Krank vs.5150 vs. Recto which one do you like best?

your favorite tone?

• Amp1

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Amp2

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Amp3

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
and another "guess the amp" thread from me...

seems like I'm not able to dial out my "signature-sound", lol...they just sound pretty similar ;)

which one do you like best?

Amp1
Amp2
Amp3

btw, try as well to blen them (should be in phase)...here's a blend of 2+3 for example....thickens things up:

Amp2+3

I know, 3 is a bit bass-heavy...didn't want to reamp again ;)

I like how tight/defined the mutes sound overall.

Clip 1 has that tight Low and present upper-mids, more refined (smoother edges) tone which makes me think 5150
Clip 2 seems to have the flubbiest low (noticeable under the mutes) and scooped mids which makes me think Recto
Clip 3 has that big tight Low and some lower-mid tone, overall a bit less refined than the 5150 which makes me think Krank.

I am not sure whether knowing the answers influenced me here though into thinking this. o_O

I agree on the signature tone thing. I think we all dial the amps in to what our ears like to hear which makes sense. Room tone and a mic'd tone unfortunately can be 2 vastly different things. Look at it this way, we typically set up the amp for a sound we like out of 4 X 12 inch diameter speakers, then we try to capture this sound with a 1 inch diameter Mic. :zombie: This is then our signature sound I guess.

Right or wrong, at the moment what I am trying is to firstly get a mic position that gives a balance between definition and fizz (with basic/ballpark settings) and then adjust the amp to suit to give me the recorded tone regardless of room tone. Might not be the best Room tone or the correct way to do things, but I am liking the results so far..............................probably not tomorrow though.:ill: