Keep it True 5 review

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
As Hawk is too busy now I take the task of doing a little review of the Keep it True weekend in Germany on november 5th. I tried to throw in some pics to make the review a little bit more enjoyable...Hawk took the train to the city of Valkenswaard (see pics now and at the end of WW2, with American soldiers in the streets) in Holland where I picked him up.

Valkenswaard.jpg
Valkenswaard-war.jpg

Then off the long drive. Normally a five houre trip, but we were a bit disappointed about the German "Autobahn". Full of traffic jams, rain and there seemed to be works everywhere. So it took us maybe 7 houre or so to get at the hotel. Luckely I have a GPS system in the car, otherwise we probably never would have found the hotel. The city was called Tauberbischofsheim - Hochhausen, I would like to hear americans pronounce that :D

resize_345x276.jpg

Our Hotel called "Landhotel am Mühlenwörth". Very nice hotel; clean, friendly people, nice breakfast...

resize_250x186.jpg

We left at 9.30 AM or so to the hall were the concert was and enjoyed our trip there. Now we actually could see the great landscape !! at 10.00 or so we arrived at the Tauber Franken Hall.

Hall.jpg

We were among the first to get in and immediatly noticed a very large metal market. About all the oldschool stuff you can imagine on vinyl or CD was for sale here.

14.jpg

So, off went the music. First off was Ignitor. They had the bad job of pulling of the festival but did a good job. The female vocalist of this Texan band was very good. Not too often we see two female members in an oldschool metal band !! Here's a pic of the guitar player:

1628.jpg

After them came Forsaken, a Greek doom-metal band that wasn't our cup of tea I guess (Fang did like 'm I believe)...

1623.jpg

Well, to be honoust, we didn't take too much notice of the next bands, we disappeared into the metal market and went out hunting for Fang and his Agent Steel shirt (or sweater, whatever :). Other bands that played while we were hanging around were Stormwarrior, Skullview, Intruder (great singer!)... Finally Fang found us and here it comes guys ; FANG UNMASKED !! (LtoR Fang, Carnut, Hawk)
Okay, pretty poor (in a way we are pretty static here) pic I guess but you'll have to do with it! Notice Hawks beer belly and his great old jeans-jacket with patches!

FraBelNed.jpg

We messed up the houres a bit and took off for dinner during the slough Feg gig. I would like have to seen them as everyone seems to be talking about this band 'The Weird Lord Slough Feg"...Well, I DL'ed some stuff of them and wasn't impressed so...off finding a restaurant in the neighbourhood !! Wasn't that easy and we ended up finding a huge place to strengthen our inner selve..

home.jpg

We kinda went a bit undercover first to check prices for food in this very "chique" restaurant. But for 15$ each we had a king size "Wiener-schnitzel" , french fries and a beer !! For about an houre or so we enjoyed the food and talking to Fang, who (as we expected) is a great guy !! How we ended up talking about Indian wars I don't know, but we left off to the KIT festival again.

Next up was Ruffians, they put up a very proffessional show, kinda more like commercial based Heavy Metal. Very good musicians and vocals, but no way in comparison to what was following... JAG PANZER !! They did a special "Ample Destruction" gig with mostly old songs of that album. I only can say that they absolutely rule live and you can argue weather or not the vocalist Harry Conklin is concidered the best in classic Heavy Metal, but he god damned has a reach I never heard in another live band !! Jag Panzer is very popular in Germany and hundreds of headbangers did the job, Hawk included !!
Playlist;
Fate's Triumph
Iron Eagle
King At A Price
Black
Take To The Sky
Legion Immortal
Feast & Famine
Battle Zones
Generally Hostile
Licence To Kill
Warfare
Symphony Of Terror
The Crucifix

05.jpg

Than Raven entered the stage, short after Jag Panzer , so people were still kind of rebreathing after that gig. But already at the first song all went towards the stage again, attracted by the very powerful "athletic rock" of the guys. They made a great selection of old songs (yep , KIT is a real "oldschool" festival overall)... It was one of Raven's first gigs after guitar player Mark had a very heavy accident years ago. They are back in their old doings; funny, energetic, and best off all; GREAT MUSIC. Raven is back, don't miss to see them live guys !! Rock untill you drop !!!!!
playlist;
Seven Shades
Live At The Inferno
All For One
Gimme A Break
Hell Patrol
Rock Until You Drop
Guitar Solo
Speed Of The Reflex
Mind Over Metal
Faster Than The Speed Of Light
The King
The Inquisitor
On & On
Don't Need Your Money
Break The Chain (inkl. Cover-Medley)

john.jpg

Last band to play was Virgin Steele...They insisted on using their own soundman and what a mistake. Worst sound I ever heard live I guess, when are some guys gonna understand that volume isn't the most important thing. So we left after 3 songs or so, back for a good sleep after such a long day...
Sunday morning we left towards Holland again, now there was much less traffic and we could enjoy some real autobahn driving, we did a little while 130 MPH legally there :D So the way back was 2 houres shorter...cool !!
Well, I guess we also have to visit the next KIT as EXCITER is co-headlining there with RIOT...We'll see. Anyway, was a great weekend and we had a blast meeting Fang there !!!

back2.jpg

KIT is a true oldschool festival, the amount of patches and oldschool T-shirts and people is jaw-dropping: here some pics I picked of the internet that well have could been taken in the 80's:

12.jpg

13.jpg

Ignitor.jpg

1678.jpg

843-14579.jpg

Last but not least; take a look at this promo video, 80's atmosphere ALL OVER !!!
http://www.keep-it-true.de/videos/kit.wmv

Awesome Carnut, I had a blast too :)
Alcooliques03.gif

A few more words :

FORSAKEN : yup I like their Doom Metal in the lines of Candlemass (they played a Black Sabbath cover btw), but I think they can do better on stage, one can see they don't play live very often.

Same for SKULLVIEW, in a more traditional US Metal style. Cool show nevertheless, with a smashed guitar in the end :lol:

STORMWARIORR did a good concert as usual, killer German speed metal in the pure old school way.

RUFFIANS had the best sound of the festival, I wish VIRGIN STEELE had the same... :erk:

Anyway, JAG PANZER and RAVEN ruled the day! :headbang:

Fangface said:
Same for SKULLVIEW, in a more traditional US Metal style. Cool show nevertheless, with a smashed guitar in the end :lol:

Oh yeah, that guy was really pissed at his guitar I believe, he had some problems during the gig and the guitar didn't survive :headbang:
I hadn't too much attention for all the earlier acts simply becouse I didn't know Ignitor, Skullview, etc...But none of the bands were bad, time to check some out on CD...

carnut said:

She looks like being into KISS a lot :lol:
Finally Fang found us and here it comes guys ; FANG UNMASKED !! (LtoR Fang, Carnut, Hawk)

FraBelNed.jpg

Awsome pic, Fang you look...a bit conventional I guess :D CN that Zoetrope shirt rules, I'm carrying them for my workout today :headbang:, Hawk...you look just like me ;)

Really cool review! I like how you put the pictures in there -- they're worth a thousand words apiece. :D Nice to see Fang's mug. :cool: 130 MPH!!?! I'm jealous. That would be fun.

Awesome review! sounds like a grand time was had by all! the pic of you three is the best! Great to see faces to put with the names! I like the pic of the church now and in the 40's, still cobblestone...cool! By the pics it looks like KIT id definatley an old school concert, sort of : 'Let's do the time warp agaaaaaaaaaain!" :tickled:

Great review Carnut! Looks like a good time was had by all. Some of those pictures do look like they were taken 20 years ago. Those are some real old school metalheads represented there!:headbang: