Being picky about ATWB

I love that people have different opinions and different favorites among the three albums. I much prefer that to having everyone think the same album is the best. :) And I appreciate that you guys put so much thought into the music, and that it obviously means a lot to you.

It's funny how people hear things differently. I listened to the first album for the first time in years last night, and the thing that jumped out to me was how layered it was. I think in terms of keyboards, choirs, counterpoint lead guitar lines in the background, etc., that one is WAY more busy than MoS and AtWB. In fact, AtWB to me is easily our most stripped down and raw/basic album. Still layered, of course, but I think it strikes a nice balance.

And I just write what I like to hear, without worrying about how it fits neatly inside the Metal Rulebook. Ten "Laying the Demon to Rests" on an album would bore me to tears, as would ten "Light of the Worlds." I like variety, and I like for albums to take me on a journey and flow as a whole. And I don't really plan these things, because I like it to flow naturally. For example, a lot of the stuff I've been writing recently is more moody and Mindcrimey, kinda back to my earliest roots as a Metal fan. But who knows how the next album will end up on the whole--hopefully another nice journey with something for all of our fans. :)

Thanks for listening!

I love that people have different opinions and different favorites among the three albums. I much prefer that to having everyone think the same album is the best. :) And I appreciate that you guys put so much thought into the music, and that it obviously means a lot to you.

It's funny how people hear things differently. I listened to the first album for the first time in years last night, and the thing that jumped out to me was how layered it was. I think in terms of keyboards, choirs, counterpoint lead guitar lines in the background, etc., that one is WAY more busy than MoS and AtWB. In fact, AtWB to me is easily our most stripped down and raw/basic album. Still layered, of course, but I think it strikes a nice balance.

And I just write what I like to hear, without worrying about how it fits neatly inside the Metal Rulebook. Ten "Laying the Demon to Rests" on an album would bore me to tears, as would ten "Light of the Worlds." I like variety, and I like for albums to take me on a journey and flow as a whole. And I don't really plan these things, because I like it to flow naturally. For example, a lot of the stuff I've been writing recently is more moody and Mindcrimey, kinda back to my earliest roots as a Metal fan. But who knows how the next album will end up on the whole--hopefully another nice journey with something for all of our fans. :)

Thanks for listening!

Thanks for the reply Matt :) I do definitely see now what you mean, I guess what I meant to say was that the sound was too perfected? I think it is still a very interesting album, and yes, ten "Laying the Demon to Rests" really would be dull - I just think when you do have this kind of sound, it works VERY well for me.