Kamelot ?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Is this band worth exploring? I've read many great reviews and am intrigued.

To note, I'm NOT a fan of most Euro "flower metal" (Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, etc). However, many of the reviews I've read, particularly of the latest album ("Black Crown", I think?), all state that this band is NOT in the same vein as those bands. Is that accurate? Can these fellas write songs - true songs - without relying of gimmicks and cheesy, flowery lyrics and tunes?

Which record is best to start with?

I think most people that know me, know that I just HATE happy metal Helloween clones.

I can't stand Euro-Power metal. Still I really like Kamelot. I have their albums from "The Fourth Legacy" on. Thats because I consider them to be US metal = more aggressive and serious in its approach.

I did not like "Karma" much but "Epica" and especially "The Black Halo" rule!!
You are right in presuming that "The Black Halo" is different. Its more melodic and more progressive at the same time! Its also a very emotional album. I still play it a lot and discover new things up to this very day.

Perhaps you can start with "The Black Halo" and if you like it work you're way backwards. But they are definatly worth to check out.

tHE BLACK HALO was the first Kamelot I ever heard....I have difficulties being with out it! as a concept album it's one of my faves for 2005.

I've heard some other Kamelot stuff but nothing hit me like The Black halo. If you like Khan's vocals check out his old band CONCEPTION as boy oh boy I cannot wait to hear them at ProgPower! :hotjump:

I never dug Kamelot, and I only have one Conception album (and I find it so-so). For power metal I prefer Helloween, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Mesmerize, Cryonic Temple, Steel Prophet, etc. And for prog-power I stick with Angel Dust, Redemption, Manigance, etc.

I read alot of stuff saying how great The Black Halo was and i just coundnt get into it. Im suprised how many people love this record. i really found it boring and nothing special but thats only my opinion

Can these fellas write songs - true songs - without relying of gimmicks and cheesy, flowery lyrics and tunes?
I see Kamelot as the missing link between melodic euro-metal and melodic US-metal, they draw influences from both "genres" but can't be put in either category. Just like if you mixed Crimson Glory with Stratovarius, while sounding very different from them.
A few songs may be cheesy at times but they are usually way more mature than Helloween clones IMO, yet not as dark or cold-sounding as US metal bands.
My favorite has to be the latest (and darkest) one, The Black Halo, tied with The 4th Legacy :) Karma is closer to happy-euro-metal and I guess that's why Hawk doesn't like it too much :D It's well done if you like the genre though. If you don't, which seems to be the case, you'd better check The Black Halo first I think.
Dominion, their second record, is also worth mentioning, even though they had a different singer at the time (1997). They were playing some more progressive and unpolished stuff...

By the way I don't consider Hammerfall "flower metal", but that's just me ;) Ahhh, labels...

Fangface said:
I
By the way I don't consider Hammerfall "flower metal", but that's just me ;) Ahhh, labels...

Hate that tag remind me of the "square section" of old TMG :bah: . I prefer to divide power metal into listenable (Helloween, Hammerfall, Mesmerize) unlistenable (Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, DragonForce), and skipable (any band I don't care about right now :tickled: ).

SoundMaster said:
Is this band worth exploring? I've read many great reviews and am intrigued.

To note, I'm NOT a fan of most Euro "flower metal" (Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, etc). However, many of the reviews I've read, particularly of the latest album ("Black Crown", I think?), all state that this band is NOT in the same vein as those bands. Is that accurate? Can these fellas write songs - true songs - without relying of gimmicks and cheesy, flowery lyrics and tunes?

Which record is best to start with?

Get The Black Halo!!!!!!! ...... Flower Metal is a silly term :lol:

Hawk said:
I did not like "Karma" much but "Epica" and especially "The Black Halo" rule!!

I like Karma and The Fourth Legacy quite a bit but not Epica. :D The Black Halo really is a great disc.

Oh, and I like "Ne Pleure Pas" better than "Don't You Cry". It's gotta be the French.

Hawk said:
Perhaps you can start with "The Black Halo" and if you like it work you're way backwards. But they are definatly worth to check out.

I think that's great advice.

No-Mercy said:
hahah oh man....you wouldnt get along to well at my house, then!

On the other hand NM will probably feel at ease in mine ;)