Kinda OT: Prog v. Power Metal?

Prog= very range of bands, can be Black, Death, Classical Rock, Hard Rock, Thrash, Power, Heavy, etc. at the same time.

Power= A very narrow genre compared to Prog, classified by fast power chord guitar riffs, fast drumming and high pitched vocals (mostly)

Yngvai X said:
me. Its the stereotypical bands that make a genre boring, power metal or otherwise. The only times when stereotypical bands are good are when they do it *so well* that you can't help but like it (in the case of powermetal, Edguy and Dream Evil are good examples).
Dream Evil's so good at stereotypical power metal it should be illegal. :headbang:
But hey, I can't get around it, I LIKE the stereotypical power metal sound. Stereotypical bands don't necessarily make genres boring - they make it what it is. It's kind of hard to describe what I'm thinking here, but I guess I mean this: if every band in a genre was super-original, there wouldn't be much common ground to even define the genre in the first place.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Dream Evil's so good at stereotypical power metal it should be illegal. :headbang:
But hey, I can't get around it, I LIKE the stereotypical power metal sound. Stereotypical bands don't necessarily make genres boring - they make it what it is. It's kind of hard to describe what I'm thinking here, but I guess I mean this: if every band in a genre was super-original, there wouldn't be much common ground to even define the genre in the first place.

True, but after listening to powermetal for around 6 years now, I like to hear bands with a bit more deviation. My favorites right now are Rage and Blind Guardian, two bands that not only deviate from the typical "happy happy helloween" sound, but also have a much more mature melodic sense and songwriting ability than a lot of other powermetal bands.

Angra are a band that have the best of both worlds.

The inherent differences between progressive and power metal lie in the multiplicities and contingencies of the... you know what? Fuck this. SA-CRED POW-ER OF RAGING WINDS!!!!

TotenMitMacht said:
The inherent differences between progressive and power metal lie in the multiplicities and contingencies of the... you know what? Fuck this. SA-CRED POW-ER OF RAGING WINDS!!!!

Fill their souls, and the shaaadooww lord's heart!

Yngvai: I agree about Angra - I just finally checked them out not too long ago, and I hate myself for not doing it sooner.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Fill their souls, and the shaaadooww lord's heart!

Yngvai: I agree about Angra - I just finally checked them out not too long ago, and I hate myself for not doing it sooner.

yeah Angras an excelllent prog/power metal band, heh i thought the only metal bands they had in Brazil were Krisun and Sepultura.