Most anticipated - 2008

The prior two albums have just as heavy moments, such as mikes part on arriving somewhere, but the darkest heaviest moment is the end of strip the soul. In Absentia is their darkest album so i'd go with that or fear is a really catchy accessible solid album, and a great way to start. so either one really. Then get all from at least stupid dream on. ; p

I think you are a liar. :mad:

No but seriously. I know IA might be their most popular, but going by the votes on the PT-forum, is that really reliable in this case? Arent most PT fans coming from the softer side of the music-universe? I came from the other side and could not get into either IA nor Deadwing, FoaBP got me hooked.
Looks like Season likes Katatonia and Anathema, from that perspective i would recommend FoaBP first.

If you're looking for Porcupine Tree on good acid try: The Sky Moves Sideways or Voyage 34.
Otherwise I'd say FOABP is a good starting point. They have been getting heavier as time goes on. Deadwing has some heavy moments and FOABP is even heavier.

I'd recommend their live album "Coma Divine" . It's absolutely stunning and probably my favorite live album of all time. No exaggeration. Great production, deep tracks from their early work that fail to get mentioned, it's a must have.

It's true they got heavier on in absentia, but the amount of heaviness is relatively comprable since. FoaBP has softer songs like my ashes, and sentimental so it still has DYNAMICS from softer to heavier, which is the most important thing about a cd(not just heaviness.) There's not one song on here that rises above the heaviness of the past two releases, and if you were looking for darker heavier moments then In Absentia goes to their most extremes at times. I don't know why this should be a subject because this is just a small aspect of what makes the music good. I think FoaBP is a great release because it has the best production(their fullest yet is what I think people mean to say) the songs are solid, and the most progressive(since older records) longer songs without feeling drawn out, very catchy(in-fact I find this to be their catchiest release yet), and it's still a very dark album. But I think a fan of katatonia, and anathema will most certainly like In Absentia the best. So I'd say go with In Absentia then FoaBP.

^ Well said.
I say try ANY of their albums and you will not be disappointed. Initially it's hard to get people into PT if they try to compare them to other bands. Personally I'd say they are the most innovative band I've ever heard. I can't name another band that incorporates 70's Prog, Techno, Metal, Jazz, and Rock so effortlessly.

I can't name another band that incorporates 70's Prog, Techno, Metal, Jazz, and Rock so effortlessly.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?

I think i am the only one who cant really get in to PT..
Deadwing was ok, and tehy have a few good songs other than that (sound of muzak is awesome) but mostly... they are good, but still bore me.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?

I think i am the only one who cant really get in to PT..
Don't worry, I can't either. In Absentia has a few songs, in fact one song in particular I really like, but other than that, meh. (and I do like SGM too).

It's true they got heavier on in absentia, but the amount of heaviness is relatively comprable since. FoaBP has softer songs like my ashes, and sentimental so it still has DYNAMICS from softer to heavier, which is the most important thing about a cd(not just heaviness.) There's not one song on here that rises above the heaviness of the past two releases, and if you were looking for darker heavier moments then In Absentia goes to their most extremes at times. I don't know why this should be a subject because this is just a small aspect of what makes the music good. I think FoaBP is a great release because it has the best production(their fullest yet is what I think people mean to say) the songs are solid, and the most progressive(since older records) longer songs without feeling drawn out, very catchy(in-fact I find this to be their catchiest release yet), and it's still a very dark album. But I think a fan of katatonia, and anathema will most certainly like In Absentia the best. So I'd say go with In Absentia then FoaBP.

This is almost the oposite of what i think. :lol:
I think IA is more dark and twisted, but not heavier.
The heavy parts in FoaBP is much heavier than any part on IA imo.
Dont you just love how tastes differ. :)

I don't really see how anything they've done is heavier then the slow grinding end of strip the soul, but to each his own.