Katatonia???

Repetitive thread, I know, but if a newcomer wanted a dose of the traditional Katatonia sound then I recommend either 'Brave Murder Day' or 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down'.

I think it's unfair to recommend 'The Great Cold Distance' for a first time listener, because really, it's quite different to their earlier works.

I guess everyone has a different taste. Check out my band Rainshadow for my homage (of sorts) to 'Tonight's Decision'/'Last Fair Deal' era Katatonia!

well, maybe he would be more into the newer material and does he need to gain an 'open mind' for the older stuff, by working his way down.
could also be the other way around...

I'd go for Reece's suggestion, Just check some random songs on the site and see what you like. Then buy it;)

I'd recommend either Dance of December Souls, Brave Murder Day, Discouraged Ones, Tonight's Decision, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, Viva Emptiness or The Great Cold Distance, but they're all good. =]

Once you've got those, don't forget the singles and EPs! Very important and great stuff on those.