Kemper Profiling Amp

My first try at re-amping. I used JeffTD's Rose of Sharyn DI files with my Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier Kemper profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody have any favorites profiles as far as clean or slightly driven amps go?

Anybody have any favorites profiles as far as clean or slightly driven amps go?
for clean i really dig TAF-Hello 1960z, which was part of a free TAF RigPacks
and for semi clean i adore the Carol-Ann Clean+ Profile,
and the DR-Z Clean+ is very nice too same as the JTM Clean, again from the Amp Factory

Has anybody come across any (let alone any good) profiles done with 2+ cabs or amps? I don't think I've seen any and I spent most of today profiling, did a few with 2 cabs running and will be doing a couple with 2 amps running.

I haven't seen any multi-amp profiles in my travels - neither rig exchange nor commercial ones.

The classic Mesa/5150 combo all wrapped up in one profile would be interesting, though...

Has anybody come across any (let alone any good) profiles done with 2+ cabs or amps? I don't think I've seen any and I spent most of today profiling, did a few with 2 cabs running and will be doing a couple with 2 amps running.

I used to have a profile that was a blend of a Mark V and a Dual Recto - I think they were miced and run through a mixer before hitting the Kemper. I didn't dig the sound personally, but thats just my taste in gain. I cannot remember the exact name sorry but it should be on the rig exchange - I will try to dig it out

EDIT: Found them! there are 4 profiles, if you search: STREETNOISE STUDIOS on the Kemper rig exchange they will come up.

So combining the Mark 4 with anything sounded like dogshit for some reason. I have some really cool 5153+Recto profiles now though, considering sharing one of them. We'll see! I'll be uploading some of the single-amp profiles for sure.

So combining the Mark 4 with anything sounded like dogshit for some reason. I have some really cool 5153+Recto profiles now though, considering sharing one of them. We'll see! I'll be uploading some of the single-amp profiles for sure.

Looking forward for those. Meanwhile Kemper is taking their fucking sweet time releasing Lasse's pack, wtf....

My first try at re-amping. I used JeffTD's Rose of Sharyn DI files with my Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier Kemper profile.

Cool profile. Did you upload it to the rig exchange?

Anyone knows when Lasse Lammert is going to release his pack? His videos are awesome, also check the ola's last axe fx video, it would be cool that someone with a kemper profile them.

^ they probably will. Did the same for periphery presets. I gave them a shot but didnt like them much personally. I guess there are many factors such ad the guitar the playin etc; didnt work for me. Havent listened to Ola's yet though ill do that soon

My Kemper Pack :) Took me quit some time to make. There are some signature tones in there.

My Kemper Pack :) Took me quit some time to make. There are some signature tones in there.

Some good tones there, good work!

Although I don't own a Kemper, it's definitely on the shopping list, especially after hearing some of the profile packs like that.

I made an attempt of getting close to the Surtur Rising tone from Amon Amarth by just using the eq from the Kemper. Close? I couldn't dial out the top end fizz properly since there's no low pass on the KPA.

but there is:
Use the Low Pass Wah with Pedal set to 'off' and Peak to 0,
0 stereo image (slightly different cutoff frequencies left and right)
post stack.

I'm having some trouble with profiling and I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on how to improve.

My main issue is that the low-end doesn't sound right at all. The Kemper sounds high-passed and palm mutes don't translate well. I also noticed that right after profiling, the Kemper profile is noticably quieter than the reference amp signal. After refining, they are closer in level but during refining I can basically hear the mids getting louder but the low-end seems to stay put.

I made a few samples where I'm switching back and forth - Kemper first, then reference - to show what I mean (tuned in drop C so I could play with one hand - I normally play in D). First up is my JCM800 -> Mesa cab -> single SM57. As you will notice, right after profiling the difference is quite big between the Kemper and the reference. After refining it's much closer, but pay attention to the low-end:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8687414/Kempertest/JCM800_pre-refine.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8687414/Kempertest/JCM800_post-refine.wav

Next is my Orange Dual Terror, and here is where I really can't get it to work properly. Right after profiling, the difference in level is very noticable. After refining, again it's much closer but the low-end is just so much weaker. It also breaks up in a very different way, kind of "uniform" vs "non-linear" in lack of a better description.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8687414/Kempertest/Orange_pre-refine.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8687414/Kempertest/Orange_post-refine.wav

I've tried a few things already. Tried with an external mic-pre, tried with mic directly into the Kemper. Same result. Tried changing a few parameters in the "Amplifier" section of the stack to make it break up better but couldn't get it closer. Tried adding some bass in the tone stack but it's not the same; the palm mutes don't react the same either way.

Any tips on what more I can try to get closer? Especially with the Orange amp - or is that one just really difficult to profile?

I once read CK saying that playing dissonant chords help a lot in refining as it helps to emphasize certain tonal aspects about the amp. Try using plain strings too.