RAVEN North American Tour 2010

Oh hell yea!!!! Trad metal on the rise in the States suckas!!!! :headbang::kickass:

Legendary British/American heavy metal trio RAVEN will play a very limited number of North American dates in support of its new album, "Walk Through Fire".

The details are as follows:

Sep. 10 - Sonar - Baltimore, MD

Nice! First show of the tour is not far from my house:headbang:...but I'll already be at PP. I'm sure they'll be back around. Nothing can keep me from ProgPower!:headbang:

Son of a... When I get home from this lovely sandbox, I am moving to the VA Beach area, and as I already have PP tickets, looks like I will miss Raven again. Been a fan since the All for One days and have yet to see them. Since they live in VA, maybe I will have a shot in the few years I expect to be there.

Jasonic,

I would highly reccommend seeing The Alex Skolnick Trio, especially if you can dig jazz guitar music. Skolnick's originals harken back to the age of Wes Montgomery and Kenny Burrell, and his covers of classic rock and metal tunes are very clever and enjoyable. Skolnick is very happy to chat with folks after his shows, too. Another plus for you is that he keeps his shirt on. :lol:

Diabolik,

I have a few gripes with Reggie's. First of all, the floor is the most uncomfortable one on which I've ever stood. After the first half hour at that venue, my lower back is screaming in pain. Second, that venue likes to pull a Pearl Room and add as many opening bands to a show as possible. At least the Pearl Room would add one or two good local acts to the bill, however. Finally, I'm not impressed with the sound at Reggie's at all. I've heard worse (remember Riley's?), but I've certainly heard much better. The Abbey trumps Reggie's on all of the above accounts.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Jasonic,

I would highly reccommend seeing The Alex Skolnick Trio, especially if you can dig jazz guitar music. Skolnick's originals harken back to the age of Wes Montgomery and Kenny Burrell, and his covers of classic rock and metal tunes are very clever and enjoyable. Skolnick is very happy to chat with folks after his shows, too. Another plus for you is that he keeps his shirt on. :lol:

Diabolik,

I have a few gripes with Reggie's. First of all, the floor is the most uncomfortable one on which I've ever stood. After the first half hour at that venue, my lower back is screaming in pain. Second, that venue likes to pull a Pearl Room and add as many opening bands to a show as possible. At least the Pearl Room would add one or two good local acts to the bill, however. Finally, I'm not impressed with the sound at Reggie's at all. I've heard worse (remember Riley's?), but I've certainly heard much better. The Abbey trumps Reggie's on all of the above accounts.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Shirt on = MAJOR plus!!! :headbang:

I will certainly consider it. I will be out there on business, so just depends on how the evening goes, as I am traveling with a bunch of people.

Pearl Room booked good local openers? I must have missed that memo, or just got VERY unlucky with the shows I went to, because I can list MANY crappy locals that were added to most shows I was at there.

Reggies has never had a band play that wasn't already advertised.

As far as the floor, I like that it is slanted downward, since if you are in back, you can still see pretty well.

I am just glad that Reggies is off the ground, as it is a perfect venue for bands not quite large enough to fill Pearl Room, etc....

I never had a problem with the sound at Riley's.
My old band played there, and to be honest, it was one of the better houses I have played in (And that includes Empty Bottle, Lounge Ax, Double Door, etc).

Oh well, no ones ever satisfied, right???????? :)

Jasonic,

Diabolik,

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Reggies doesnt add local acts to shows. These are the bands booked. Pearl Room was nontorious for adding bands on the week before hand or a few weeks before. What good local bands? There are only Novembers Doom, Nachmystym and High Spirits. The floor is great because it is at an angle so you can see over who is front of you. My favorite place as of now is the Bottom Lounge. My brother who is in a band with some of the Reggies people was telling me today that now they are going to charge to get into the restraunt since there is bands there at night. Lame.

What good local bands? There are only Novembers Doom, Nachmystym and High Spirits.

Well, at least in terms of Novembers Doom or Nachmystym they actually are relatively well known in other places outside of Chicago, so I don't know if they really count as being a truly local band. Not saying they're like Maiden popular or anything but they are known. I would also like to add Russian Circles to good Chicago bands though.

I take it you guys don't consider Mindwarp Chamber or Sacred Dawn to be good bands in the Chicago metal scene. Granted, you may not have wanted to see them open for every single show that came to the Pearl Room, but you can't deny that they're good bands. Of course, there are other good local bands that are often forgotten for some reason or another: Lydian Sea, Rival, and Septer come to mind. I'd be really curious to see if Divinity Compromised plays out in the near future, as they sound promising.

As for the floor at Reggie's, I also like the fact that the slope allows for better sight of the stage. However, the hardness of the floor makes for an achy spine after only a short amount of time. I guess what it comes down to is that everybody has their favorite places to see bands. Personally, I wish more metal bands would play at Durty Nellie's in Palatine. The location, size, and sound of that place is perfect for shows.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Ha! Yeah, I used to live in the city for about 4 years.
I am in Lombard now.

Sacred Dawn??? What happened to those guys?
Last couple of times it seemed they try to incorporate harsh vox.
Doesn't work for their sound.

I have never seen Mindwarp live, so I can't comment.
I do think Scott is a great vocalist.

I saw Rival once. They were decent. It seems like they are one of those bands that could be very solid if they were more active.

Earthen Grave is the one newer local band I am most excited about.
They are talented as hell, and have a very original sound.
It ain't your grandpa's doom!!! :lol:

Ha! Yeah, I used to live in the city for about 4 years.
I am in Lombard now.

Sacred Dawn??? What happened to those guys?
Last couple of times it seemed they try to incorporate harsh vox.
Doesn't work for their sound.

I have never seen Mindwarp live, so I can't comment.
I do think Scott is a great vocalist.

I saw Rival once. They were decent. It seems like they are one of those bands that could be very solid if they were more active.

Earthen Grave is the one newer local band I am most excited about.
They are talented as hell, and have a very original sound.
It ain't your grandpa's doom!!! :lol:

I don't know if I've ever been to a show with Sacred Dawn there, so I can't say. I'm not actually very fond of their studio output. Just something about them rubs me the wrong way.

Earthen Grave are incredible. They were the show stealer for sure at the Anvil show earlier in the year. I don't know if it is doom though. Hell, I don't know what it is besides some kickass metal. That violinist they have is...well...:OMG: good.