Kirk Hammett vs Alexi Laiho

Who is better at soloing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"One" was/is/has been a great song since it came out oh so many years ago.....damn, do you realize that was 17 years ago? i just realized that. what a bunch of old fucks man. anyways, back to my point. although its a great song all around, the guitar work (what we are talking about) just doesnt compare to alexi. as it was said before...kirks solos just fit the song. nothing more. nothing less. the guitarists that make the songs alone are what constitutes them as being the greatest

dilema1362 said:
"One" was/is/has been a great song since it came out oh so many years ago.....damn, do you realize that was 17 years ago? i just realized that. what a bunch of old fucks man. anyways, back to my point. although its a great song all around, the guitar work (what we are talking about) just doesnt compare to alexi. as it was said before...kirks solos just fit the song. nothing more. nothing less. the guitarists that make the songs alone are what constitutes them as being the greatest

The song sucks big amounts of guacamole. And oh, you're acting like a fanboy again. I thought you said you were going to quit acting like one? Oh well :p

#1-im acting like a fanboy again??? when was the first time? and a fanboy of who? if youre going to make accusations of any sort, at least be prepared to back them up with some sort of factual statement or evidence. God, youre worse than the Green Party liberals
#2-if there was no 1st time, i know for damn sure i never said i was going to quit anything....except maybe smoking, but i quit quiting on that front.
#3-oh well is right. even if i was a "fanboy" whats it to you? you dont have to be bothered by my presence and likewise.

dilema1362 said:
(just to be a dick)
The only thing kirk wipes is the drool off his chin and the stain in his pants after gawking at alexis unbelievable talent concidering hes like 10-15 years kirks junior

Fanboyish? I think so, yes. My definition of a fanboy is someone who exaggarates a lot when it comes to the talents of his/her favourite band, and acts as if this band is sooo much better than all other bands that exist.

You're right about that you never actually said that you were going to quit being a fanboy, I confused you with someone else. But upon reading your answer to the "Attack Of The Trolls (Sticky)" thread, and noticing that you agreed 110% with the thread starter (who claimed that a lot of the CoB fans are way too fanboyish for their own good), I thought that you'd seen the slight error of your ways. But oh well. *Buries the hatchet nevertheless*

Alexi may be better technically, but from my point of view Hammet's solos have more feeling. Anyway, it's a matter of taste.

@henrik-i know its long, but please read

this is not arguing, or debating for that matter...i would just like to clear up a few things.

You must have missed the humor in that post (hence "just to be an dick")
I have been a fan of metallica's since i was 8 years old, hell...they turned me onto metal. i will always have the utmost respect for their work (with the exception of st. anger) because they did take so much care into pouring their heart out through their music whether it be bluesy rock, thrash, etc. They were in it for nothing but the music, and up until the whole napster thing you would have heard me saying just that...but then along came greed, and the horror that is corperate music labels (as a communications major i have thouroughly researched the shitstorm that record labels have bombarded onto the music industry, but thats for another time and another place.)

although that post you quoted was very much exaggerated, that was the point. this thread was a tasteless attempt at humor to begin with, so i was going to go along with the lack of tact that is this "trolling" bullshit. i was agreeing with Magsec in the sticky thread, not that CoB fans are too "fanboyish," but rather, theres just no need to be, period. for any fan of any band, and that it is pointless to add fuel to the fire when it comes to people who post in this forum (or any forum for that matter) simply to start fights.

do i honestly believe that Alexi Laiho has more talent at the age of 25 than kirk hammett does now at the age 35? yes, i do. do i think that kirk, though he's a great musician, hasnt ever gone over the top to make his music the best it can be? yeah, i do. but thats just an opinion i hold.

I will not, nor will you ever see me make a (serious) claim that Alexi is the greatest guitarist ever, because i do not believe it's true. What i will say is that Bodoms' music is very pleasing to my own sense of musical taste, and that when it comes down to choosing a band that i, myself, find to suit my own personal likes over all the rest, Bodom would be on the top of that list.

i dont feel that i have made any error in my ways, so i dont feel the need to see them. the problem with the medium that is internet text, is that sarcasm (and cynicism for that matter) is often very difficult to pick up on.

*covers hatchet in kerosine, lights hatchet on fire, collects ashes of hatchet, blows ashes into the wind*
I hope i've cleared up any misunderstandings in the type of person you see me as. I am an asshole, yes. Im not a blind, obnoxious (well, sometimes,) Bodom-worshiping, closed minded fucktard.

i think kirk is not a bad ass but alexi is kick ass and kicks whoevers ass...well...not everybody's ass but he is better than other ones that are named guitar gods.

Kirks are more melodic and would appeal to more of the everyday person, but Mr. Laiho's have way more scales and sweeps added in. Being a musician i would have to pick alexi.and come one irk hammet "OVER-RATED." Well actually everyone in metallica "OVER-RATED" (waits for others to start chanting)

And To whoever made this thread why did you capitalize kirk hammet?

Pita Bread said:
You say Alexi plays uncreative and cliche solos? Take a listen to Mr. I-tap-in-every-solo Kirk Hammett and think again.
kirk doesnt tap in every solo but he does rape the dorian mode and wah's the fuck out of every solo

Kirk Hammet: overly repetive abuse of the minor pentatonic scale

Alexi Laiho: creatively developed neoclassical solos, utilizing natural minor, pentatonic minor, and harmonic minor, which above all fit the songs.

I guarantee you that any solo from Metallica that sounds good (master of puppets, etc.) was written by Hetfield. I guarantee you. I love Metallica, I really despise Hammet. The reason Load sucked is because Hammet insisted on writing more.

little side note: Hammet FAILED as a student under Joe Satriani.

well...i dont know lots of metallica but the lines about the technique of both guitarists are real.

i think kirk had some cool sounding stuff but its not on the technical level of alexi's. i think alexi has alot more to offer than kirk. i mean in speed alone kirk could learn alot from alexi. i can get alot more into cob stuff than metallicas also. real subjective but i think alexi is the better guitarist.

Status
Not open for further replies.