Krank Rev. Jr. clip...V30 cab vs. impulse

colonel kurtz

Sep 7, 2006
i know this has been done a lot on here lately(and well, a lot in general), but i saw someone earlier mention that they wanna hear clips of the rev jr. with impulses, so here goes:

EDIT: the esnips link sucks, so try soundclick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=887564

http://www.esnips.com/web/hecatomysStuff

signal chain:
jackson PS-4-->SD blackout(bridge)-->krank rev jr.

for the cab, the signal went:
avatar 2x12-->SM57-->mackie onyx pre
the 57 was placed about an inch to the right of the center of the dustcap, perpendicular to the cabinet

for the impulse, the signal came out of the rev jr's line out, and into the instrument input in the onyx...after that i slapped boogex onto the track with poidaboi's ENGL V30 impulse.

EDIT: i also added a track with kazrog's 2x12 impulse - i went with the 6L6 SM57 impulse, since it most closely matched the miced setup

and no, there was no TS used, and no post-processing whatsoever, aside from the built-in filters in boogex

amp settings:
krank channel, boost on, FX switch engaged, FX send level maxed
sweep = 7
bass = 3
mid = 6
treble = 8
master = 5
gain = 5
and those are the numbers on the dials, not the "o'clock" values

keep in mind that this was a pretty quick test...i didn't play with the mic position AT ALL, the room is untreated, the cab is in a shitty spot, the playing is sloppy, the strings on the guitar are older than shit, etc. etc. -- but i guess it gives an idea of what you can expect using said gear/setup

you're right on that one - it doesn't work for me either. guess i should've checked that before i posted it!

i thought this esnips shit would be nice since you don't have to d/l the clips to listen, but not if it won't play the damn file!

*signs up at soundclick*

And on that note, I think the mic'd clip sounds the best by far, has a lot more body than the others. Could use a little more highs. Cool stuff!

i'd agree that it sounds worlds "better", but i know that much better sounds can be coaxed out of this thing

in the end, though, i think it's pretty easy to hear the difference between the mic'ed clip and the impulses, which was really my goal in the 1st place

i liked the engl impulse, but as far as i know, you don't get powertube saturation through impulses or whatever, so definitely tweak with the mic a bit and you should have some sweet tonegasms.

if i ever get around to having a place to record, i'm gonna have to check one of these out.

if i ever get around to having a place to record, i'm gonna have to check one of these out.

yea, it sucks not having a "proper" place to track anything

at least at my last crib, i had an extra bedroom to stick my gear in...now i have all me and my wife's shit, plus my guitars, amps, computer, monitors, rack, etc. all crammed into 1 bedroom, and it totally blows

hopefully i'll be buying a house in the next couple months that has a 16x28 building out back with 14-16 ft. vaulted ceilings...$5 says you can guess what i'll be doing with that space, muwahahahahahahahaha

haha awesome.
i'm in the one room situation right now too and in the process of being evicted because that dickhead that has the lease didn't pay rent when the other two of us paid him. fuuuuck. i'm actually probably gonna be living in my car if my friend that i'm doing some work for won't let me stay on his couch. shit is weaker than weak right now!

DAMN DUDE, my sympathies...living in your car, jesus christ! I just hope you find time to get on the internet at your local public library so you can keep poastin' :lol: Seriously though, good luck with that man!

And Kurtz, I'm looking forward to listening to these tomorrow, but it's just too late now, I'm afraid!

haha awesome.
i'm in the one room situation right now too and in the process of being evicted because that dickhead that has the lease didn't pay rent when the other two of us paid him. fuuuuck. i'm actually probably gonna be living in my car if my friend that i'm doing some work for won't let me stay on his couch. shit is weaker than weak right now!

do what a friend of mine did when he moved out of his parents at 18...

rent a storage unit with electricity so you can hook up a microwave, heater, and a TV or something, and crash there at night....then hit up all the gyms around you for free 1-week memberships, and take showers and all that there

dude did this for 3 months while saving up 1st month's rent and deposit on his first apartment...

Hahaha, holy shit, the free gym membership thing is brilliant and yet SOOO sketchy, but I love it! Necessity is the mother of invention (or innovation), after all...

rent a storage unit with electricity so you can hook up a microwave, heater, and a TV or something, and crash there at night....then hit up all the gyms around you for free 1-week memberships, and take showers and all that there

dude did this for 3 months while saving up 1st month's rent and deposit on his first apartment...

Nice one, sounds like a fucking good idea.

sweet.
There actually is some storage unit for like $295 a month.
also, I know the code to a place that has shower, just can't get busted!

i seriously don't mind living in a storage place, if it's remote enough, i might actually be able to turn shit up!

i was about to move back to TN, but got involved in this legal shit and have to figure out how to stick around.