Latest setlists

Killermik said:
I would more go with Nt3n explaination and actually i have the feeling that Dark Tranquillity is always hurrying when they tour.
They should really stop doing first part and headline, they deserve it and with good first parts it would not be a problem.
They would then have more time to play more songs, take their time a bit more, and include more "specials" songs.

actually when they played in Belgium last december, on the tour with Chimaira, they were headliners. But You should have seen how the room was crowded for Chimaira, and then how more than half of the people left before DT started to play :cry: ... I guess thats why they dont do a big tour as headliners :mad:
at least you can be in front and not being pushed by tons of people at a DT concert :)

It was surprising. When I saw them in NYC on the Character tour, the Hypocrisy crowd all left, so I thought I'd get up against the rail. But almost right away, a whole DT crowd swelled in. Plintus, you remember what I'm talking about?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they end with My Negation that night? That was done so well live...

~kov.

Dark_Silence said:
actually when they played in Belgium last december, on the tour with Chimaira, they were headliners. But You should have seen how the room was crowded for Chimaira, and then how more than half of the people left before DT started to play :cry: ... I guess thats why they dont do a big tour as headliners :mad:
at least you can be in front and not being pushed by tons of people at a DT concert :)

The fact is, and to be straight, for me, as a Dark Tranquillity fan, Chimaira, Kreator and Hatesphere (Ektomorf ? lol) are pure shit.

What I am saying is that the people who did the choice to have all these group together are totally WRONG. I had someone i know coming to see Chimaira and he wondered why on earth a first part (ie DT) was playing so long...and he found it boring.

It is as simple as that : pick up melodic death metal band (or something similar) and do a coherent tour. I bet you didnt have theses problemes of crowd leaving on the In Flames + DT (and Soilwork? i dont remember) tour. But nowadays it seems that people have weird way to think.

And the "question of money" thing doesnt work for me : when you tour with band whose fan wont like you, you wont sell more albums. People who like you not that much wont spend their money for you and only your true fan will come, and these ones either have the albums or are such stupid mp3 downloader they wont buy them anyway...
Now if you tour with another band similar to you, their hardcore fan might end up buying your albums and idem with us for the other bands...

Killermik said:
It is as simple as that : pick up melodic death metal band (or something similar) and do a coherent tour. I bet you didnt have theses problemes of crowd leaving on the In Flames + DT (and Soilwork? i dont remember) tour.quote]

US tour 2002: In Flames, DT, Sentenced (and I guess KSE, but they sucked so hardcore only about a dozen - I'm not making this up - actually stayed in the stage area to watch them)

Character: Saw DT with Soilwork and Hypocrisy (as well as Mnemic, but they weren't too bad.)

~kov.

I have only seen DT twice, on a festival and this concert I was talking about. Even at the festival, there were not a lot of people at the show. I like it that way, but it is sad that they are not recognised as I think they should be...
As for Chimaira, i dont like them either...

I am talking about the European tour. Thanks god, some people still have good idea and i bet the tour your attended was more fruitful for DT than the European one.

I guess in that sense, we luck out in the US. Sure, we only get one show every two years or so, but they have to team the bands together to bring them over. Although it seems that's becoming less and less true.

~kov.

Killermik said:
and almost none of us is happy with Final Resistance beeing played.

Uh, no. I think it is a great live-song (although I don't like it much on the album) and certainly prefer them closing their setlists with it, instead of some weaker songs like At Loss for Words. And I know there are others who agree with me.

The thing is, even the most hardcore DT-fans can't agree on which songs are the best. Granted, there are a few "commonly recognised" masterpieces (Lethe, Insanity's Crescendo), but there are far more "unheralded" songs some people worship and others dislike (Nether Novas, Still Moving Sinews).

Also, many songs that sound great on the album might not work too well in live situations. Auctioned, I'm afraid, is one of those songs - it would really slow down the gig too much.

Now, the usual DT setlist is aimed at those who haven't seen them live that often. Which means that they must play all the classics or people are disappointed. I remember how back in Tuska 2004, right after the incredible DT-experience so many of us shared, I met a couple of my old friends I hadn't seen in ages. Still excited by the show, I asked them what did they think about it. One of them replied:

"No Lethe. We only got Punish My Heaven, where's Lethe?"

It was futile to try to explain that we just got a dozen other great songs - they had come to see DT play Lethe and Punish My Heaven. And heck, I can't really blame them. I went to see Amorphis a while ago and was waiting for the Black Winter Day all through the set, even though they were playing many other great songs.

With all that said, I have to agree that some sort of variation would benefit the current DT-setlists. I don't really mind what songs they are taking away, but they should try to include a few more "surprises" now and then. I've never been a great fan of Of Chaos and Eternal Night or Scythe, Rage and Roses, but when they had chosen to include two such old songs to their set at the beginning of the Character-tour I thought it was most refreshing.

-Villain

How DT are supported by other bands I guess it's a pure matter of commercial promotion done by century media and tour managers.. so it's no fault of the band :)

btw, hatesphere are a great band.. very intense, extremely enthusiastic and very kind too. I like their style a lot!

