Kerry King on Maiden....

Tough As Steel

a.k.a. Aussie Dave
Feb 12, 2002
Canberra
Visit site
"I like MAIDEN, and we did some of the shows when [vocalist] Bruce [Dickinson] came back with three guitar players, and it was the most Spinal Tap thing I ever saw in my life. . .They've got three guitar players onstage and you can't hear any of them until one does a lead. There's something seriously wrong with that. I mean, you only need two, for one thing. You've got [guitarists] Dave [Murray] and Adrian [Smith] up there — what the hell's Jannick [Gers] doing up there?. . . I mean, I was baffled. And when I saw them play, it was [drummer] Nicko [McBrain], fucking Bruce, and [bassist] Steve [Harris], and that was all you heard. And I was right at the front of the house. (laughs) It wasn't like I was sitting off to the side anywhere."

I don't see the point of three guitarists myself. The only time they've needed them live in the past was when they played "Revelations", and even then it didn't make much sense.

Still, "Brave New World" would have been a much worse CD without Janick there writing some of the best songs.

Oh yeah, I am starting to dig Janick's contributions and i think he co-wrote some gems on BNW.

But i do agree, that live, the guitars can get a bit muddled. I'd hate to be their sound engineer for live shows...is it still Doug Hall?

Maybe they should rotate the guitarists? ie Dave & H on 80's songs, Dave & Jan on 90's, and all three of em on the new stuff.

It'll never happen though. I still think RiR sounds bloody good, and would've topped LAD if the guitars were clearer.

i can see Blind Guardian doing it for there set , still i don't think they could do it right lol ...
i think he's there to till in on rythem while they do there harmony shit lol .....
i don't see a big poing of it anyway ...... :rolleyes:
maybe you have to hear it from the back of the house to appreciate it .....
Get them to come here and then we can give you an honest opinion lol ...

Oh well, at least he is honest :D

On IN FLAMES:
"Um, they're all right…They've done a random show or two with us in Europe the past couple years. I guess musically they're pretty happening, but not that entertaining to watch for me. I need to be entertained, you know, anybody can play fucking guitar."

On ARCH ENEMY:
"To me, it's Euro-metal, you know? It might be the next thing, a lot of people say it is, but I'm into more aggression."

On MESHUGGAH:
"MESHUGGAH is a really good band, they're just a little too out there for me, you know? (laughs) It's just like, what the fuck are these guys doing?"

On DOWN:
"DOWN's a little tired for me, you know, I'm not a stoner, so. . . To me, that's killer fucking stoner swamp music, but I've heard SUPERJOINT RITUAL, and I like that better, because it's more PANTERA-like."

On PANTERA:
"They've got 'it.' I don't know what 'it' is, but they have it. They're a little more bluesy and they definitely have the down south vibe, but 'Becoming' is probably one of the best songs ever written."

On HALFORD and JUDAS PRIEST:
"Well, HALFORD, to me, is more JUDAS PRIEST than JUDAS PRIEST itself. Cause I heard 'Resurrection' and I'm like, 'That's the best JUDAS PRIEST song I've heard in ten years!' [As for JUDAS PRIEST] to me, they're failing miserably. And I hate to see them fail, because they're my own heroes, but the songwriting on these last two records, to me, just sucked a big dick."

I saw them live while on tour for BNW and I also own the RIR DVD and I have to say the 3 guitar things sounds damn good. I've read too many posts from people on this board that complain about the 3 guitars sounding muddled or playing the same thing 90% of the time, and all I have to say is you people are either 1.) not musicians, or 2.) you don't listen closely enough. As far as all the older songs originally containing 2 guitars, they have added extra harmonies in several places. As far as 3 guitar songs from Brave New World, I can't believe none of you can actually hear all that is at hand. Get yourself a good pair of headphones and check that album out in its entirety. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure you've all heard it enough already. But pay attention this time!!!

Originally posted by Roc
I saw them live while on tour for BNW and I also own the RIR DVD and I have to say the 3 guitar things sounds damn good. I've read too many posts from people on this board that complain about the 3 guitars sounding muddled or playing the same thing 90% of the time, and all I have to say is you people are either 1.) not musicians, or 2.) you don't listen closely enough. As far as all the older songs originally containing 2 guitars, they have added extra harmonies in several places. As far as 3 guitar songs from Brave New World, I can't believe none of you can actually hear all that is at hand. Get yourself a good pair of headphones and check that album out in its entirety. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure you've all heard it enough already. But pay attention this time!!!

