Katatonia - Viva Emptiness

Gronke

Salt Sill
Oct 18, 2002
Sverige
I got a promo-sampler ep *phew* of Katatonia's "Viva Emptiness" album containing;

1. Ghost of the Sun
2. Criminals
3. Evidence

I must say it was quite different from their other releases, my spontaneous comment was "Linkin Park goes doom". Okay, it's not NU-metal, don't worry (if you now do), but it still has the same kind of catchy melodies and strong choruses as earlier mentioned band (and others), but a degree (several) darker.
:devil:
One thing that kind of annoyed me is Jonas Renske's attempt to "sound american" :Smokin: when his swedish accent shines through so clear. Oh well... I just hope that this "misstake" won't be repeated in a larger scale in the future. :err:

My favorite track is definitely "Ghost of the Sun" so far. On the track "Evidance" Renske sound quite a lot like a certain J. Hetfield in the chorus. I think you'd have the same view hearing it.

What are your views? :confused: I feel positive.

/ H

So you're jumping from forum to forum posting this same post, eh? :err: Anyways, I checked the link someone posted in Katatonia-forum and the songs sound very promising. Seems quite heavy after the last album :headbang: Can't say much else since I listened to 'em only twice (the next time I'll listen to them from the full-lenght)... I didn't get the linkin park -connection tho :confused:

Good stuff! :)

Yes, you are right mr. Santana! :loco: (It's such a crime)

The Linkin Park connection wasn't meant to be anything negative, actually it was a reference to their catchy and strong choruses. :dopey:

Katatonia has the same pattern when writing songs now as before, no surprises, but still nice stuff! :)

mr Santana, Kim Jong Il - what have you; all words of respect! :worship: (hehe)

Actually I never considered Katatonia's music to be aspecially "hard" to get into. Quite straight and direct music / lyrics. It's not Karlheinz Stockhausen or anything like that, even though I'm sure that those guys saw their helicopters.

It feels very promising though.

Have you btw thought about that the Katatonia-song "Sulfur"'s intro sounds a lot like "Scarborough Fair"?! :err:

After listening to the songs 4 times each I'm beginning to get into them. I agree on the fact they have some kind of 'NU' feeling , catchy choruses and melodies and the global sound , especially the guitar sound.
Don't worry people, it's still Katatonia, it has a dark and morose atmosphere.
My favourite thus far is Evidence , tho Ghost of the Sun is excellent with its double bass drumming and the yelling !
:headbang: :lol:

i will wait for the album dammit Although those songs are asking to be dowloaded, but I'll be BRAVE! :mad:

Mariner: Just get 'em!!! :D

Honor the band by buying the album later... that's fair enough, ain't it?! :confused:

couldn't stand the awful vocals on the last album (the only one i've heard), so i'll probably not like the new one either. also, there's something about the style of the songs that bugs me, hard to explain it; something about the sound, tempo and structure that i hate, like it's not the music that carries the songs forward, but the momentum. ..i suppose that doesn't make any sense. ah well..