Nt3N said:
How DT are supported by other bands I guess it's a pure matter of commercial promotion done by century media and tour managers.. so it's no fault of the band :)

Never said it was :)

@Villain : I agree for the classical songs : thats why they must headline if they want to do a cool show : some classical, and others :)

I disagree on slowing down a show : it s Dark Tranquillity, not The Black Dalhia Murder.

Dark Tranquillity have a lot of cool slow songs (actually Lethe is slow compared to most of the other) and for me they lose a bit of their identity by not playing them and puting out the slow part (like the one at the end of Through Smudged Lenses which would be so cool to hear live - and would let us breath a bit)

Killermik said:
Dark Tranquillity have a lot of cool slow songs (actually Lethe is slow compared to most of the other) and for me they lose a bit of their identity by not playing them and puting out the slow part (like the one at the end of Through Smudged Lenses which would be so cool to hear live - and would let us breath a bit)

Actually, I think they played that ending for us, at least a bit of it.
I believe it's how they entered into My Negation.

And Hedon's just about the same speed as Lethe. And that's another one I'd love to hear (not just see on the DVD) live.

~kov.

Villain said:
Now, the usual DT setlist is aimed at those who haven't seen them live that often. Which means that they must play all the classics or people are disappointed. I remember how back in Tuska 2004, right after the incredible DT-experience so many of us shared, I met a couple of my old friends I hadn't seen in ages. Still excited by the show, I asked them what did they think about it. One of them replied:

"No Lethe. We only got Punish My Heaven, where's Lethe?"

It was futile to try to explain that we just got a dozen other great songs - they had come to see DT play Lethe and Punish My Heaven. And heck, I can't really blame them. I went to see Amorphis a while ago and was waiting for the Black Winter Day all through the set, even though they were playing many other great songs.

-Villain

That remainds me of Graspop 2005... Iron Maiden was playing, I wanted to see them for a few songs I like. I wanted to hear Fear Of The Dark, but they never played it, although all the crowd asked many times for it.... but instead they played Prowler, a really old song... So it was still a great surprise

For the classics in DT setlist, there are some I always like to hear, but i agree that some changes are good too. For Lethe, I would like them to play the intro on the bass... it sounds great with the keyboard too, but I prefer it with the bass...

Villain said:
With all that said, I have to agree that some sort of variation would benefit the current DT-setlists. I don't really mind what songs they are taking away, but they should try to include a few more "surprises" now and then. I've never been a great fan of Of Chaos and Eternal Night or Scythe, Rage and Roses, but when they had chosen to include two such old songs to their set at the beginning of the Character-tour I thought it was most refreshing.

Absolutely totally.

I've only ever seen DT once, and truth be told they've been my favourite band for 4 years now, just not been lucky enough to catch them the few times that they've breifly graced my homeland. Because of this, it doesn't bother me that they play more classic songs when they come over.

However, because I read about the sets on here all the time, I pretty much know what's gonna get played. I too would love to be surprised.

That said, I don't actually dislike any DT songs. They could play their 10 worst songs and it would still be a better set than most.

Dark_Silence said:
For the classics in DT setlist, there are some I always like to hear, but i agree that some changes are good too. For Lethe, I would like them to play the intro on the bass... it sounds great with the keyboard too, but I prefer it with the bass...

It definately sounds better on bass! You think it´s becouse Michael cant play it as well as Henriksson or do they do it so Brändström gets something to då?

As i live in Stockholm, i hoped they would play a few more "rare" songs here becouse they already have a large fanbase here, but alas not... :mad:

They did play Freecard though, and although it´s not that common that they play it (or?), it´s definately not one of my favourites (though still really good, it´s dt! :) ).

Makaan said:
It definately sounds better on bass! You think it´s becouse Michael cant play it as well as Henriksson or do they do it so Brändström gets something to då?

i think they play it so that Brändström gets something to do... He would maybe gets bored if they didnt add keyboards parts in the older songs :p

They did play Freecard though, and although it´s not that common that they play it (or?), it´s definately not one of my favourites (though still really good, it´s dt! :) ).

They also played it in Antwerp last december, i think. But yeah, on all the setlists i have seen on this forum, they dont play it that often.

There aren´t that many electronic parts on "punish..." though. But doesnt Michael play on a four string? The version of Lethe that i play needs at least 5 strings to work propably.

Well thats not the one I learnt. I´ve played it with a guitar pro tab that i thought sounded correct, but mind you, im not the most talented person when it comes to hear notes and tones.
The one i´ve learned plays alot on the lower strings, using every string except for the high E. Dont have GP installed on the computer though, so I cant really find out which one of the ones on Mysongbook is the one i learnt.

can you reinstall it? :p i would like to have that tab? because the version i posted seems to have big espacement between the frets sometimes, and i could not do that on a bas, i have too small hands... it seems that it is a version for guitar, its easy to do on a guitar, but on a bass it doesnt seems so easy sometimes
and did you know that now you cant download from mysongbook anymore because of copyright proble

I discovered I actually only had one version of Lethe on my computer (still got the tabs). This version was really easy to play on guitar, and i could almost manage it on bas although i´ve never played bas before.

I discovered now that the tab was for guitar pro 3, but maybe you can open it with all versions.

Why did they shut down the downloading? And why is the site still there in that case?:confused:

Anyway, check your e-mail :)