:err:

i got the impression from Kerry that all he listened to was himself and Slayer. As far as i'm concerned, all 3 guitarists in Maiden could play circles round Kerry and Kerry knows it.

As for Maiden's sound; i think it's great. I think that the 3 guitarists on stage are amazing, and i think that there IS enough guitar there. I think that Rock In Rio is the best live CD Maiden have done, and yes i meant BETTER than Live After Death (Bruce's voice holds together right to the end of the gig). I think the level of the guitars is great too. There are 3 guitarists i nthe band, thatdoesn't mean that the gig is about the 3 guitarists with a vocalist, drummer and bassist in support.

When some says "Kerry, what do you think of Iron Maiden/In Flames/whoever" should he just bullshit and lie or say what he thinks? Id rather he said what he thought than go "Oh yeah, they are great and have always been great, I mean, its Iron Maiden". If he said Iced Earth sucked Id disagree, but it doesnt really matter what he thinks when I enjoy it, does it? :)

Steve Vai can play circles around the guitarists in Iron Maiden, but what does that mean? :)

(Theres no way theres enough guitar being used, its all well and good to "play for the song" but dont have 3 guitars and go out of your way to make it sound like 2, that seems rather pointless to me, but im sure we have all gone over this before :) )

"Steve Vai can play circles around the guitarists in Iron Maiden, but what does that mean?"

Steve Vai can play leads well, but he couldn't write a good song to save his life. He's a very mediocre song writer.

"(Theres no way theres enough guitar being used, its all well and good to "play for the song" but dont have 3 guitars and go out of your way to make it sound like 2, that seems rather pointless to me"

There's plenty of guitar being utilized and they do not go out of their way to make it sound like two. I don't know what kind of stereo set up you're listening to it on, but it sounds fine on my home system. And like I stated previously, it sounded great live with the 3 guitars mixed beautifully. As far as the new material goes all 3 guitars are doing 3 totally different parts the majority of the time. It boggles my mind that you can't hear that. Once again, I say listen closer.

Slayer and Maiden are on completely opposite sides of the metal spectrum, your comment does not hold water.

spawn: Like i said, the band is Iron Maiden, it's not 3 guitarists with a vocalist, drummer and bassist. Iron Maiden have ALWAYS had a large bass sound, you forgotten Iron Maiden and Killers already?! Just because the sound isn't as raw as it used to be doesn't stop the fact that if you turn up the guitars too much you won't hear the rest of the band. And as Roc said, LISTEN to the songs on BNW. the harmonies? all of them? They use the three guitars really well, and they use them very subtley.

As for Vai being better than the Maiden guitairsts? Techincally, he is amazing, but he's too techincal, imo. Theres no emotion there, and so i think that the 3 Maiden guitarists are better guitarists than Vai. Being a guitarist is not just about being able to play 1000 notes a minute, or whatever. it's about making music. music has emotion.

Originally posted by Roc
Slayer and Maiden are on completely opposite sides of the metal spectrum, your comment does not hold water.

I think this comment makes no sense. Just because Maiden and Slayer are in different "sub-genres" doesn't make ones song writing skill different from the other. I'm with Spawny, Slayer (as a whole), write just as good songs as Maiden (as a whole).

Well Spawny brought Vai out of the fucking woodwork as someone who's as good of a guitarist as the 3 Maiden guys. I agreed, but had to point out that the guy cannot write good songs. Then Spawny comes back with the Kerry King comment, and to this I say so what??? I didn't say I don't appreciate King's writing. All 4 guitarists write good songs, so what?? That's my point to begin with, just because you can play a guitar (Vai) doesn't mean you should be allowed to get on a stage with one. Technically, King is NOT a better player than any of the Maiden guys, but he USE TO be able to write just as good of a song. Not anymore. God Hates Us All was not only one of the 5 worst albums to be released in 2001, but other than the punk cover pile of garbage, it is their worst effort, period!!! Of course, this is all my opinion, which smells just as foul as everyone else's.

I think we're all arguing the same thing, somehow.

Spawny says that although Vai can play rings around Maiden (technically), it means no more than the point that Maiden can play rings around King.

And don't get us wrong Roc, we're not disagreeing with you just for the sake of it, most of us here hate you for this comment:

Originally posted by Roc
I saw them live while on tour for BNW

That probably goes for Slash, as well.

(See Mark's Maiden Prediction thread for details as to why...)

( ;) , by the way. None of us really hate you. It's more of an intense dislike....)

If anyone should be hated here it's Mark. Not only did he work for the band (sort of), but he didn't like it! How rude is that?? And he got free tickets to their Birmingham gig and got a backstage pass and stuff. It's just not on!