KISS: THE ELDER

METALDUDE

Metal Defender
Apr 6, 2006
U.S.A.
OK I admit it! I like KISS!! :kickass:

I know the Elder is hit and miss with the fans but c'mon! I think it's a pretty good "power metal" album for the day! For KISS of all bands too!

The OATH!!

Epic pieces like Fanfare/Just a Boy

anyway...good,bad ugly? Favorites? Trash it?

Do what you will! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a KISS fan since about '75 and I've barely ever given it the time of day...maybe one day I'll get the urge to hear it in it's entirety.

Holy shit, this song is RAD. I knew when I saw the critical response for this, it had to be either THAT bad, or totally rad. Rad in that "fuck, are they actually doing this?" sense, it's like Led Zeppelin meets Styx meets BOC; what a trainwreck! I should buy that copy of the elder that no one picks up at my local record shanty...

Holy shit, this song is RAD. I knew when I saw the critical response for this, it had to be either THAT bad, or totally rad. Rad in that "fuck, are they actually doing this?" sense, it's like Led Zeppelin meets Styx meets BOC; what a trainwreck! I should buy that copy of the elder that no one picks up at my local record shanty...

So does that mean you dig the tune? :heh:

The Elder is awesome, no matter what anyone says. Of course, I grew up on KISS, whom I still have a love/hate relationship with, partly because of contradictions like that album. When it came out they were, of course, fully behind it. Then, when it failed, they acted like it never existed. KISS only seems to admit the existence of their successful albums. Lame, and very corporate that. That being said, you are right, Just a Boy rules - as do Under the Rose, The Oath, Odyssey, and Only You. A very good record...
Unmasked is not the crapfest everyone says it is either. Another good lost KISS classic.

I've always heard KISS were fans of Steve Marriot and Humble Pie. I've been relistening to Live at the Fillmore lately, and the influence is obvious. That album's is practically the blue print for Alive I.

That record never did much for me, but I love the trade "I" - plus it helps that Hair of the Dog did a killer cover of that track.

When it came out they were, of course, fully behind it. Then, when it failed, they acted like it never existed.

Yeah, that's always pissed me off about bands. You did it, whether it was good or not, you were a part of it and were fully behind it.

The Elder is awesome, no matter what anyone says. Of course, I grew up on KISS, whom I still have a love/hate relationship with, partly because of contradictions like that album. When it came out they were, of course, fully behind it. Then, when it failed, they acted like it never existed. KISS only seems to admit the existence of their successful albums. Lame, and very corporate that. That being said, you are right, Just a Boy rules - as do Under the Rose, The Oath, Odyssey, and Only You. A very good record...
Unmasked is not the crapfest everyone says it is either. Another good lost KISS classic.

I've always heard KISS were fans of Steve Marriot and Humble Pie. I've been relistening to Live at the Fillmore lately, and the influence is obvious. That albums is practically the blue print for Alive I.

A man who knows his shit! Good knowledge my friend!!!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I bought this album twice - once in its original LP release and then many years later as a remastered CD so I admit that it's not that bad. The Elder has its moments, but it never achieves the greatness that it strives for. It will always be the odd man out in the KISS catalog. Not the worst KISS had produced but far from their best.

A man who knows his shit! Good knowledge my friend!!!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I was a KISS fan when the album came out, a huge one. And of course, the Internet didn't exist yet, so I had no idea that it (or they) sucked - haha. Thank god for the internet, it teaches me time and again what sucks!

