Katatonia puts all others to shame!!!

Orca_Bracer said:
Hey the atmosphere is great man and I love all there songs intstrumentally. The old stuff is good too, in fact I actually like listening to the music but I just dont like the singing in the old days. Sorry to be a little harsh. SO YES THE OLD IS GREAT, BUT I DONT LIKE THE SINGING(YELLING). Even if it has good lyrics and means something important I think that it sounds ugly. Thats me though, if its sounds beautful to you then who cares, dont flame. I respect it man! I think the best example of great turned bad in MY OPINION is murder. Has a great melody but then you know what comes after that. Blahhhhhh, conjure the spirits , just kidding!!!!!!!!!! Im just curious all you yell fans what posesses a person to sing like that?????????

Sorry, I didn't mean to have a go at you or anything, I just can't understand how the vocals can put you off. I guess I assumed you listened to other metal where vocals like that are very standard, but I guess not! But nah, as long as you appreciate the music then even if you don't like the vocals that's cool. I thought you were totally discarding it because there was no singing. Out of interest, it was actually Jonas who did the vocals on Dance of December Souls (and the clean vocals of Brave Murder Day), and not someone else.

As for that vocal style in general, it conveys emotion in a different sense in my opinion. I guess it's hard to describe in this context; in death metal it really fits the musical style and the ideas behind it. Same goes for the black metal vocal style. I suppose the bottom line is just some like it, some don't.

Ugh......... I cant wait for Viva emptiness. I dont think I have ever anticipated an album like this before!!

golgotha85 said:
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER! :headbang: I can't stand it when people won't even recognize the quality and talent of harsh vocalled metal just because of the vocals! My mother is always walking around in my room when I'm listening to music and mocking the vocals while cleaning up around, it really bothers me. While the lyrics are talking about love or desertion, my mother is busy screaming about Satan and killing children. I think she really misinterprets the music I listen to. Oh well, anyone else had similar experiences?
Clean your own room for fuck's sake

I wouldn't say Katatonia puts all to shame, they don't do that by far, but only because all is so many.

What I will say is that I love Katatonia, they are fucking bad ass, and are one of the selected few that make up my favorites. There is something special they have, that no one can duplicate close to the same level. I love them for what they have to offer.

However, to me, Opeth is the greatest band that has ever existed, they are the gods of music in all it's meaning; from centuries of history including Grieg, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Tzchicovsky (my classical fav's); to Coltrane, the Beatles, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Tool, and Katatonia (just to name a few).