Katatonia???

messakin

go forth and die
Sep 19, 2006
Valle Imperial, California
I've haven't heard much from katatonia. I've only heard one song and i didn't get the name of it. The song kinda sounded like tool on steroids and it caught my attn. For someone who wants to get into this band what album would be a good starting point?

I would either get last fair deal gone done, viva emptiness, the great cold distance first then tonight's decision and discouraged ones after those three.

start with last fair deal gone done album
then go with viva emptiness
if you like em, look for more :p

Get the Black Sessions box set. It will give you some idea of all the new era albums made before The Great Cold Distance. Or get TGCD and Black Sessions after that.

The song kinda sounded like tool on steroids

My guess would be that you heard Leaders from TGCD. Just has some kind of Tool feel to it. TGCD is prolly the album that sounds closest to Tool but I would also suggest Viva Emptiness. Of course, you can't go wrong with LFDGD...that work of art is truly amazing.

My guess would be that you heard Leaders from TGCD. Just has some kind of Tool feel to it. TGCD is prolly the album that sounds closest to Tool but I would also suggest Viva Emptiness. Of course, you can't go wrong with LFDGD...that work of art is truly amazing.

leaders is definitely the most toolish song they have

Get the Black Sessions box set. It will give you some idea of all the new era albums made before The Great Cold Distance. Or get TGCD and Black Sessions after that.

I would go with the actual albums instead but if you're not going to get all of 'em black sessions is actually the damn best collection i've ever seen. :headbang:

:headbang:
there are so many threads about this already...you can check yourself

Good advice!

I urge you to go to the website and listen to the songs there....it will give you an idea of what each alblum sounds like and you can then make an informed decision.....

Good advice!

Mudvayne and nothingace next to Death!?

:(

I listened to alot of nu metal for a while and those two bands are two of the ones i still like to this day. I've only been listening to real metal for a little over a year. I've listened to metallica and such but i was fairly suprised how good some of the old death metal bands really are. so far death is my favorite.

Repetitive thread, I know, but if a newcomer wanted a dose of the traditional Katatonia sound then I recommend either 'Brave Murder Day' or 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down'.

I think it's unfair to recommend 'The Great Cold Distance' for a first time listener, because really, it's quite different to their earlier works.

I guess everyone has a different taste. Check out my band Rainshadow for my homage (of sorts) to 'Tonight's Decision'/'Last Fair Deal' era Katatonia!

I listened to alot of nu metal for a while and those two bands are two of the ones i still like to this day. I've only been listening to real metal for a little over a year. I've listened to metallica and such but i was fairly suprised how good some of the old death metal bands really are. so far death is my favorite.
it's no biggy. cheers for getting into katatonia:kickass: