The keyboard and you ?

• I like that !

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Not for me !

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Can you repeat the question ?

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Children of Bodom's keyboardist is a fuckin genius. Not all keyboardists have to keep it atmospheric. I heard before from a person at Ultimate Metal saying Janne inspires him as a guitarist (and Janne is a Keyboardist for CoB) and that's tellin ya something. He's DAMN good. Oh well, just my opinion... and btw Dimmu Borgir DOES actually use a full real piano in Progenies, jsut watch the vid. he has it custom made to look absolutely BITCHIN ;) but it is a real piano.

I like Dream Theater's keyboards.

I like Fear Factory's keyboards.

I like Nightwish's keyboards.

I like Faith No More's keyboards.

I don't like Van Halen's keyboards/synths/noisy things.

I don't like Children Of Bodom's keyboards.

CoB's keyboards are supreme. Where would they be without them? Probably just another power metal band. Actually, Kalmah's keyboards are a lot more tasteful, and are used in moderation :Spin:

I can't stand Bal Sagoth, they sound abit too cheesy for my tastes.

Keyboards are good when used in moderation, I love some, and I mean some fast keyboards like COB, Symphony X and when used in less wanky songs, Dream Theater. I also like the atmospheric keyboards from Evergrey, Dark Tranquility, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir etc.

But what I can't really stand about keyboards are it's synth sounds....*shudders* Makes a band sound so cheesy. I even sometimes cringe when listening to Bodom or Symphony X

AjDeath said:
Shit, you hit it right on the head, I never thought of it that way before, but it makes sense. I very much enjoy classical music, especially solo piano pieces, but when you put something like that in a metal song it is just one big distraction. When it comes down to it, these bands are splitting up the money more than they should.

Question, I know I am going to get flamed for this, but when did keyboards become "metal?" These douches that wear cloaks on stage and can't move around because they play a stationary instrument did not show up until the eighties...the eighties are over. Oh well, what do I know? These are just my opinions.
What about those keyboards that you wear like a guitar? Or when they put it on a flexible stand and they can throw it around a bit and still play?

Keyboards are an old and venerable feature of metal. Sabbath were using them even before Ozzy Osbourne left. "Pure metal" uses any instruments it wants to as long as two of them are the lead and bass guitar. This "stripped down = real metal" idea is basically untrue; a caricature that has infected the genuine metal scene through the mass-culture feedback loop.

lord667 said:
Keyboards are an old and venerable feature of metal. Sabbath were using them even before Ozzy Osbourne left. "Pure metal" uses any instruments it wants to as long as two of them are the lead and bass guitar. This "stripped down = real metal" idea is basically untrue; a caricature that has infected the genuine metal scene through the mass-culture feedback loop.
HELL YEA

Keyboards in metal suck IMO, does that mean there shouldn't be keyboards in metal? No, I am just stating my opinion.

Bill Evans, Beethoven, Chopin, and Rachmaninov are some of my biggest influences, it is only when you put keyboards as a marquee instrument in metal that that it annoys the piss out of me, and I cannot help but wonder how incredible these keyboard parts would sound on a guitar.

Keyboards, if used correctly, can make metal just that much better, IMO. It's probably why I like Symphony X and Threshold as much as I do.

However, when a band *coughDTcough* uses keyboards ridiculously, it just ruins things, no matter how talented the player *coughJordancough* is. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

lord667 said:
You said "when did keyboards become metal?" - my answer is "at the beginning."
Yes, I read that already, my question for you is what is your fav Sabbath album, mine would have to be Black Sabbath.

Listen, I just do not like keuboards, that's it, there is no need of further discussion until someone else asks me why, then I will tell them the same thing, I just don't like them, but will listen to them if used in moderation.

Keyboards work well with metal- but only to accentuate- never should they be the lead instrument used as if they were a guitar. The guitar solo and metal go hand to hand- the keyboard solo needs to stand totally by itself- never should a fucker like Rudess play a keyboard solo that totally engulfs the rest of the music.

I think Yngwie and Jens Johansen started the whole keyboard as a major instrument trend- with all those guitar keyboard tradeoffs.

And those Amorphis Hammond Organs sound wonderful with their music- thats keyboard done right- and tastefully.

My favourite Sabbath album is one of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Volume 4. I like the debut a lot, but if I list my absolute favourite Sabbath songs, they mostly come from the later Ozzy and also from the Dio albums.