much an Irish pub. The food isn't bad, so if you like to get to shows early, I would reccommend getting a table upstairs and ordering some chow from one of the fine Irish lasses on duty. I hope this helps.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Hey, nomisofsiman,

I've been to The Abbey a few times (I've seen The Alex Skolnick Trio, Asia, and Ozric Tentacles there), and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. The setup is pretty cool, and the sound is top-notch. Reggie's could learn a thing or ten from that place. I'm pretty surprised that any metal bands would play there, though. The atmosphere of the place doesn't exactly scream "METAL!" It's very much an Irish pub. The food isn't bad, so if you like to get to shows early, I would reccommend getting a table upstairs and ordering some chow from one of the fine Irish lasses on duty. I hope this helps.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Thanks, much. Good to know. I'm always a little leery with venues I've never been to. Irish pubs always tend to have good food. :kickass:

Hey, nomisofsiman,

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

out of curiosity...what is wrong with Reggies? it is a great place for shows and run well.

I've listened to it, but I just don't think it's my thing.

~Brian~

Fair enough. Just out of curiosity, what about it do you not like?
Is it the raw production of NWOBHM in general?

Reason I ask is one my major issues with prog metal (while I do like some) is the slick production. Granted, I know for some that is a major appeal, so different strokes for different folks.

Fair enough. Just out of curiosity, what about it do you not like?
Is it the raw production of NWOBHM in general?

Raw production really doesn't bother me too bad, but it has to fit the band. With these guys, it obviously does fit. It's to my understanding that Raven has recorded live to tape for a few of their releases. More or less, I think the whole lack of melody is what turned me off. Judging from this cut, they sound average to me. Nothing really catches my ear or stands out. For instance, the first time I heard Manilla Road's Crystal Logic, the guitarist's ability caught my attention. The dude has some monsterous riffs on that album! So far, Raven simply sounds "noisy" to me. (shrugs)

~Brian~

Raw production really doesn't bother me too bad, but it has to fit the band. With these guys, it obviously does fit. It's to my understanding that Raven has recorded live to tape for a few of their releases. More or less, I think the whole lack of melody is what turned me off. Judging from this cut, they sound average to me. Nothing really catches my ear or stands out. For instance, the first time I heard Manilla Road's Crystal Logic, the guitarist's ability caught my attention. The dude has some monsterous riffs on that album! So far, Raven simply sounds "noisy" to me. (shrugs)

~Brian~

hey edge..how about this one.....

You guys are funny, trying to make Edgeofthorns like this. :lol: Like he said, Raven is exactly the most melodic band in the world and I don't think this example from "Get Hard" helps that point. I like Raven don't get me wrong, from what I've heard. They have some cool riffs but like I said, they aren't incredibly melodic which is his reason for not liking it.