Katatonia Cover

griev0r

Here is Nowhere
May 13, 2007
Florida
I know this has been tried before and failed miserably, but I really would love to try and do this. We all came together at the Bloodbath forums and ended up covering Like Fire which turned out pretty good and I had a lot of fun doing that. Would anyone be up for trying to record a cover of a song of something from the BMD to LFDGD era? We have a lot of talented musicians here and I'm pretty sure there is someone here that can sing a lot like Jonas...

Anyone up for this? I have a really good sound for my drums now and we would need a bass player, 2 guitarists (or one doing both guitars doesn't matter, prolly would sound better that way), and a singer. Would be nice to have someone knowledgeable in mixing it all together because I'm retarded when it comes to that.

If you want to contribute lets hear your suggestions for song and for fucks sake if you want to do guitars have a decent way of recording, so many times people here want me to do drums to their songs and they are off time and sound like they were recorded in a garbage can.

I already know a couple that I would love to cover but would like to hear your suggestions.

I could do both guitars for songs like Brave, Murder and Day.
Recording-device is a Line6 Pod X3 live connected to PC via USB.

Here is a soundsample from me on October Tide's Infinite Submission:

(audio/video is not synced very well, but youtube fucked up >.>)

Last edited by a moderator:
Obsidian sounds good! I'd love to do something from BMD or Sounds of Decay, really up to the guitarist though.

Well, what about Without God? (Brave & Murder would be fine too).
I could do other songs as well, but those would need more time for learning/tabbing.

Time to search for bass & vocals.. I actually know someone who could do the vocals properly,
but don't know if he has the time to do them, I will keep you informed :)

I'm definitely down with playing guitar for a cover. Still keen on completing the one from the old thread too.
That being said, I have access to some pretty awesome gear to record with, aswell as a guy with mixing experience. It could sound real awesome-like.

but... if you already have guitars.. I can do bass perhaps

Eh I dunno about Without God, I'm not a huge fan of the first album. I already have the drums done for Brave, only thing is I did it using my old drum sound so it doesn't sound the best. You could use it for drums while you record and then send me guitar tracks and I could redo it with the new drums.

http://download402.mediafire.com/zkmmvsyftwjg/o5mocmuzeiw/brave.mp3

I would like to do something from DO to LFDGD with clean vocals as well if anyone is up to it.

Lord Obsidian and I have already completed the drums and guitars for Brave. But we still need vocals and bass if anyone is interested..

There's a chance I could do the bass for you, I quite like the sound of this. I've not "learned" the song but it can't be too hard as from what I can tell the bass just follows the guitar and its a song I'm very familiar with. At my friend's house I can record into Audacity using a Zoom effects pedal so if you just tell me what kind of bass sound you'd like I'll be happy to give it a try. The pedal is for guitars but I've used it with my bass and it worked fine...I've used a really nice, deep watery chorus effect before which I think might work quite well, although I believe the bass on the original album is distorted.

Have you considered putting guitars to one of their more "electronic" songs? I was fooling around with Unfurl earlier and came up with chords to go under it. It gives it a kind of folky melancholic feel. Just a suggestion.

I don't think there is any distortion for bass. Just plug straight in and record, just get with Obisidian about tuning. Here is some tabs, if you have guitar pro you can find the bass tab in there.

http://www.911tabs.com/tabs/k/katatonia/brave_tab.htm
The tuning is Eb/ D#, am I right? Half a step down from standard?

Anyway, I'll have an opportunity to have a first go at doing it in a day or so:cool:

Well you will need our track so you can play to it but Obsidian is making a few guitar fix's now that he has drums in there so I'm waiting on him and I can send it to you.

Going to send you the file later this day when I am back at home @Nightmare :)
I've just contacted someone for the vocals, but don't know yet if he is up to do them, I'll keep you informed.

Got a badass vocalist for this. Obsidian can you pm me updated song so I can send it over to him.

I could do the the guitar parts and vocal parts of Kata songs cover. I am up for it, you name it I will play it : ) please let me know if you want me to do the parts you guys want.
this project sounds a lot of fun!

Bereavement I checked out your bands myspace, good shit man I'm definitely up for recording another cover with ya. I'm gonna pick something from the do-lfdgd days today and get the drums finished for it today.

I just finished up the drums. I've wanted to do Cold Ways for awhile so that's what I chose. Check your pm box for the drum mp3.