As to Kiss, the useless trivia I have in my mind about them would be considered an embarrassment by many. I spent every dollar I could scrape together on KISS LPs as a young one. They were my first concert (Animalize tour - sadly two years after they took off the makeup, but still cool). I remember getting the Elder on cassette, and to be fair about it, Kiss had already fallen from favor with the public, before its release...but I put it in, not really realizing that, and frankly, I didn't see it as such a huge departure from everything else they did, and I loved it. I also probably didn't quite realize that there weren't that many loyal Kiss fans out there anymore. I lived in a small town, and just assumed A LOT of people liked them as muh as me. The whole Kiss idea was practically begging for a concept record. Also, as some might remember, they were actually planning to make a movie about it at one point early after its release. It flopped, so that didn't happen. Information moved slower back then though, and I'm pretty sure that it took me at least a couple of years to realize, "Oh, that ain't gonna happen." haha

I was a KISS fan when the album came out, a huge one. And of course, the Internet didn't exist yet, so I had no idea that it (or they) sucked - haha. Thank god for the internet, it teaches me time and again what sucks

It's funny, I was the same with Psycho Circus from Kiss. Absolutely loved that album (still do, but not as much). Thankfully the internet set me straight.

I didn't see it as such a huge departure from everything else they did, and I loved it.

See above. :p

I love KISS as well. I enjoy this album. My favorites: The Oath, Only You, Mr. Blackwell, Escape From The Island, and of course Dark Light because I just absolutely love Ace Frehley :D ... the solo is epic!

It's funny, I was the same with Psycho Circus from Kiss. Absolutely loved that album (still do, but not as much). Thankfully the internet set me straight.

See above. :p

I thought Psycho Circus was good too, especially the Ace Frehley track. Also, Carnival of Souls is awesome, so far as forgotten Kiss albums are concerned.

I was a KISS fan when the album came out, a huge one. And of course, the Internet didn't exist yet, so I had no idea that it (or they) sucked - haha. Thank god for the internet, it teaches me time and again what sucks!

As to Kiss, the useless trivia I have in my mind about them would be considered an embarrassment by many. I spent every dollar I could scrape together on KISS LPs as a young one. They were my first concert (Animalize tour - sadly two years after they took off the makeup, but still cool). I remember getting the Elder on cassette, and to be fair about it, Kiss had already fallen from favor with the public, before its release...but I put it in, not really realizing that, and frankly, I didn't see it as such a huge departure from everything else they did, and I loved it. I also probably didn't quite realize that there weren't that many loyal Kiss fans out there anymore. I lived in a small town, and just assumed A LOT of people liked them as muh as me. The whole Kiss idea was practically begging for a concept record. Also, as some might remember, they were actually planning to make a movie about it at one point early after its release. It flopped, so that didn't happen. Information moved slower back then though, and I'm pretty sure that it took me at least a couple of years to realize, "Oh, that ain't gonna happen." haha

You make alot of good points.

When I was a kid I always thought they needed a bit more of a concept. Destroyer put that thought in my mind and God Of Thunder alone actually gave Gene's charachter a bit of charachter.

I like Psycho Circus also..though Peter and Ace got the short end of the stick..it was like an early 70's record in the fact that it was short and simple and to the point.

A cd I could cruise through and spin it again.

Hot in the Shade was cool but the hardest one for me to sit through and get's the leasts spins to this day. I was happy for Revenge.

It may have alot to do with Ezrin..who is a fantastic producer (The Wall and all early Cooper records).

With about 4,000 cd's here (my wife is gonna kill me...no I keep it neat and organized) I NEVER picked up "LIVE AT THE FILLMORE"..

Bad Metaldude. Your Humble Pie reference is making me want to go back out and revisist them...I must own this...:lol:

Thanks for bringing that up!

I only hope the new KISS record is going to be cool,with Paul producing and recording analog as opposed to digital. He's shooting for a classic 70's sound.

I wish Gene would also become Gene again..and just be the rocker he used to be. Always a smart guy,but with a balance. His balance is shifted. Bruce Kulick spoke of that about him,teased him for getting off track..and that for Revenge..he "got his brain back"..I think he lost it again.

I hear Paul has 9 tracks for the new CD with Gene only having 3 (Tommy has one)..this tells me that Paul is still working harder on the music than Gene. I hate to think it's just another $$$ excuse for Gene on this recored. Gene PLEASE get back to rockin'!

We need some more Watchin' You's!!

:kickass: