when did you first get into prog/power metal?

I got in to general metal when I was like 5 years old, my mom had The Black Album in her cd player all the time. After that I got into regular top40/dance when I was 7, and that continued until I was like 14. No really. At that age I began to check out 'Ride The Lightning, Master Of puppets' etc.

After that a friend gave me a CD of 'Ozric Tentacles', an instrumental prog band. I had to duplicate the cd for his band. I pop in the cd at home and I love this band ever since.

I already knew about Dream Theater, but just the song 'Pull me under' because I had heard it on a late night metal show in MTV sometime. I liked the song, but the singer turned me off a bit so I never bothered to listen to it again. But then, a few months later, there was a talentshow at my school. I did also perform there with my own jazz/drum 'n bass band, and we were sitting in the backstage room with all the other acts. all of a sudden this guy comes up to our bass player, and gives him the 'Images & Words' cd. (it was a friend of his I think). Our bass player said: "thanks dude, next time I'll bring my Symphony X cd for you".

I remembered the name, downloaded Evolution and..

:OMG:

p.s. I downloaded it legally from Audiogalaxy, as Symphony X was a 'hosted artist'.

And after symphony X followed alot of other prog bands ofcourse.

Polyeidus and Force !0, where are you guys from? Charlotte for me. It is cool to find fellow Carolinians that are into SymX. I don't have too many friends that are into the music I listen to. Just two to be exact.

Are either of you going to see Symphony X in Atlanta if it happens?

I lived in Winston-Salem for a couple years. Nice place to visit, but I hated living there - no good concerts came through there at all. (Everybody that bothers to stop in NC goes to Raleigh or Charlotte, both of which are a wee bit too far without a car...)

nckissfan said:
Hey scanner313, have you heard FW A Pleasent Shade Of Grey? That is a real good cd by them. They have a great groove going on in that album. I remember when I first heard Sanctuary. They opened for Megadeth, I was hooked, went and got it that next day, and have been a fan of Sanctuary/Nevermore since.

I haven't heard "A Pleasant Shade Of Grey", although I've wanted to. I know Joey Vera played on this album and I was a big fan of his from his Armored Saint days. I was thinking of checking it out but was hesitant because of the latter FW albums I didn't care for. I think I will check it out since you recommended it. Thanks for the info. :)

nckissfan said:
Polyeidus and Force !0, where are you guys from? Charlotte for me. It is cool to find fellow Carolinians that are into SymX. I don't have too many friends that are into the music I listen to. Just two to be exact.

Hi there. I live in the Pinehurst area. I just moved down here about 1 year ago from Northern Virginia. I like it here and don't really miss DC, but miss Jaxx nightclub, where they've had some good shows over the past year, notably SX twice.

My in-laws still live in the DC area, so I may trek there for the SX show. I'm still thinking of going to ProgPower as well. So, depending on what happens would determine if I would see SX in Atlanta.

Force10, Pinehurst is a nice area. That is good you have a place to stay if you travel to a show. I did that for the DT/QR/FW show in Tampa. My aunt lives in that area. I would love to go to Progpower. It sucks that we have to travel to see great bands play.

Scanner313, if you are afraid of not liking A Pleasant Shade of Grey, then you should try downloading a song or two. You might be surprised. Their latest album, Disconnected, is also a good album. Joey Vera is a great addition to the band. He brings a lot of depth to the band.

the first power metal band i liked was Dream Theater - I found out about them about 14 months ago

the first power metal band i liked was Blind Guardian - i discovered them about 1 year ago

I still prefer the prog stuff to the power metal.

nckissfan said:

I'm in Greensboro and have been all my life. I like it here. It's got a nice balance of community, music, schools, and entertainment.

I'm working on getting a ticket to prog power as we speak. If everything goes well, I'll be there!