L2 go heavy...

Tommy Gun

...might be drunk.
May 31, 2008
RVA-USA
This is just a rant... But it drives me bat shit...

Please... LEARN TO PLAY HEAVIER GAUGE STRINGS...

If you're playing a 24.75" scale 6-string, tuned to Drop C, your 6th string should be a fucking .060 when you're tracking. I could give a damn what you use live (I'm not coming out to watch you anyway), but if you're going to track guitars, TIGHTEN UP (LITERALLY)! Don't be a pussy! SRV used to play GHS Progressives .013-.056 in E FLAT!!! Eat your Wheaties and GO BUY NEW STRINGS!!!

Thanks. :bah:

+1000000 and think of a few more zeros, I really love using thick strings, but I am a bass player, too.
Had to record a guitar player once, using a 24,75" scale in Drop C with .046 as his thickest string...
that tone just sucked, and he wasn't hitting very well, too, it just sounded like pure shit.

i wish i could use 60. strings, well i didn't try but i think it won't fit my sperzel tuners holez....right?

I use Elixir 12-52 on my drop C# 24 fretter. The tension is excellent and the thing stays in tune all the time.. I'm sure guys with locking trems and nuts have a much easier decision when it comes to strings and such, but for me, the only thing that works is Elixir Heavies with that beautiful wound G.

i wish i could use 60. strings, well i didn't try but i think it won't fit my sperzel tuners holez....right?

To my knowledge, the Sperzels will take the .060 but I don't have anything with Sperzels myself. I use these.

My Gibson Flying V is in E flat atm, with Ernie ball Power Slinkys (.011-.048), low is too loose, so I'm changing to .010-.052 this week.

Haha, agreed on the heavier string points. Also, I use those tuners they :headbang:

I don't remember if it was the .60 or .70 I had to do it for, but the Sperzel locking tuners required a slight boring of the hole. Not too much, just a little. Easily fixed with a drill bit.

edit: didn't realize you said 22.75"

Actually I said 24.75", but the same tensions should apply to a 25.50" scale with a floating trem, considering the "give" in resistance from the tremolo. Not that ANYONE should EVER track rhythm guitars with a floating tremolo! And honestly, if you're not a sissy, you can go this heavy on a 25.50" scale with a fixed bridge.

I don't remember if it was the .60 or .70 I had to do it for, but the Sperzel locking tuners required a slight boring of the hole. Not too much, just a little. Easily fixed with a drill bit.

guess i just have to try it, hope the tuner does not get fucked up! :lol:

from what i hear, lighter strings sound more ballsy and thicker strings sound tighter. opinions on that statement? i play skinny top heavy bottoms with my guitar in A# right now. but i want to switch to something with a .60+ at the top. just want it to sound heavy and tight. like within the ruins-esque.

Actually I said 24.75", but the same tensions should apply to a 25.50" scale with a floating trem, considering the "give" in resistance from the tremolo. Not that ANYONE should EVER track rhythm guitars with a floating tremolo! And honestly, if you're not a sissy, you can go this heavy on a 25.50" scale with a fixed bridge.
It was a typo, haha. Anyhoo, I am on a 25"5 guitar tuned in B standard and .59 is heavy enough. Actually, I can't find heavier strings here, and that .59 I am getting it from a 7 string set, even though I one a 6-string.

When my V was tuned to B, I bought individual strings and I think it was something like 13-17-26-36-46-60

I tune my King V to C standard and use 13-56. I suppose I could go heavier, although I'm not sure my tuners will allow for much more. I made that mistake once before where I bought a set that was heavier and the lowest string wouldn't fit through the damn tuner. I don't recall the size of that heavier set I tried though.

I tune my King V to C standard and use 13-56. I suppose I could go heavier, although I'm not sure my tuners will allow for much more. I made that mistake once before where I bought a set that was heavier and the lowest string wouldn't fit through the damn tuner. I don't recall the size of that heavier set I tried though.

Yeah, aftermarket tuners are usually a must for me.

I used to use 10-52 for standard E on my 6 string, and i like at least a 60 on my 7 string, but i would rather i had a 60 or even a 70 and the 7 string is a 26.5 scale guitar, a wimpy 58 or 60 just don't cut it :D

LOL

I'm not the one who has to deal with your low B string wobbling in and out of tune pal. That's all you. :D

Actually the Low B isn't the issue with me. I have intonation problems with the G string on my 6 string and the High E being inconsistent over the frets as its time for new strings. I would like to go higher,something like 9-58 for my 7 string and something like 12-58 for my 6 string, but the current set I am using is the heaviest I can get at any music stores before they have the wound g string which I refuse (and the plain is so thick it has NO resonance), I am not a fucking rhythm player, plain g for me only.

To me you can't go any higher than a 60 on a 25.5 before they loose resonance and just become dull "thuds" with no sustain. If you want to go lower or want heavier gauges, you need at least a 27 inch scale, which I have debated before, but as weak as my hands are (I have extremely poor grip), I couldn't handle the extra tension.

Actually the Low B isn't the issue with me. I have intonation problems with the G string on my 6 string and the High E being inconsistent over the frets as its time for new strings. I would like to go higher,something like 9-58 for my 7 string and something like 12-58 for my 6 string, but the current set I am using is the heaviest I can get at any music stores before they have the wound g string which I refuse (and the plain is so thick it has NO resonance), I am not a fucking rhythm player, plain g for me only.

To me you can't go any higher than a 60 on a 25.5 before they loose resonance and just become dull "thuds" with no sustain. If you want to go lower or want heavier gauges, you need at least a 27 inch scale, which I have debated before, but as weak as my hands are (I have extremely poor grip), I couldn't handle the extra tension.

You have intonation issues because the strings aren't thick enough. Also, you don't go heavier with a 27" scale. The longer scale provides extra string tension on it's own. As for a .060 putting out nothing but a "thud" on a 25.50" scale, I think Jeff Loomis might argue that point with you. His 7-string is down only a half-step and his strings are 10-13-17-30-42-52-70. Pretty sure he gets plenty of resonance/sustain from his 7th string. Ya think?