Lamentations

the production quality on the DVD is definitely good, excellent sound, excellent camerawork and lighting. two major problems though:

-obviously the lack of older material
-mikael is one of the lamest frontmen i've ever seen

BANNEDadrian said:

well, it was nice knowing you for that short amount of time, I'll let everyone else eat you alive.

whatever... say what you will, but let's be honest. he takes extremely long pauses where he just says nothing and stares at the crowd/drinks water. he says typical "heavy metal" rile-the-crowd-up phrases, but whimpers them into the microphone so timidly you'd think he was in a courtroom. his "jokes" are only funny because they are delivered so poorly, and because his english is terrible.

at least his music is good

BANNEDadrian said:
the production quality on the DVD is definitely good, excellent sound, excellent camerawork and lighting. two major problems though:

clearly you haven't seen them in concert then, asshat
he is subdued on the DVD, but MAN is he great in concert

It would have been nice if they could have played some older stuff though.

i believe the reason for no older stuff is the record labels:) if they used orchid for examle, they wouldve had t gain permission from candlelight and pay royalties and everything so it was easier just to stick with music for nations recorded albums.

BANNEDadrian said:
whatever... say what you will, but let's be honest. he takes extremely long pauses where he just says nothing and stares at the crowd/drinks water. he says typical "heavy metal" rile-the-crowd-up phrases, but whimpers them into the microphone so timidly you'd think he was in a courtroom. his "jokes" are only funny because they are delivered so poorly, and because his english is terrible.

i dunno... mike is PRETTY funny... lets turn this place into... i dont know... into HELL!

BANNEDadrian said:

Come on jackass. Yeah the long pauses are gay, but I think he's fucking hilarious. I mean its the context to - you wouldn't expect something like Mikaels material from a band like Opeth. Opeth arent an ordinary band in any sense :Spin:

biggsy said:
i believe the reason for no older stuff is the record labels:) if they used orchid for examle, they wouldve had t gain permission from candlelight and pay royalties and everything so it was easier just to stick with music for nations recorded albums.
Obviously you're a dumbass.

biggsy said:
i dunno... mike is PRETTY funny... lets turn this place into... i dont know... into HELL!
right, but that's exactly my point. he didn't mean that to be a joke, it's like you're laughing at him, not with him

BANNEDadrian said:

gtfohippo.jpg

Love the DVD, one of my all-time best purchases. Flawless executions of songs, incredible sound clarity. Can't wait to see them on the 29th April! One thing I learned is that Mikael and Peter share the lead guitarist position! Mikael is so humble... genuine nice guy. They put everything into their performance. The solo on Hope Leaves permeates everything.

Opeth are incredible. Easily one of the best musical groups in history. And the fact that none of their albums have bombed out speaks volumes.

God Bless Opeth!

BANNEDadrian said:
right, but that's exactly my point. he didn't mean that to be a joke, it's like you're laughing at him, not with him

No, Mike is just a funny person, and his english is good. Read his lyrics and get back to me.

martyrs_price said:
No, Mike is just a funny person, and his english is good. Read his lyrics and get back to me.
his lyrics... which are written, and which he can spend as much time with as he wants. you can't tell me that he speaks well, because he definitely doesn't

I see your point that he isn't a walking dictionary, but the vocabulary that he does have is pretty refined and he knows how to say when he needs to. As far as the long pauses on stage, I think that's some funny shit.

a fair judgement live is so fucking awesome, i've watched it over and over and over *melts*

on the mikael issue, yeh he's a bit geeky, but just listen to the music the man produces! hes not a fucking public speaker, hes a musician, and one of the best around.
As for his english and his mannerisms, that just adds character. There are enough smooth gits out there that churn out image-based music. Give me Opeth anyday. Mikael is one of the best frontmen ever.

well, i suppose a fan-based opeth forum isn't the best place to get balanced, thoughtful opinions on the band

If you saw them live you'd think different, i saw them in birmingham last September and he was hilarious and there were no pauses. His english was great as well.

I haven't seen the dvd to comapre though.

Mikael is an awesome frontman with enough grasp of english language to write decent lyrics. Most of his lyrics are amazing, the only line that bugs me is from R/HF

Into the trees
Past meadow grounds
And further away from my home
Baying behind me
I hear the hounds
Flock's chasing to find me alone

Flock's to describe a pack of dogs seems pretty strange to me. It looks like he used a thesaurus to look up a different word for "group" and picked a wrong one. But maybe i am missing something...

Everything about Opeth are amazing and they are head and shoulders above anything else!:worship: :worship: :worship: