Kamelot/Edguy Tourdates Announced!

And that's just it. There ARE local bands that are decent/good/great that could really help round out already killer metal shows. Sadly, it's the all the local crap out there(good lord the shit I've endured at Pearl Room) that's clogging up the pipeline. And yeah, like you said it doesn't even need to be similar sounding bands, just something good.
The problem is the scene is based on who you know. This is a smaller example, but when i saw the Iron Maidens play, there was a local opener called Listen Louder (i wouldn't even promote their name if it wasn't so fucking stupid) that was some gay rock band that had horrible musicians, etc. etc. etc. It wasn't bro-metal or shit death metal, it was rock. But unlike rock that rocks, this was just a bunch of 45 year old burnouts who were drunk as fuck and playing shitty songs in the vein of other songs. Literally, you could say "oh, that's their iron maiden song, that's their green day song, that's their blink 182 song, that's their journey song", etc. I talked to the promotor and said "dude, next time you gotta book our band. we'd fit opening for them way better than this shit" and he said "i've known these guys forever and they sold a bunch of tickets" and i just rolled my eyes and said 'yeah... but this sucks dude'. He's a friend of mine so it's not like i burned a bridge. He just laughed and said "jesus Zach..." Point is, shit bands who spend more time on making connections and less on making awesome music still get the slots. Fuckin' gay.
When I saw the Metal for the Masses Tour last year with SCAR SYMMETRY, INTO ETERNITY, DARK TRANQUILLITY, and THE HAUNTED at The Trocadero in Philly, the dickhead promoter put a local band on first. They were called CIRCLE OF FEAR. They had no business being on a four band bill that started at 8 p.m. They played 5 songs. One was a SLAYER cover whose title escapes me at the moment. SS was up next and played 4 songs. IE was after SS and were cut one song. SS was who I was fucking dying as all hell to see. We saw Christian Alvestam(Scar Symmetry vocalist) near the end of the show. He told us they got cut 3 songs. Fuck that shit! A local opener gets one more song than the act who's part of the tour? That's bullshit!
On the flipside of what i just said, obviously locals should not cut into the time, but that's the venue's responsibility to plan the start time of the show around that. If the locals aren't on top of their shit getting set up in a timely manner and loading in on time, their set should get cut. That's a given. But the venue should account for time between sets, give a slight bit of leeway for problems and delays that are sure to arise, and take some responsibility on their end as well. THAT SAID, i don't know how it is in your area but local bands here doing any show that is opening for a national touring band in a regular venue (not a bar) has to sell tickets for said show, often times are obligated to sell at least 100 tickets or else they won't get to return as openers at that venue. There's a lot of work that goes into it, and they are bringing a lot of people to the show so locals should get a fair shot at a decent set. Again, the venues should plan around the fact that there is a local band rather than cutting into the touring band's set. And for christs sake, there are good bands out there! Let them play!

edit: by the local getting a decent set, i think half hour to 40 minutes is more than fair. Having a band sell tickets and giving them 20 minutes is a bunch of shit IMO.

As much as we like to complain that the good tours rarely, if ever, come through Atlanta, I for one am glad that we finally have a good local scene again. Thanks to the likes of Hoyt, Halcyon Way, Inviolate, EBS and A Lower Deep, there are shows I can go to fairly frequently. Also, (again, thanks to Hoyt) I can now rest assured that there is a much better chance of seeing a decent local opener when tours like Symphony X come through.

Thanks, guys! :kickass: :headbang:

--Mike

As much as we like to complain that the good tours rarely, if ever, come through Atlanta, I for one am glad that we finally have a good local scene again. Thanks to the likes of Hoyt, Halcyon Way, Inviolate, EBS and A Lower Deep, there are shows I can go to fairly frequently. Also, (again, thanks to Hoyt) I can now rest assured that there is a much better chance of seeing a decent local opener when tours like Symphony X come through.

Thanks, guys! :kickass: :headbang:

--Mike

:oops: thank you for the kudos Mike. I appreciate it. :D

I don't know. Last time I saw KAMELOT at BBKing's was with LEAVES' EYES and only the two bands played. So hopefully that's the case here. Both bands have more than enough catalog and notoriety to carry the show themselves. Plus, I'd hate to see a fuckup somehow happen and EDGUY's set get cut.

Well then request a good band to open for BB King's .... why not Suspyre? they are fairly local to NYC. :)