Keyboards

squeemu

Feb 24, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
Okay, don't flame, I just have a question. Opeth is probably in my top five bands of all time right now. I think they are a nearly perfect band. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion is on whether or not the band should have used keyboards on previous albums. Is there anyone else out there who thinks they would have added to making the albums even closer to perfection?

Well, most people will say that one or more of Opeth's albums requires no adjusting whatsoever (for me it is Morningrise). I think that, layerwise, My Arms, Your Hearse is the weakest. It doesn't have as much guitar harmonies as the other albums, and it has almost inaudible bass in most of the songs. This album probably would have benefitted the most from keyboard additions in my opinion. That's not to say that it is not as good as the others, but I get a desire to hear something else more quickly with this album than with the others. I think keyboards could have been added to it in such a way that the musical storyline remained unscathed. The only other one I can think of that might have benefitted is Orchid, but that one would need some tidying up structurally before that would be possible. Blackwater Park and Morningrise, I think, would probably benefit the least from keyboards, since Morningrise has all the layers it needs already, and Blackwater Park has a great amount of atmosphere. For both, keyboards would just make the music sound cluttered.

Originally posted by TyrantOfFlames
Well, most people will say that one or more of Opeth's albums requires no adjusting whatsoever (for me it is Morningrise). I think that, layerwise, My Arms, Your Hearse is the weakest. It doesn't have as much guitar harmonies as the other albums, and it has almost inaudible bass in most of the songs. This album probably would have benefitted the most from keyboard additions in my opinion. That's not to say that it is not as good as the others, but I get a desire to hear something else more quickly with this album than with the others. I think keyboards could have been added to it in such a way that the musical storyline remained unscathed. The only other one I can think of that might have benefitted is Orchid, but that one would need some tidying up structurally before that would be possible. Blackwater Park and Morningrise, I think, would probably benefit the least from keyboards, since Morningrise has all the layers it needs already, and Blackwater Park has a great amount of atmosphere. For both, keyboards would just make the music sound cluttered.

What would you say about Still Life and Deliverance? No real opinion there?

Actually, in a way, I think that My Arms Your Hearse is incredibly atmospheric. I don't think Opeth need keyboards, in any of their albums. I think they might benefit from some more excellent piano parts though :)

Originally posted by The Master
What would you say about Still Life and Deliverance? No real opinion there?

Not really. Still Life is my least favorite and I haven't heard Deliverance enough yet to say what I think of it. I think Still Life would probably sound a bit strange with keys, though.

Nah...as Opeth said in an interview, adding more instruments is a (sometimes...only sometimes) superficial way of "enhancing" a band's sound. Mikael said that they figured the typical guitar-bass-drums format could still be explored and innovated extensively, and I think that they have done a superb job of doing just that.

I'm not saying they never will or never should have keys...in fact, I think it could be awesome. Of course, Damnation will have keys, but I'm referring to the death metal side of Opeth. I think it could be cool...but as for their past releases, I like what they've done. I'm not saying those albums are perfect, but I think keys wouldn't have worked for the material.

Still Life is far too organic and acoustic (not as in acoustic guitars) to ever have keyboards. I don't think keys would fit on any, but especially not this one.

Opeth does more than well enoug with the three standard instruments. Keys on Damnation will be nice though, as it's a different type of album.