Keeping the console just to wow the customers?

KHE

Mar 5, 2009
switzerland
I had this opportunity to take over a small 2 room studio two years ago. The previous owner left nearly all gear there for free use. This includes a big digital console, a Tascam DM4800.

It’s an awesome piece of gear, but I really don’t use it that much. It even limits my workflow in some cases. And its big footprint has lots of acoustical disadvantages (early reflections). I could very well live without it from a technical standpoint. Honestly, I would like to remove it from the studio.

But it gives the customers that wow-impression once they walk into the control room. Lots of moving faders & knobs, big meter-bridge… they really like it and it seems they feel better than only a desk with pc & interface/pres…

Would you keep such a digital console when its only reason is to wow the customers? Luxus-problems I know!

KHE-DM4800_small.jpg

That's ultimately your call man.

I understand that it should be the outcome of the mix that wow's the clients but at the same time I can understand how fancy gear can help.

I have been thinking about getting a console mostly for the purpose of 'wowing' potential clients for years, haha. A console is one of those things that's kind of burned into most folks mind as being something that defines a 'recording studio'.

unfortunately I'd say keep it. I actually went to a studio the other day to help an engineer with some pro tools issues and they had this same desk even though they only ever recorded one vocal track at a time ever. While I was in there a few people were looking round and commented on the desk with no idea of what it actually did or if it was any good.

If it's really affecting your acoustics or workflow that much then get rid but otherwise I think the draw of attracting clients is worth it. Maybe there could be ways of integrating it into your workflow more?

I definitely think that it can be used as a control surface as well, not entirely sure though. I have an 8 channel M-Audio control surface and that definitely improved my workflow a lot

But with a spec of doubt, keep it. It's definitely a weird psychological thing but musicians will absolutely be convinced faster when you have a console in your studio.

And if that doesn't do the trick, the vegas mode always helps to impress :p

Keep it man.

Gear makes musicians go crazy, every musician loves gear and when they see a fancy center piece it attracts them more.

Even if one guy has amazing gear but crap mixes (there's a studio in my area that is exactly this) and other people who have little gear but produce amazing mixes, the guy with the amazing gear will get the initial clients first to the ignorant musician (which unfortunately, most tend to be!) just because it looks more professional.

This is just my opinion, but having lots of outboard gear is half the battle in attracting people to record with you.

Can't you maybe move the monitors towards you, lean back a bit more and get rid of the problem? From the pic it looks like the space is tight..

Definitely keep it if it's attracting costumers.

My console MAKES my studio. Yea, I use it in tracking and mixing but still, imagine my room without it? And it instantly puts you in another league to have a nice looking, WORKING one.
10985044_702490239884346_5582094301906870384_n.jpg

Some of the shit I just read made my head hurt.

I guess I'll be the odd man out here, and drop a harsh sounding truth-bomb...

If you're relying expensive gear for the sole purpose of "wowing clients" then you're doing it wrong.

Sell the board, then use the money (and room) for something more useful.
like hookers and coke

they should be more impressed to know your mixes don't come from that board if the mix is good.

this is 2015 lol sell that shit

Some of the shit I just read made my head hurt.

I guess I'll be the odd man out here, and drop a harsh sounding truth-bomb...

If you're relying expensive gear for the sole purpose of "wowing clients" then you're doing it wrong.

Sell the board, then use the money (and room) for something more useful.
like hookers and coke

I appreciate what you're saying but it depends on the market.

When digital video started to pick up I knew a guy who upgraded all of his cameras to new and far superior digital HD models but he actually started losing bids because clients saw the small cameras and said things like, "the other guys had more professional cameras" (because they were older and bigger).

It's a long-standing prejudice and it takes time for perceptions to change. I know my accountant can do my taxes wearing whatever he wanted to but if I went to his office and he was in sweatpants instead of a suit it would certainly make me think twice.

If the console is impressing people I say let it be. Possibly put it on some sort of roller or something so you could push it further back when clients aren't around? I don't know.

I get what Brian is saying and in a metal world, I've never met anyone that really cared about a board. My demographic is more garage rock, country, bluegrass, and the likes. All of those styles pay me MORE to use analog, especially when mixing happens, and many rent to mix on it themselves. Metal guys though, don't even take a second look.

I get what Brian is saying and in a metal world, I've never met anyone that really cared about a board. My demographic is more garage rock, country, bluegrass, and the likes. All of those styles pay me MORE to use analog, especially when mixing happens, and many rent to mix on it themselves. Metal guys though, don't even take a second look.

Ahh you make a good point. Other genres are a bit different I guess (which I wouldn't know, since I only do metal).

I still think it's a bit extreme in the case of the OP, where his console is actually in the way.

Ahh you make a good point. Other genres are a bit different I guess (which I wouldn't know, since I only do metal).

I still think it's a bit extreme in the case of the OP, where his console is actually in the way.

True dat. WHAT console it is matters too if you are going down that path. If it's taking up room, you don't want it to be an antiquated digital board or some Mackie. Space is precious, fill it with someone good!

Yup. The wow factor is a very real thing, at least in my experiance. Definitely leave it.

Keep the console.
Without a console people just see some dude with a computer rather than a studio IME.