Laying the Demon to Rest Tribute in AtWB?

The beginning of AtwB (the song) sounds too much like one of the recurring melodies of Mirror of Souls (the song). The chorus of Altar to the Unknown God sounds a bit similar to the chorus of Wages of Sin, and the second verse sounds a lot like a part from Mirror of Souls (again, the song).

That might be because they were all written by the same guy. It's what they might call his "style". Like saying that Matt is always plagiarizing himself with big choruses. Or that Iron Maiden sounds like ... Iron Maiden.

On a more serious "this song might be a tribute to this song" note,

Anybody else find a similarity between the opening of "I AM" and the opening of "Bless the Child" by Nightwish? Link is below.

When I first heard I Am, I actually thought I was on the wrong song in my library.
It's def. the same instrument, and the rhythm is very similar.

Just thought it was cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
That might be because they were all written by the same guy. It's what they might call his "style". Like saying that Matt is always plagiarizing himself with big choruses. Or that Iron Maiden sounds like ... Iron Maiden.

I know! I was just pointing out what I think is a fact. The beginning of AtwB is the one that actually bothered me a little, but the rest of the song sounds nothing like MoS and I got used to it. And, like I said in other threads, Altar is my favourite song in the album alongside I AM.

The beginning of AtWB is one of my favorite parts of the entire album. So is the end. The middle kicks freakin' butt, but for some reason very heavy songs/song parts take some time to get used to. For example, Demon is one of my favorite Theocracy songs, but for some reason I'm still not used to the super-heaviness, especially in the intro. It's also what's been holding me back from listening to too much more Symphony X. Kickass band, but for some reason heavy metalness takes getting used to for me. Don't ask why; I'm just me...

It's also what's been holding me back from listening to too much more Symphony X. Kickass band, but for some reason heavy metalness takes getting used to for me. Don't ask why; I'm just me...
Have you heard any of Symphony X's earlier material? They went in a much heavier direction starting with Paradise Lost and continuing in Iconoclast. Divine Wings of Tragedy especially might be right up your alley, classic album.

Actually my brother has played a lot of early Symphony X when he's been home from college on various occasions and I've liked them a lot. I need to look up their earlier stuff on Grooveshark. I'd do that now, but I'm currently listening through Break the Silence by Van Canto again...

Hey, have any of you noticed the little 'Gregarious Raconteur' tribute in the beginning of 'The master storyteller' ? THe guitar part sounds EXACTLY like the chorus of tGR. ;)

Have you heard any of Symphony X's earlier material? They went in a much heavier direction starting with Paradise Lost and continuing in Iconoclast. Divine Wings of Tragedy especially might be right up your alley, classic album.

Twilight in Olympus, Divine Wings of Tragedy, and The Odyssey are the 3 best albums for me! GOOD STUFF!

I'll admit V is great... but It's not my favorite. It sure is above PL, Iconoclast, and DG, as well as the S/T (which I actually find to be underated!!!!). So yeah. I guess it's because TiO, TO, and DWoT are what got me into them! V was a treasure I found later on.

So, if I were to have never heard Symphony X and decided to buy a good album of theirs without listening to them on Youtube/pirating it beforehand, what would it be?

So, if I were to have never heard Symphony X and decided to buy a good album of theirs without listening to them on Youtube/pirating it beforehand, what would it be?

Divine Wings Of Tragedy gets my vote. Of course, I seem to usually prefer the first album I listen to by a band, which was DWOT in the case of Symphony X.

If you lean toward more melodic, proggy music, go with V.

If heavier stuff is more your thing, go with Paradise Lost.

For something in between, go with The Divine Wings of Tragedy or The Odyssey - which, by the way, are my favorites. Also, the title tracks on those albums are two of the greatest songs ever made, and The Odyssey is my all-time favorite song next to Mirror of Souls.

I'll admit V is great... but It's not my favorite. It sure is above PL, Iconoclast, and DG, as well as the S/T (which I actually find to be underated!!!!). So yeah. I guess it's because TiO, TO, and DWoT are what got me into them! V was a treasure I found later on.

See, I never could get into Twilight in Olympus much. It's pretty good, but there just aren't many stand-out tracks. I consider it sub-par for a Symphony X album, though still better than anything most bands will ever release. Through The Looking Glass and Lady Of The Snow are awesome though. :)