JUDAS PRIEST NOOOOOOOOOO!

'Tis indeed sad news. It's been a year of sad news for the "old guard" with this, the Scorpions announced retirement and, of course, the passing of Ronnie.

Fav Priest song / album:

"Beyond the Realms of Death"

wow.....for album, it's either "Sad Wings", or "Hell Bent / Killing Machine" or "British Steel" or "Stained Class". Impossible for me to choose from these classics!

Yeah, Scorpions retiring sucked, but not as much as I think Judas Priest retiring will. And the passing of one of the greatest metal vocalist was as bad as the two retirements combined- if not worse.

Killing Machine is my favourite album although it has to be said Jugulator is right up there too!

Favourite song is probably "Victim of Changes" (and "Burn In Hell"!)

It is too bad but it has been coming for some time now. Almost all of them are nearing their 60s and Glenn is even older. When I saw them at Graspop a few years ago Rob could hardly sing the high notes and I thought that 'Nostradamus' was a disaster. I think its the right thing to do. They leave behind a very impressive legacy and helped to consolidate the genre.

Here are their ages:

KK Downing = 59
Ian Hill = 59
Rob Halford = 59
Glenn Tipton = 63
Scott Travis = 49

Favorite album: Sad Wings of Destiny
Favorite song: Beyond the Realms of Death

You know, Priest was the band that introduced metal to me as a 15-year old, so of course this hurts. But still, I cant blame them. 40 years in the music buisness is more than most bands have ever spent.

But the mark Judas Priest has left in heavy metals history woun't just go away. They will live on forever!

Favorite album: British Steel, sure, mainstream and all, but still a fucking masterpiece.

I agree with Hawk, it HAS been coming for some time now. Metal is not a genre where you can go on into old age and still play and sing with the same intensity as you did when you started. Unless you do as Robert Plant has done and abandon hard rock completly and move to another genre more suited to your voice. We know that Priest would never tone it down so I think it's the right decision to retire while they can still rock hard.

Judas Priest fans are lucky they went this far into their career. They are getting older now, and if they want to retire they can because they put in their share of great metal classics. If they are out of fuel then they are out of fuel so it's better they call it quits than to make fools of themselves and tarnish the legacy.

The article just says that they're not planning to do any world tours. It doesn't necessarily say that they won't be recording new music or doing occasional shows.

The mighty mighty Priest. Sad to see this, but then again, I understand. Rob still does sound pretty good. Might as well go out while it still means something. I admit I'm a little surprised, all the talk from them in the last few years has been, 'we've got a lot of gas in the tank,' kindo of stuff.
Retirement will not erase that awesome back catalogue though. Damn strait I'll be catching of these shows.

Defenders of the Faith has always been my favorite JP album. I've seen them 3 times (twice in 1986, once in 2005).

Top tracks (in no order):

Sinner
The Sentinel
Victim of Changes
The Hellion/Electric Eye
Heading Out to the Highway

honorable mention: Out in the Cold, Bloodstone, Riding on the Wind, When the Night Comes Down, Jawbreaker, Saints in Hell, Dissident Aggressor

Damn shame :cry:

Dreamer Deceiver/Sad Wings.

Fan for almost 30 years. Met the band twice (Japan & Canada) and have seen live many times. Have all the albums and enjoyed the Ripper era.

I think Y&T will be next due to Phil's cancer :cry:

The article just says that they're not planning to do any world tours. It doesn't necessarily say that they won't be recording new music or doing occasional shows.

I agree ... all the press releases I read only mentions that this is their last world tour. So I assume there will still be the odd festival gig eetc and new albums.

Also, I have been a Priest fan since 83 and as much as I would want them to continue, I hope this does not become an Ozzy/Kiss scenario where it becomes the absolute final final farewell reunion farewell tour vol 7 for quitters ...

It's always sad to see one of the all time greats call it quits, but these guys are getting free coffee at McDonalds and senior citzens discounts.

British Steel

Well they're easily one of my favourite bands, if not the favourite band. I'm glad I did manage to see them once. I'm almost definitely going to High Voltage festival.

Shit if I don't catch maiden soon this might happen with them and I'll never see them.

:(