Katatonia Advice

Discouraged Ones is definitely the best of their melodic vocal phase...I would even say it's their best album period. The album is the most effective example of the depressing atmosphere that Katatonia does well. It's a very simple album in rhythm and melody, so I suspect that's why people say it's boring. However, this, at least in my opinion, perfectly relates to the weighed down, hopeless, and perpetual sleep-like feelings that accompany depression. And it all seems natural, which I can't really say about their subsequent releases.

Also, if you can find the song Nowhere (Mike on vocals), it's about the best Katatonia song ever recorded. I think it's on some EP.

Discouraged Ones is definitely the best of their melodic vocal phase...I would even say it's their best album period. The album is the most effective example of the depressing atmosphere that Katatonia does well. It's a very simple album in rhythm and melody, so I suspect that's why people say it's boring. However, this, at least in my opinion, perfectly relates to the weighed down, hopeless, and perpetual sleep-like feelings that accompany depression. And it all seems natural, which I can't really say about their subsequent releases.

Also, if you can find the song Nowhere (Mike on vocals), it's about the best Katatonia song ever recorded. I think it's on some EP.
"Nowhere" is off "Sounds of Decay" which can be found on the most recent (Peaceville) reissue of Brave Murder Day. Very true what you said about Discouraged Ones also, I completely agree :Spin:

Another slightly more hidden jewel you may want to track down by Katatonia is the song "Scarlet Heavens" from the EP "Saw You Drown", if you like old school gothic rock then give that a listen. A lot of their more obscure, hidden away stuff happens to be some of their best, namely the EP's For Funerals to Come, Sounds of Decay, Saw You Drown and the tracks in the style of DODS found on the "Brave Yester Days" compilation.

Discouraged Ones took me a long time to get into...the longest of all their melodic albums. I thought it was really boring. Actually I thought all their albums were boring then one by one they grew on me as I went farther back into their catalog.