Katatonia status 2008

Bleak Eyes

Irrelevant
Jun 16, 2003
Maryland
Visit site
With the announcement of a brand new Bloodbath full-length, it has made me wonder about Katatonia for 2008. Will this affect the progress of Katatonia making a new album this year? Please fill us in Mr. Nyström!!!:saint:

definitely interested in any info on this and I'm sure everyone else is too.

ok here's the deal... we have been supposed to enter the studio on two locations already but ended up postponing both because we simply didn't manage to come up with enough (fantastic) material yet. so we decided booking a studio and working towards a deadline won't work for us this time (while it did work on every album before) that's why we're now in a situation where we'll write the album first and THEN book the studio once we're confident the completed material represents our best. as u can tell, this has been the toughest process of our career trying write and top the last album. there's both a writer's block and pressure involved and we're also not sure were we're going 100%. one side of us wants to make songs like unfurl and explore that sound way deeper and one side wants to go the opposite, so who knows, maybe it'll end up being a balance of them both and not too far from The Great Cold Distance, but at the same time we're determined not to make two albums twice and the same after such a long time has passed inbetween the releases again. its' safe to say tho that we know we'll just follow our guts and go with what feels right for us at the very moment and hopefully it will all be worth it, and feel all right we're done, but it aint easy. we're looking at entering the studio again somwhere between summer-autumn, so the album will most certainly be a 2009 release and once again create a 3 year gap between them.

I'm definitely willing to wait till you guys feel it's your best.

Thanks for the honest update.

Thanks for the update Anders... Hey I have an idea for you guys... Make two albums! one completely heavy, ominous, eerie and brutally dark and the other melancholy atmospheric textural and pensive... just a thought

Hmm. I never heard of any band doing this before...oh wait..

:lol:

Maybe you guys should take some music from your first few albums, and mix them with the latter albums. Not the vocals from the first few, just the music. That would be an interesting blend.

Just let them do what they do. I can honestly wait a few more years for an album...but that's because I have too much patience...which will be the death of me. Good update! SUPPORT!

While I personally want something in the vein of Unfurl and The Great Cold Distance EPs, I think that Katatonia should do whatever they feel most comfortable doing. After creating something the caliber of TGCD, it's no wonder that they're have a difficult time with a follow-up album. Still, I have faith that they can pull it off. And I agree wholeheartedly with Stefan; an inspired 2009 release is definately better than an uninspired 2008 release.