KK quits Priest!

I wonder why he did? And what's with the replacement? Couldn't Priest get anyone better known? So many questions.

Whatever the reason is, it's sad to hear.

Here's an official press statement

It is with regret that judas priest announce that K.K. Downing has formally retired from the band and will therefore not be joining them on their forthcoming epitaph tour.
The band respect his decision and naturally all wish him well.
Having thought long and hard about how to proceed, rob, glenn, ian and scott unanimously agreed that they should go ahead with the tour and not let the fans down all around the world.
Fate also stepped in and delivered the perfect replacement -31 year old British guitar player Richie Faulkner - he has blended into the band perfectly and is a great talent who is going to help set the stage on fire!
The Epitaph tour will include songs from every Priest studio album and also tracks they have never before performed on stage plus all the old favourites!
With a new album due to be released next year the metal gods are preparing to tour the planet once more - heavy metal at its best complete with lasers, lights, bikes and hellfire!! It’s a show not to be missed!!

Well this is really bad news. I wonder if he's recorded his parts on the new album.

I'm still going to see them though. I've got to catch the last tour, I've only seen them once before.

Pretty sad indeed. But considering Halford vocals these days they should consider a full retirement for the sake of the band memory.

I disagree. People have being saying that for ages but I suspect they just caught them on a bad night. He nailed every song last time I saw them.

Halford still sounds good enough to make me want to spend $60 on a ticket.

I wonder if KK's decision had to do with a possible health / family issue?

Halford with Priest is not what he once was but indeed still sounds good enough. It's just the fact that he never moves on the stage anymore and always read his teleprompter that killed the show a bit for me (the last 2 times I saw Priest, in 2005 and 2008). He really looks like an old man on the stage, even more when you compare him to a guy like Biff Byford, who is the same age or so, or to R.J. Dio (R.I.P.), who was much older).

On the other hand, Halford now looks more comfortable being on smaller stages with the Halford band, being less static and less dependant of the teleprompter. Why? I don't know.

i know i'm not a regular poster on this forum, but when i caught wind ot this, i just had to say that this sucks. priest ain't priest without, in addition to Halford, that legandary Tipton/Downing guitar duo. what pisses me off though, is that at first they said they'd retire but then a few months later, they said "no, this isn't the end of the band. we've got a new record coming, blah blah blah." then this happens, and they want to go on without him. fuckin' ridiculous

Pretty sad indeed. But considering Halford vocals these days they should consider a full retirement for the sake of the band memory.

This is supposed to be their farewell tour, so sounds like full retirement was already in the plans.

The way I see it it's not the end of the band just a final world "major" tour. They will probably have tours in the future but nothing worldwide.

On January 27, 2011, it was announced that Judas Priest was in the process of writing new material; the band also clarified their plans for the future, saying that "...this is by no means the end of the band. In fact, we are presently writing new material, but we do intend this to be the last major world tour."

This is crap news indeed ... but in the light of their pending scaled down/selective retirement, I'm sure it's understandable. I still don't understand why it HAS to be just prior to their farewell tour .. so dunno if there is foul play or a legit family/health concern.

Anyhoo, as capable as he seems to be, I doubt this new chap is going to have much creative input and will probably only be there to make sure the bottom end does not drop while Glen solos. Just strap a flying V on him and let him grow his hair.

I agree. Plus the world does not need another 'Nostradamus'...

If Nostradamus were remixed and the wailing/keyboard crap chopped, it would be (is) a very solid effort.

Sorry Brandon, I'm with Joe on this one. The only reason I have the album is because I won it in a giveaway contest. And quite frankly AOR was not a very neat comeback for someone who just delivered "Resurrection" and "Crucible" to the world, moreover I like way more MOM (except for 'The Mower') than all JP releases since "Painkiller".

@wdiv: It supposed to be their farewell tour, but now sounds kind like a maybe we go or maybe not. In anycase can you make a farewell tour without KK? :err:

KK's statement, taken from Blabbermouth:

"Dear friends,

"It is with much regret that I will not be with you this summer.

"Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concerns about my health. Please rest assured that I am OK.

"There has been an ongoing breakdown in working relationship between myself, elements of the band, and the band's management for some time. Therefore I have decided to step down rather than to tour with negative sentiments as I feel that this would be a deception to you, our cherished fans. However, I would urge you to please support the PRIEST as I have no doubt that it will be a show not to be missed.

"All my love and respect."