New Metal Member
Sep 30, 2005
www.archive.org
Hi,

Recently I did a short comparison between 3 amps:
20W Hesu Little Bastard
60W Laney Ironheart
120W Peavey 6505

Mic position and preamp level are all the same for all recordings.
Tell me which on do you prefer?

Last edited by a moderator:
HESU is very nice little amp. A lot of attack and clarity. I think it's because of 2 EL 84 in power amp.
I'm also interested how it sound on something else than V30.

The Laney sounds exactly as I'd expect it to, I've had a 120 watt Ironheart for a while now. A bit dry and plasticy on its own but it works well when double tracked and stuck in a mix. The Peavey sounds mean and thick. I've often felt like the Ironheart is like a less thick and less saturated 5150 type and I guess that comes across a little here. I don't like the high end attack on the Hesu in this clip personally.

The Laney sounds exactly as I'd expect it to, I've had a 120 watt Ironheart for a while now. A bit dry and plasticy on its own but it works well when double tracked and stuck in a mix. The Peavey sounds mean and thick. I've often felt like the Ironheart is like a less thick and less saturated 5150 type and I guess that comes across a little here. I don't like the high end attack on the Hesu in this clip personally.

I agree. For me Laney is also a less saturated Peavey, with similar gain structure and better cleans :)

The Hesu I thought was easily the worst sounding of the three. I hate the plastic sounding attack. Sounds very unnatural. The Laney and Peavey sounded pretty similar with the Ironheart edging out the Peavey ever so slightly to my ears.